360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

201 - 219 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Humboldts are a trip to catch, slabs, chunks, fresh dead or live they are killer. Ya gotta have a raincoat on when catching them and the showers afterword are mandatory. If your good at getting them over the rail you can make them squirt ink bigtime. nothing quite like a squid ink fight with 25 guys.... On a 14 day trip off the ridge on the pacific side of Baja, we found a massive school of humboldts at night. out came the raincoats and plastic trash bags... this was an inkfest and we got out of hand soaking each other... We saved about 100 of em live and chunked the rest. The following morning I dropped about a 20 lber down, it bolted to the bottom and only maid it about 20 fathoms in less than a minute when that was sucked up. when the dust cleared a few hours later there were 22 YFT over 200 lbs in the RSW. It was amazing, not one of the humboldts made it past 40 fathoms without getting demolished...

After all the live humboldts were gone we chunked the squid and banged away at 40 to 100 lbs all day... biting right at the boat... amazing trip. The most wide open bite i have ever experienced, eating chunks as soon as we tossed them in. It was so violent at one point we used jack poles and a feather and watched each other flail away at trying to get 40 to 100 lbers jack poled over the rail. One guy put a barbie doll on a jackpole hook and got whacked as soon as it hit the water

Humboldts are quite dangerous, the beak is the real deal and if they get ahold of your arm, only a knife will get them loose. I use an 11 aught mustad and hook them in the bait tank then hoist them out. Dont let them grab the rail, you will have to cut the tentacle off since they are that strong.

Probably not a GOM type bait, but i have never seen anything like that damned humbolt for instant hook ups of such a violent nature... Not one humboldt got down to 900 feet deep where they stay during the day... They run straight down fast too... and then, hold your breath, its coming.... Wham... 130 lb spectra singing away

https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLhwS2jiwIE&data=04|01||7fe9bf5d07b646b6986108d8c4696164|84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa|1|0|637475304166586749|Unknown|TWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0=|1000&sdata=lbhJ0skI+omUbUpfA59NJZxC9iTnh/WZ05r01pA9b/E=&reserved=0

D-C
Great, now there is yet another type of fishing I want to try. Guess I have to find my way to the west coast. I would love to do one of the long range trips, if there was some squid fishing involved it would be even better!

How do you prepare those big squid? I've had squid before but its always been the little ones in calamari or other preparations. Never had a big squid like that to work with.

·
5,081 Posts
Great, now there is yet another type of fishing I want to try. Guess I have to find my way to the west coast. I would love to do one of the long range trips, if there was some squid fishing involved it would be even better!

How do you prepare those big squid? I've had squid before but its always been the little ones in calamari or other preparations. Never had a big squid like that to work with.
You can catch them in the Baja, in the Sea of Cortez.
They can be caught from any of the fishing towns,
also on the west coast too.
"Long Range" trips from San Felipe Mexico
to the Midriff Islands for 6 days.
Look up Tony Reyes Sportfishing.
I made a half dozen of these trips, mothership I used
has since sank.
You will catch squid at night off the mothership. Probably
2 or 3 nights, depends if the boat is repositioning at night.

You clean Humboldt the same way as you do smaller squid.
You end up with thick steaks.
One difference, there is a clear membrane on the INSIDE
of the squid that must be removed as well.
Raw, it tastes like Abalone.
Cooked, properly, it is very good as well.
It taste similar to regular squid when cooked.
Firm meat, not gooey as DC suggests.

·
Registered
151 Posts
HJ, i know two people who were on tony's rust bucket that sunk and lost all their gear... and no free trip comped either. Tony is a scoundrel, he sunk that boat and everyone but the insurance knew better.... ahhhh Mexico... And I agree...The mothership trips were the best for 40 lb yellowtail and the currents through the midriff need a local knowledge captain. The midriffs is the home of the jumping water phenomena... crazy tides and currents when the two currents join up an hour or so after peak hi and peak low tides. I have not witnessed the jumping water, but many i have fished with have and are glad to have made it home... I talked with the TR crew of his new boat at Fred hall two years ago, They said the Giant sea bass were making a comeback, not sure if i would eat one with all the colorado river farm effluence that washes into that area of the Cortez in the Bahia. I prefer rocky point (Puerto Penasca)to San Felipe and when i fish there i let the giant seabass go and keep the yellowtail...The road is new from the California border to Penasco so you don't have to have 3 spare tires to drive down there anymore. Mex 1 is not so good still... and if you breakdown on Mex 1 the will have your car stripped faster than then on the cross Bronx expressway...

