360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

141 - 160 of 219 Posts

·
6,097 Posts
Any one have success landing a YFT with a spinning rod using stickbait/swimbait such as:
Daiwa Saltiga Dorado Slider or Pencil or Popper or Hiramasa,
Tailwalk Gunz 160S,
Tackle House Shibuki or Flitz,
Shimano Ocea Pencil ?
Yes.....
flitz/Souls bomber
shibuki/maguroni
dorado slider
gunz 160

never fished an ocea pencil.

why do you ask?

·
6,097 Posts
they'll all work at some time or another, but that little halco
is just magic, I guess. Plus, it's cheap and rugged.
I remember before the halco max 130, it was the Shibuki.
It caught A LOT because it got fished A LOT by everyone.
Before that it was the Tuna Hunter popper.
I guess that's part of it, the more it gets fished, the fishier it gets.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Very new to this forum and very new to tuna fishing but have been offshore a bunch. I’d say the best tactic is to be there in the boat and if your not catching watch what is working and be prepared for the half dozen ways that do work on any given night :) Anyways taking my first trip next week and here is a simple jig/rig box that I built with a Plano box from Home Depot, some chopped pvc and rivets.

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Okay, so I'm just curious about the tactics used, and the percentage rate of them? What I'm talking about is jigging, popping, chunking, flyers and Halcos. If you only had one choice and chance, which would it be?
So, the reason I started this topic was to help get an edge on the 10/22 trip that my son and I went on, and it worked. Both us each got our first YF, both in the 50lb range, both on Halcos. Just wanted to give out a big "THANK YOU!" to everyone's input on this thread! Capt. Matt was awesome as always, with a top notch crew of deckhands that work hard for you. Thanks everyone! (Waiting patiently for the spring schedule now....lol!)

·
Registered
85 Posts
So, the reason I started this topic was to help get an edge on the 10/22 trip that my son and I went on, and it worked. Both us each got our first YF, both in the 50lb range, both on Halcos. Just wanted to give out a big "THANK YOU!" to everyone's input on this thread! Capt. Matt was awesome as always, with a top notch crew of deckhands that work hard for you. Thanks everyone! (Waiting patiently for the spring schedule now....lol!)
did y'all get any by catch or just the tuna with the Halcos. No jigging?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
did y'all get any by catch or just the tuna with the Halcos. No jigging?
Man, we had zero luck at jigging and chunking. But, the hot bite seemed to the Halco's, even though Capt. Matt went back to the same spot that a couple days earlier was most productive on chunking. Don't get me wrong here, there were still a of BF caught jigging, but we were focusing on the YF bite most of the night. BTY, the Cuda's were killing us too....

·
6,097 Posts
Man that's great to hear! congrats on your trip!

·
65 Posts
Question on chunking. I went on my first trip a few weeks ago and learned quite a bit, but did not catch my first YFT yet so I hope to go again before the year ends. I had bought a box of sardines with went into the boat ice box in the back of the boat. When it came time for me to try chunking, the sardines were gone and the icebox empty. No surprise there.

Anyway, when it comes to chunking a BFT, do you guys hand it to the deck mates to cut up for you, or do you just do it yourself? I didn't see anyone do it themselves but I'm guessing if I have a fish cut up I suppose it will go to the community. The BFT didn't come without effort so I'd like to maximize my YFT fishing time if possible.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Question on chunking. I went on my first trip a few weeks ago and learned quite a bit, but did not catch my first YFT yet so I hope to go again before the year ends. I had bought a box of sardines with went into the boat ice box in the back of the boat. When it came time for me to try chunking, the sardines were gone and the icebox empty. No surprise there.

Anyway, when it comes to chunking a BFT, do you guys hand it to the deck mates to cut up for you, or do you just do it yourself? I didn't see anyone do it themselves but I'm guessing if I have a fish cut up I suppose it will go to the community. The BFT didn't come without effort so I'd like to maximize my YFT fishing time if possible.
A couple of weeks ago

Several weeks ago on my trip, there was a Cuda and a small blackfin sacrificed at the cutting table. One of the awesome deckhands jumped in and started chunking them up for everyone. Hope this is answers your question....

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
A couple of weeks ago

Several weeks ago on my trip, there was a Cuda and a small blackfin sacrificed at the cutting table. One of the awesome deckhands jumped in and started chunking them up for everyone. Hope this is answers your question....
Sorry for the "couple of weeks ago" comment....I was replying and my phone slipped and I hit send accidentally...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #158

Hey Brian10, do you have a rod that you can chunk Halco's with? I'm not saying that this is better thank chunking, but seems to be the preferred choice lately. It was definitely the most productive bite on the trip that I went on...

·
65 Posts
Hey Brian10, do you have a rod that you can chunk Halco's with? I'm not saying that this is better thank chunking, but seems to be the preferred choice lately. It was definitely the most productive bite on the trip that I went on...
I do and will definitely give it a try next time. I just wanted to be prepared for the next trip with whatever method is working best.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
I do and will definitely give it a try next time. I just wanted to be prepared for the next trip with whatever method is working best.
Okay cool. You have the same mindset as I did when I went
You got that right....they may not touch a Halco on the next trip, you just never know?

141 - 160 of 219 Posts