Best travel rod case for airlines

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Bellyups, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

I am looking for a good rod case for traveling by plane. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
    Scott

2. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

i just bought a nature boys case. was between the nature boys and the carmate. i got the NB because of recomendations and just wanted to be different.lol. i'll let you know my thoughts on it monday. Brian

3. red34

red34 Guest

I made a few of them out of 3" and 4" black PVC (which looks much nicer than spray painting white PVC) with female end connections and screw in end caps. Add a $6 kayak handle from Academy and I have 3 -4 completely custom length travel carriers for less than 1 cheap Plano rod tube.

4. Grescobia

Grescobia Senior Member

check with minnow. He had one on the pv trip that held a bunch of rods . I think it was telescopic where it could be adjusted for any length rods and had wheels to tote it around.

5. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Scott,

I am very happy with my Plano model #6508 rod case.

This case will hold up to 7 spinning rods and up to 10 conventional rods, you will need to add form padding to both end of the case to prevent bent rod tip.

6. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Scott,

I am very happy with my Plano model #6508 rod case.

This case will hold up to 7 spinning rods and up to 10 conventional rods, you will need to add form padding to both end of the case to prevent bent rod tip.
    I brought the Plano Airliner 6508 to Panama. The other rod case which holds many rods is Bazuka Pro.

[​IMG]

7. gman

gman Senior Member

nature boys case from anglers pro shop gets the nod from me. I have a car mate case and it works fine but after seeing the nature boys case I will be buying that one shortly

8. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

How many rods can hold the nature boys case ?

9. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i have an old plano (actually my dads but i hijacked it) but am thinking about a newer model bazooka. it has wheels and is very big and roomy. i just need to check the padding out. its also pretty inexpensive.

10. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Thanks everyone. Looks like there are a lot of options. I will look into these, thinking I will go for the one with the wheels. At first I thought wheels would not be a big deal, but I would rather use wheels than drag or tuck a rodholder under my armpit.

11. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I have used many including home-made PVC ones. Schedule 40 PVC is strong, but its heavy and will shatter if dropped on concrete. One thing I don't like about the factory made round rod cases is that they roll all over the place and aren't crush friendly. You need a pretty long handle sticking off the round section to prevent rolling. I haven't bought the Plano brand but I did shatter one in sporting goods store once while giving it a stress test.:eek: Wheels would be nice but you need to get your arms in shape for the fish so a little arm exercise prior to the fishing is a plus. Can you stand on the Plano and have it not shatter or collapse?

Airlines are not friendly with luggage. The luggage guys have only one goal and that is to toss them in the carts and planes as fast as possible. They don't care whats inside the bags or cases. Your case will sometimes have thousands of pounds of luggage on top of them.

Make sure your choice of case is very strong. Stand on it. That's what I do. I almost bought the carmate but I think I would pancake it by standing on it, so I didn't buy it. Some people swear by it, so it must be pretty good.
    I haven't seen the nature boy case.

The strongest case I have found is the SKB. It's also very long but will only hold four 2-pc spinning rods. They say you can get up to seven rods in the case. Maybe, if they are all conventional and don't have unibutts. The thing I like about it is the strong triangular shape and the way it locks down. It does not roll. It's passes my crushproof test. The standard case will hold up to a 7' rod, but that makes the case very long. I think its 89" overall length. Until I find a stronger case, I'll continue to use the cut down SKB's/

I cut two of mine down.
    Look at http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f3/skb-rod-case-cut-down-3798/

Attached Files:

12. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Thanks everyone. Looks like there are a lot of options. I will look into these, thinking I will go for the one with the wheels. At first I thought wheels would not be a big deal, but I would rather use wheels than drag or tuck a rodholder under my armpit.
    The Plano Airliner I used had wheels. It was a big help to carry it with two other luggage.

13. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

14. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Wheels would be nice but you need to get your arms in shape for the fish so a little arm exercise prior to the fishing is a plus.

I cut two of mine down.
    Look at http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f3/skb-rod-case-cut-down-3798/

I'm not concerned about my strength. I am concerned more about the stink that will be left on the case. It could scare the fish away.

