360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swear I did the searching, and I know this has had to be covered before. BUT, I am planning for next year and wanted to know, should I be looking for an ideal tidal or moon phase to plan my trip around? I normally just planned around a weekend that would work, but I haven't been in a few years and I want to do everything in my power to try and make the trip a good one.

If it were a normal fishing trip In the gulf I would be targeting the new moon probably, or right after the full moon? or on the 1/2s. Any input would be much appreciated.

AA

·
Just a guy who likes to fish
3,058 Posts
If you're looking at March I think the best thing is to plan on days when the weather cooperates and you can actually get out there. :D I always book three days hoping to get at least one in.

·
193 Posts
Weather is definitely the key on the OBX. You can't catch them if you can't get through the inlet.

·
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
haha, well obviously not being blown out is key, but since I can't plan for the weather now, which is when I book these trips, what three days should I shoot for?

I think April first is a new moon? so should I be shooting for a couple of days around that? or maybe around the April 9th 1/4 moon? Full moon is on the 16th, etc...

Thank you for the help!
Aaron

·
Just a guy who likes to fish
3,058 Posts
April 1 the season will more than likely be closed ( has been closed in March the past two years when I've fished) so it will be catch and release. Just FYI, the past two years I haven't seen one caught under 400 lbs. Not saying they haven't, I just haven't seen it. Lots of big ones out there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts