Best Tactic for YFT on GPB?

Discussion in 'Charter Boat & Party Boat' started by Mpro2, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Mpro2

Mpro2 Well-Known Member

Okay, so I'm just curious about the tactics used, and the percentage rate of them? What I'm talking about is jigging, popping, chunking, flyers and Halcos. If you only had one choice and chance, which would it be?

TheProfessional likes this.
  2. lawrencelee91

lawrencelee91 Junior member

I'm always casting off the bow, really depends on what they want. Some nights they want to chase(a heru skipjack) skipped across the surface with a high rod tip. Other nights they'll want a pop and wait. I have a bucket of lures with me and I swap out every 20-30 min depending on interest.
    I'll usually start off with a halco 190, heavier than the 130, casts further and is louder. Also depends on surface activity for any given night.

After getting tired of casting or a lack of bites, I'll move to chunking. I rarely jig but always bring setups just in case that's what they want.

phuongph, GreenBroker, awesum and 3 others like this.

3. Capt.matt

Capt.matt Fishing Guru

It depends on the night. Jigging is almost always the least effective way to target YFT. I’d say it’s a toss up between casting and chunking and a live flyer will give you the best shot as long as the Barracudas aren’t bad.

4. Gonefishings

Gonefishings Member

Love ya square bucket with mods to hold those lure you should post a pic..

fillet2release likes this.
  5. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

If you wanna be successful, you can't rely on just one option.
    that said, I'm a caster.
    The key is letting the bite determine your tactics. period.
    sometimes they want to feed on the surface, sometimes deep.
    sometimes large food items (flyers), sometimes small (sardines, chovies,etc). chunking is a high percentage technique when done correctly and the tunas are being actively chummed.
    the answer you're looking for is PAY ATTENTION TO THE BITE and everything else will fall into place. usually....:D

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  6. lawrencelee91

lawrencelee91 Junior member

I'll post one up when I get all of my stuff unpacked for trips this winter

7. Mpro2

Mpro2 Well-Known Member

Love this!☝️ Haha!

TheProfessional likes this.
  8. Capt.matt

Capt.matt Fishing Guru

I’m sorry but I don’t really agree with any of that.

9. Capt.matt

Capt.matt Fishing Guru

I have seen it too may times where the YFT want a tiny chunk. If they are keyed on small baits they will not touch a live flyer or hardtail.
    I don’t feel like you can group all the lures into the same category as they can be fished completely different.
    I’d say it’s a pretty even split on topwaters and chunks if you looked at the yearly catches. Some nights the Yummee’s/Frenzy’s really shine but I’d probably have to say we catch the most yellowfin on Halcos over anything else. Poppers have their moments as well.
    I see the least amount of yellows caught on jigs but they have times where they produce also, mainly if the topwater bite is dead but we are marking fish deep and if there are any BigEye around.
    Live bait is great but can be difficult and time consuming to get and if the Barracudas are there then it’s almost a waste of time.
    It is also pretty common to see the bite change throughout the night, mainly around moon rise or moon set. It is a good idea to be ready to change tactics according to how the fish are acting.

Illy, phuongph, Starrfish and 7 others like this.
  10. lite-liner

Being attentive and prepared is the winning strategy. every time.
    "Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity"
    -Bobby Knight

11. Gorge

Gorge Junior member

TP sounds (and posts) an awful lot like Jersey Jack

lite-liner likes this.
  12. Capt.matt

Capt.matt Fishing Guru

TP the answer is Halco 130 if I had to choose one.

13. mactuna78

mactuna78 Well-Known Member

i say its a gamble no matter what way u fish . i personally been on trips where they had 52 yellows landed and i caught nada same lure , same bait, same jig, same chunk but thats fishing and then some times u catch limit or just one . personally im happy just throwing anything in the water and getting out with matt and the decks hands . i say halco 130 is my fav. then tossing a popper to a flyer , but i did catch my first yft on a small chunk also have landed some on fancy jigs to diamond jigs but personally i love it all and cant wait to go again

14. redgarvey

redgarvey Member

TheProfessional has many years of experience and willing to share his wealth of knowledge and techniques.

He and JerseyJack espresso drinking paesanos from the good ol' days of SheepsHead Bay head boat bull$hit-ing.

lite-liner likes this.
  15. TomH

TomH Member

Sorry, not a very active member here, but an avid reader. I have to ask, are TheProfessional, JerseyJack, and HungryJack all the same people? I know this has nothing to do with the topic but I'm dying to know.

esgeo and lite-liner like this.
  16. lite-liner

Usually those who throw the bait flag are those who have generationally been trained/pre-disposed to think that only bait will catch consistently. it's actually easy to determine where posters are coming from just from their positions on using bait.
    these places would be southern/central Ca., Florida, and most parts of the Northeast.
    here in the GOM, catching bait is easy, maintaining it to run 100-175 miles offshore for days on end in 90+ degree ambient temps and typical 3's @ 5 sec. makes fishing and keeping bait alive a huge pain in the ass, IMO.
    Nothing wrong with fishing bait.
    360tuna has never been geared towards that. All fishing reports are welcomed, but the focus is fooling big fish with artificial lures.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  17. day0ne

day0ne Senior Member

TP,
    I would listen to Capt Matt as he is the captain of the New Buccaneer, which is the boat in question. This is the Gulf of Mexico, not the north east. BTW, I have noticed that what he says is correct when I have fished the boat.

phuongph, Paul Choi, esgeo and 2 others like this.
  18. redgarvey

redgarvey Member

TheProfessional and HungryJack (Gorge named em' JerseyJack I'm reading)
    old school anglers from the days of yore on the Noreast.com forum
    some great reads from those guys

Canyonfvr probably last active member on that site. Like the ol' man of the lighthouse.
    Back to your regular scheduled programming...

lite-liner likes this.
  19. ED SUSTALA

ED SUSTALA Member

For YFT on GPB, Capt. Matt and deckhands will tell you more are caught on Chunk than all others combined. I listen to them. See you on this boat on Sept 24 next month

Attached Files:

20. TomH

TomH Member

I'm on that boat too! This trip has been over a year in the making so I'm really looking forward to it. I have plenty of fish vac packed in my freezer but none of it is tuna!

fillet2release likes this.