15. gman

gman Senior Member

i dont put too much into having wheels. You put the case in the car and then to the counter. Thats it. The nature boys case although it does have a bad name LMFAO is very well made. The carmate is good as well.

16. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

17. Iliveoutside

Iliveoutside Senior Member

The problem with most of the commercially available tubes is that if the airline guys wedge it in a door or something, and it gets a side load on it, it will bend in half--there goes all your rods.

The strongest rod tube I have found is a good ole Schudule 40 PVC pipe. If you can get your hands on Schedule 80, even better. Put a cap on one end, and a cleanout plug/female threaded cap on the other. Drill a hole through the square part of the plug, and carry a long carriage bolt in your other luggage to use a "wrench" for getting the plug out. The pressurizing/depressurizing of the plane makes it kinda difficult to get the plug out by hand. I heard somewhere that you should drill a hole in them, for this reason, to prevent them from exploding. I don't buy that because a 4" schedule 40 pvc pipe is rated to 150PSI--thats about 4 times the pressure in your tire--I don't think the pressurizing/depressurizing could bulge it. If you are worried about it, though, pretty simple to drill a hole in it.

I would challenge any commercial tube to this challenge: lay it over a pair of saw horses so that just the ends are on the horses, now sit on it, if it will hold you up (and you are a decent size guy), then it is probably a good tube. These PVC tubes hold me, and I am pushing 270lbs.

I don't bother with any spray paint. I put stickers on them to decorate them, and then after a few trips, they start building some "character", kinda like the old "steamer trunks".

18. red34

red34 Guest

i have an old plano (actually my dads but i hijacked it) but am thinking about a newer model bazooka. it has wheels and is very big and roomy. i just need to check the padding out. its also pretty inexpensive.

I used a bazooka for 1 round trip flight and it was a gonner. I might have gotten a bad one or a bad bag handler, but I'd keep looking.

19. red34

red34 Guest

If I'm not mistaken, TJ (Minnow) told me that he carries his OTI 2 piece rods on just in their rod socks and gives them to the flight attendant to put in the suit closet that is in the front of most planes. Have any of you guys ever tried to get by with this? I have built a collection of about 7 2-piece rods of all sizes, including both OTI models. I have (2) 8-12# bay rods, a 17-20# light popping spinner, 25# conv, 50# conv, 50# OTI spinning, and 80# OTI conv. I plan to make or buy sleeves for all of them to match the one from my OTI so that I can grab what I'll need and wrap them up as 1 to carry on.

Can anyone confirm or deny that they've carried rods on like this??

20. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

If I'm not mistaken, TJ (Minnow) told me that he carries his OTI 2 piece rods on just in their rod socks and gives them to the flight attendant to put in the suit closet that is in the front of most planes. Have any of you guys ever tried to get by with this? I have built a collection of about 7 2-piece rods of all sizes, including both OTI models. I have (2) 8-12# bay rods, a 17-20# light popping spinner, 25# conv, 50# conv, 50# OTI spinning, and 80# OTI conv. I plan to make or buy sleeves for all of them to match the one from my OTI so that I can grab what I'll need and wrap them up as 1 to carry on.

Can anyone confirm or deny that they've carried rods on like this??

I would be interested in knowing as well. Unfortunately, knowing me, I would probably leave them on the plane.:eek:

21. Castmaster

Castmaster Senior Member

When I bought this cheap Plano travel rod holder I thought it wasn't going to last. I bought it for its adjustable and lockable design and being not too bulky. Well after many trips to Cabo and even a trip to the Philippines, I was surprised it held up pretty well and kept my rods well protected. It has survived abuse by baggage handlers and airport conveyor belts. It has some battle scars/scrapes on the tube surface, a veteran of memorable fishing trips. The max number of spin jigging rods I was able to fit in there was four, properly bundled of course. It does have a "Fragile Handle with Care" sticker that the airline stuck to it that I never removed. Maybe I've just been lucky that it held up after so many trips. I'm thinking of retiring it and not to push my luck. :D I've looked at the SKB rod carrier, it really is solid; the only thing I didn't like about it is the length is not adjustable. The bazooka looks solid too.

[​IMG]