360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

181 - 200 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
For YFT and most poundage, CDB is correct. However, for BFT, I prefer jigging with a heavy Williamson speed jig, a uv flashlight, at 50' to 150', find the sweet spot depth... Maybe have to change out the lure color/size. So maybe CDB is correct all around 'cause my technique is not really one choice and chance. Regardless, I've caught 25+ BFT on one trip (and occasional YFT on most trips) using the above technique, and let others reel lots in, and give most away. But that's geriatric thrills. (Usually go out 10 times a year, haven't been out for a year, just got 2nd vax, currently signed up for 8 trips... we old guys are more horny for tuna than...)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Tried it to. Did not get any more bites than anyone else and the paint does flake off after a few casts...
For jigs I use glow but I don't charge them. I was fishing next to someone that was charging his on every drop and I got bit 2 to 1 compared to him. Everyone has their own style. It's just trail and error what works for you.

PS every trip I've been on I've caught a YFT on a jig. The largest was 60# gutted. And of course the big eye in my pic was also on a jig the same trip of 60# YF

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have hooked BFT every time I've dropped jigs on a trip. Diamond, flutter, speed, glow, silver, blue... nothing has seemed to make a real difference to the BFT. If it was made of metal and in the water they ate it. Every time I've hooked a YFT on a jig it has been a speed jig with at least some glow to it.

I will say on my last trip I was getting some BFT here and some there until I changed out the jig for an all glow color speed jig. Once I did that I was getting nailed on every drop. Got tired of hauling in BFT and went back to throwing the halco for a break. Didn't work out all that well for getting rested as the BFT were hitting the halco almost as hard.

·
1,695 Posts
Wide open bites, I think you could throw a beer can overboard and get bit! It’s when the bite is slow that it becomes a challenge. I have seen glow hammered diamond catch double limits when everything else was slow. Start with your favorite jig and if your catching, keep catching, if not see who is and copy whatever they are using. I normally start jigging with a glow speed jig (Williamson Bethos) but plan on using those glow jigs first on my next trip

·
320 Posts
Diamond,hammer,glow,flutter,speed,silver,blue,PBJ,beer can... Speed jigging is 'old school' and too much work.

Who is rhythm connoisseur and 'Slow Pitch Jigging' these tunas... what setup are you using?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Most of my speed jig tuna have come with me working it like a flutter jig. Rhythmic lift, drop back, reel a few cranks, and lift again. I know I'm not using it as intended but I catch fish. My YFT have come when working it as an actual speed jig and AJ won't consider it unless I'm working it for all it's worth. I can't weigh in on SPJ as I've never tried it.

·
1,695 Posts
Inhs
Diamond,hammer,glow,flutter,speed,silver,blue,PBJ,beer can... Speed jigging is 'old school' and too much work.

Who is rhythm connoisseur and 'Slow Pitch Jigging' these tunas... what setup are you using?
I have seen guys use the jigging motion of electric reels and catch fish and my buddy just lifts his up and down slowly... I also catch plenty on the drop so there are many options beyond cranking your arm off...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Livebate: a 20 to 50 lbs humboldt squid is the tops for me, with a live flyer number two, and a dead flyer rigged number three, and a green mackerel number four, and a fat sardine number 5.

Jigs: PL68 glow in the dark cranked as fast as you can crank it is number 1, 200 gram Tady flutter, glow in the dark is number 2, and a gold hammered hopkins speed and flutter...

D-C

·
320 Posts
Most of my speed jig tuna have come with me working it like a flutter jig. Rhythmic lift, drop back, reel a few cranks, and lift again...
Inhs

I have seen guys use the jigging motion of electric reels and catch fish and my buddy just lifts his up and down slowly...
Thank you gents! I work on my yo-yo technique... save SPJ for the Tugas

:)

·
320 Posts
Livebate: a 20 to 50 lbs humboldt squid is the tops for me,...

Jigs: number 1) PL68 glow in the dark cranked as fast as you can crank it is ,...
number 2) 200 gram Tady flutter, glow in the dark is , and a gold hammered hopkins speed and flutter...

D-C
I'd pay too see any of those work in the GOM...

o_O

Reactions: bnz

·
Registered
121 Posts
Livebate: a 20 to 50 lbs humboldt squid is the tops for me, with a live flyer number two, and a dead flyer rigged number three, and a green mackerel number four, and a fat sardine number 5.

Jigs: PL68 glow in the dark cranked as fast as you can crank it is number 1, 200 gram Tady flutter, glow in the dark is number 2, and a gold hammered hopkins speed and flutter...

D-C
I'm trying to wrap my head around convincing a 20 to 50 lbs live Humboldt to let me sink a hook in it so I can throw it overboard! ;-)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Humboldts are a trip to catch, slabs, chunks, fresh dead or live they are killer. Ya gotta have a raincoat on when catching them and the showers afterword are mandatory. If your good at getting them over the rail you can make them squirt ink bigtime. nothing quite like a squid ink fight with 25 guys.... On a 14 day trip off the ridge on the pacific side of Baja, we found a massive school of humboldts at night. out came the raincoats and plastic trash bags... this was an inkfest and we got out of hand soaking each other... We saved about 100 of em live and chunked the rest. The following morning I dropped about a 20 lber down, it bolted to the bottom and only maid it about 20 fathoms in less than a minute when that was sucked up. when the dust cleared a few hours later there were 22 YFT over 200 lbs in the RSW. It was amazing, not one of the humboldts made it past 40 fathoms without getting demolished...

After all the live humboldts were gone we chunked the squid and banged away at 40 to 100 lbs all day... biting right at the boat... amazing trip. The most wide open bite i have ever experienced, eating chunks as soon as we tossed them in. It was so violent at one point we used jack poles and a feather and watched each other flail away at trying to get 40 to 100 lbers jack poled over the rail. One guy put a barbie doll on a jackpole hook and got whacked as soon as it hit the water

Humboldts are quite dangerous, the beak is the real deal and if they get ahold of your arm, only a knife will get them loose. I use an 11 aught mustad and hook them in the bait tank then hoist them out. Dont let them grab the rail, you will have to cut the tentacle off since they are that strong.

Probably not a GOM type bait, but i have never seen anything like that damned humbolt for instant hook ups of such a violent nature... Not one humboldt got down to 900 feet deep where they stay during the day... They run straight down fast too... and then, hold your breath, its coming.... Wham... 130 lb spectra singing away

https://na01.safelinks.protection.o...mUbUpfA59NJZxC9iTnh/WZ05r01pA9b/E=&reserved=0

D-C

·
Registered
151 Posts
And yes, Red, many have told me the PL68 and the 200 gram Tady flutter wont work in GOM... I have to bring them this fall and at least try them. The PL68 glow in the dark has been berry berry good to me... When the big ones are holding in 20 to 40 fathoms, the PL68 gets past the 40 lb'ers to whats holding deep.. Ya works great in Pacific... Ill know if the work in GOM soon...

D-C

181 - 200 of 219 Posts