PS, you can have my humboldts if you want them HJ, I just cant bite into them... reminds me of tripe and i have a hard time with that too

D-C

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks for the videos HJ. That is definitely a larger scaled operation than cleaning your standard issue calamari sized squid! Looks good though. I will definitely give it a try when I get the chance. I had squid steak only once before and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

·
5,081 Posts
HJ, i know two people who were on tony's rust bucket that sunk and lost all their gear... and no free trip comped either. Tony is a scoundrel, he sunk that boat and everyone but the insurance knew better.... ahhhh Mexico...
I never fished with Tony Reyes, was a little too "rough" for my taste.
I fished on the Erik, owned by Gustavo Velez, another character,
and originally partners with Tony.
I chartered the entire mothership, the Erik, 5 times,
also charted his other mothership, the Andrea Lynn 2 times,
once in Sea of Cortez, another for an 11 Day trip out of Mag Bay.

Stopped chartering the Erik over safety concerns,
boat sank several years later, killing one fisherman.
We got caught in a similar wind storm on my last trip,
sprang a leak in the hull, and I forced the captain to
return to the anchorage we had left a half hour earlier,
otherwise, we would have probably sank on that trip.

The Andrea Lynn was a very nice mothership by Mexico
standards, huge, he eventually lost that one to the bank.
I believe its a long range dive boat now.

Trips to Mexico, oh, the fun and adventures.
:)

xc1.jpg

xc4.jpg

Reactions: lite-liner

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
All this time I have spent trying to figure out how to catch YFT on GPB, and now I guess I need to focus on catching 20-50lb squid!!! Jeez, Lol!! Thanks for the great stories!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I thought I had some adventures in my life but somehow I think DC and HJ really know adventure. I'm looking at that boat and I'm jealous. I'm going to have to wait till my son is old enough to go start doing fun stuff again. I'm glad HJ is back, he keeps the forum lively.

·
320 Posts
I'm relatively new to 360, but isn't asking HJ about SPJ about the same as throwing kerosene on a fire?
Recently back from 6yr respite myself. Did not know HJ is a SPJ aficionado.

Looking to get into SPJ...

·
Registered
151 Posts
HJ. We’re you in mag bay for the striper run? Amazing... tagging and releasing 10 Striped marlin a day is often the average during the mag bay shoot out... a little further offshore are the Shark buoys and that is wahoo and dorado Country... there too Ten a day 50 to 80 lb wahoo is the norm as you troll buoy to buoy.

phenomenal fishing there HJ... great place for a charter

D-C

·
Registered
94 Posts
And yes, Red, many have told me the PL68 and the 200 gram Tady flutter wont work in GOM... I have to bring them this fall and at least try them. The PL68 glow in the dark has been berry berry good to me... When the big ones are holding in 20 to 40 fathoms, the PL68 gets past the 40 lb'ers to whats holding deep.. Ya works great in Pacific... Ill know if the work in GOM soon...

D-C
You'll be surprised by how strong the current is in the GOM. That's why the super narrow profile jigs such as the benthos are so popular. PL68 would probably work in relatively low current conditions, I have gotten bit on the tady 14a heavy in blue-chrome in such conditions, but in stronger current it just ends up really scoping out and it seems like the wrong presentation to me. I'll speedjig colt snipers for blackfin on occasion and need to use 100g, whereas I'd be using a 42g on the west coast.

·
2,084 Posts
In the northern GOM the average current speed is around 1.6 knots. That will push a light jig.

·
5,081 Posts
Can you SPJ with the 'Lep Stick'?

:confused:
I offered one of the Lep Sticks to a couple of the guides,
they turned it down, didn't like the feel.
I suggested they use it as a bait rod on the mothership
for catching Sardines.
They told me, Mierda.

I did the same on a trip to Huatulco, on the pacific coast,
offered a guide a lep stick, told me to take it home with me.

·
5,081 Posts
Recently back from 6yr respite myself. Did not know HJ is a SPJ aficionado.

Looking to get into SPJ...
I would suggest waiting on bit on SPJ
because
eSPJ is coming.

Electric jigging reels, specifically designed for slow pitch fishing.
Attach reel to SPJ rod, attach jig to line.
Place rod in rod holder,
press green button on the reel.
The reel will work the SPJ jig for the angler,
since many find difficulty in doing this properly.
Once fish is hooked, reel will bring fish to the surface.
Call mate to net or gaff fish.
Mate unhooks fish, and your hands have stayed clean
while catching a fish.

No more fishy tasting sandwiches.
You have a hand free at all times for the beer, plus no spilling.
And a second free hand for the phone to take selfies
and post online.

eSPJ is the future.

·
5,081 Posts
PS, you can have my humboldts if you want them HJ, I just cant bite into them... reminds me of tripe and i have a hard time with that too
D-C
Take your squid and slice them thin, like 1/4th of an inch.
Marinate in a brine that is heavy on brown sugar.
Smoke infuse and try to dehydrate them a bit, jerky dry.

Dried squid and beer go together great,
trade out the pretzels or peanuts for dried squid.
Very popular in many Asian countries.

ps> tripe - yuk

Reactions: Gonefishings
201 - 219 of 219 Posts