Best "Swimming" bait for Bluefin

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by John_Madison CT, Jun 21, 2009.

1. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

Might take a crack at some of the medium sized Bluefin up at Cape Cod, MA.

Wondering what are some of the more popular swimming baits?

I'd sure like something with some weight to get it out there a ways.

Thanks,

John

2. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Shibuki or a tricked out one;souls brabus

d-a

3. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

shibuki's are good but expensive, I wouldnt leave home without hogy's or sluggos either

4. d-a

d-a Senior Member

shibuki's are good but expensive

Peter

So are stella's

d-a

5. rtran

rtran Senior Member

there are better choices than shibuki

6. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

there are better choices than shibuki
    Dont leave us hanging....

7. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

doug, but stella is that much better than the alternatives, mechanically, and cosmetically..shibuki's can be lost relatively easy. you buy a stella and expecdt it to last a while. You can lose a few shibukis a day at 50 bucks and it'll add up. Wind knot, you can lose one, hook up to a fish you can lose one. I'd rather use something cheaper that works just as well if not better.

8. rtran

rtran Senior Member

hogys and sluggos work.

9. d-a

d-a Senior Member

doug, but stella is that much better than the alternatives, mechanically, and cosmetically..shibuki's can be lost relatively easy. you buy a stella and expecdt it to last a while. You can lose a few shibukis a day at 50 bucks and it'll add up. Wind knot, you can lose one, hook up to a fish you can lose one. I'd rather use something cheaper that works just as well if not better.

Peter

I still have my first shibuki, but i did cringe the day I lost 3 fishing, hell i even lost one in my backyard casting. Of the overall expense to fish, a 50 dollar lure still seems cheap.

d-a

10. Smitty 20

Smitty 20 Junior member

braid maurader. 10 oz. a great deep bait. fish it close to the transom under a spreader bar

11. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

On any given day, some lure may be the hero but I've gotta agree with
    Doug as far as day in, day out, Tackle House has a winner with the Shibuki. I've been looking for a cost effective replacement like everyone else and really interested in fishing OTI's new bait. OTI baits have been excellent and priced really well. It's cool they're coming out with the new swimmer/stick.

Fred

12. d-a

d-a Senior Member

braid maurader. 10 oz. a great deep bait. fish it close to the transom under a spreader bar

I think he is looking for a casting lure

d-a

13. rtran

rtran Senior Member

shibuki is proven for yft.
    is it proven for bft? it seems bft are a little more finicky and picky. last year i remember the only thing they ate were small smith metal forecast jigs.
    i threw shibuki all day sat to no luck along with smith runboh, tailwalks, rapala and Al threw everything APS carries! then george(guy who caught 68.5" tuna on doms boat) happens to land one on shibuki. first bft on shibuki this season.
    was it luck, wrong lure size for the pods i was throwing to, or not my time? who knows.

sluggos and hogys are proven bft killer here.
    but there are many other lures they have taken so far

14. deadsea

deadsea Member

Here’s what I like:
    Smith Baby Runboh,
    Souls Brabus,
    Tackle House Shibuki,
    Daiwa Saltiga Dorado Slider,
    Tailwalk Gunz,
    Shimano Ocea Pencil…

15. rtran

rtran Senior Member

i would throw the ocea pencil before the shibuki for bft

16. d-a

d-a Senior Member

shibuki is proven for yft.
    is it proven for bft? it seems bft are a little more finicky and picky. last year i remember the only thing they ate were small smith metal forecast jigs.
    i threw shibuki all day sat to no luck along with smith runboh, tailwalks, rapala and Al threw everything APS carries! then george(guy who caught 68.5" tuna on doms boat) happens to land one on shibuki. first bft on shibuki this season.
    was it luck, wrong lure size for the pods i was throwing to, or not my time? who knows.

Its also proven for BF, look at the reports from last year. I can remember APS selling out of the Brabus when Sami caught a BF on one last summer. I guess the yozuri's wasnt proven for BF either but I know of 2 that was caught with in a week that was on them.

Just because you didnt catch a BF on a lure doesnt mean they dont work, it just means you didnt catch a fish on the lure that day.

d-a

17. deadsea

deadsea Member

i would throw the ocea pencil before the shibuki for bft

My first choice would be a Saltiga Slider

18. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Its also proven for BF, look at the reports from last year. I can remember APS selling out of the Brabus when Sami caught a BF on one last summer. I guess the yozuri's wasnt proven for BF either but I know of 2 that was caught with in a week that was on them.

thats why i was asking because i couldnt recall

Just because you didnt catch a BF on a lure doesnt mean they dont work, it just means you didnt catch a fish on the lure that day.

d-a

i didnt say it didnt work did i? :cool:

19. rtran

rtran Senior Member

anything and everything will work on a given day. you never know what they will hit as fred said. shibuki is proven i admit and probably could be classed as the best. i have them in my box.

20. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Al caught his big girl on a shibuki last year plus here is the pic i was talking about.

[​IMG]

d-a