Best Tactic for YFT on GPB?

Discussion in 'Charter Boat & Party Boat' started by Mpro2, Aug 4, 2020.

1. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Yes.....
    flitz/Souls bomber
    shibuki/maguroni
    dorado slider
    gunz 160

never fished an ocea pencil.

why do you ask?

fillet2release likes this.
  2. awesum

awesum Senior Member

I've had a lot of luck with the Calypso pencil

calypsopencil.jpg

Attached Files:

redgarvey likes this.

3. redgarvey

redgarvey Member

Curious, all I mostly see mentioned is the use of Halco Max130 or 190.

4. lite-liner

they'll all work at some time or another, but that little halco
    is just magic, I guess. Plus, it's cheap and rugged.
    I remember before the halco max 130, it was the Shibuki.
    It caught A LOT because it got fished A LOT by everyone.
    Before that it was the Tuna Hunter popper.
    I guess that's part of it, the more it gets fished, the fishier it gets.

5. GreenBroker

GreenBroker Senior Member

Another great lure me and my buddies use is the Yo-Zuri high speed vibe lure in Holographic pink.

Hooks do not need replacing like on Halcos.
    5 1/8" | 130mm 2.82 oz. | 80g
    Sold as a trolling lure but has worked great casting.
    High Speed Vibe.jpg

6. lepidus23

lepidus23 Member

Very new to this forum and very new to tuna fishing but have been offshore a bunch. I’d say the best tactic is to be there in the boat and if your not catching watch what is working and be prepared for the half dozen ways that do work on any given night :) Anyways taking my first trip next week and here is a simple jig/rig box that I built with a Plano box from Home Depot, some chopped pvc and rivets.

Attached Files:

jshorty, Capt.matt and Mpro2 like this.
  7. fishingben

fishingben Member

Everyone just listen to captain Matt. He has seen every single yellowfin perish on the cold metal decks of the new Bucc.

Stevo and Gonefishings like this.
  8. scubaarchery

scubaarchery Senior Member

I have tried lots of swimbaits, I have had the most luck with the Halco and they are way cheaper than some... that said, throw what you have and like...

Gonefishings and GreenBroker like this.
  9. redgarvey

redgarvey Member

Yo Ben, you get a discount when booking with GPB?

10. fishingben

fishingben Member

I wish.... dropped like 3k in tickets this year haha.

11. Mpro2

Mpro2 Well-Known Member

So, the reason I started this topic was to help get an edge on the 10/22 trip that my son and I went on, and it worked. Both us each got our first YF, both in the 50lb range, both on Halcos. Just wanted to give out a big "THANK YOU!" to everyone's input on this thread! Capt. Matt was awesome as always, with a top notch crew of deckhands that work hard for you. Thanks everyone! (Waiting patiently for the spring schedule now....lol!)

Stevo, jshorty, lite-liner and 2 others like this.
  12. Illy

Illy Active Member

did y’all get any by catch or just the tuna with the Halcos. No jigging?

13. Mpro2

Mpro2 Well-Known Member

Man, we had zero luck at jigging and chunking. But, the hot bite seemed to the Halco's, even though Capt. Matt went back to the same spot that a couple days earlier was most productive on chunking. Don't get me wrong here, there were still a of BF caught jigging, but we were focusing on the YF bite most of the night. BTY, the Cuda's were killing us too....

Dobhar-Chu likes this.
  14. lite-liner

Man that's great to hear! congrats on your trip!

Mpro2 likes this.
  15. Brian10

Brian10 Member

Question on chunking. I went on my first trip a few weeks ago and learned quite a bit, but did not catch my first YFT yet so I hope to go again before the year ends. I had bought a box of sardines with went into the boat ice box in the back of the boat. When it came time for me to try chunking, the sardines were gone and the icebox empty. No surprise there.

Anyway, when it comes to chunking a BFT, do you guys hand it to the deck mates to cut up for you, or do you just do it yourself? I didn't see anyone do it themselves but I'm guessing if I have a fish cut up I suppose it will go to the community. The BFT didn't come without effort so I'd like to maximize my YFT fishing time if possible.

Mpro2 likes this.
  16. Mpro2

Mpro2 Well-Known Member

A couple of weeks ago
    Several weeks ago on my trip, there was a Cuda and a small blackfin sacrificed at the cutting table. One of the awesome deckhands jumped in and started chunking them up for everyone. Hope this is answers your question....

17. Mpro2

Mpro2 Well-Known Member

Sorry for the "couple of weeks ago" comment....I was replying and my phone slipped and I hit send accidentally...

Gonefishings likes this.
  18. Mpro2

Mpro2 Well-Known Member

Hey Brian10, do you have a rod that you can chunk Halco's with? I'm not saying that this is better thank chunking, but seems to be the preferred choice lately. It was definitely the most productive bite on the trip that I went on...

19. Brian10

Brian10 Member

I do and will definitely give it a try next time. I just wanted to be prepared for the next trip with whatever method is working best.

20. Mpro2

Mpro2 Well-Known Member

Okay cool. You have the same mindset as I did when I went
    You got that right....they may not touch a Halco on the next trip, you just never know?