Best Surf Rod

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by Kenzta, May 16, 2020.

1. Kenzta

Kenzta Active Member

I'm looking for a recommendation for the best surf rod for lure between 3-6 oz.

2. SeaZen 21

SeaZen 21 New Member

I'd say there's no such thing. That being said, it's kinda difficult to make recommendations without knowing your intended location, target species, and application (ie, bait and wait vs plugging vs jigging, etc)

3. iyaman

iyaman Senior Member

You will probably get a better answer at stripersonline. I use a ron arra for surf ( can't remember the model) but my max lure is 2.5 oz.

Viet_Swag likes this.
  4. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

too many variables.
    can you be more precise as to what, how, where you will be fishing?

5. Kenzta

Kenzta Active Member

I'm targetting Striper in the Cape Cod Canal. So I need something that has the backbone to pull some big fish.

6. Viet_Swag

Viet_Swag Well-Known Member

The most used at the ccc by far is tfo gis with gosa sw 8000. The rods run the gamut from century and lamiglas to blackhole and odm.

7. Viet_Swag

Stripersonline would definitely be a better resource. I use the okuma cedros csx surf 2-5 oz. I think it could plug and do light duty jigging. The rod maxed out at 2 oz with an overhead thump cast. It can work a pencil well and has good power. It has brand names guides if that means anything and has a lifetime warranty.

Attached Files:

iyaman likes this.
  8. Viet_Swag

I have not fish at Cape Cod before.

9. lite-liner

I have fished the canal but only caught myself (LOL, Shut up REELME!!!).
    I recently purchased the Black Hole Striper Surf 96.
    It is excellent throwing 2-4oz spoons and other lures off the jetties for Bull Reds.
    I think the butt section is too long at 19+", But Kil said that's what the Montauk and other NE
    guys like. other than that its a really nice rod.

10. SeaZen 21

SeaZen 21 New Member

Do a search on stripersonline for cape cod canal setup or rod. You'll get more info than you care for to make a decision. I've only fished it once, so I'm certainly no authority. But from what I understand, there are different techniques used there for which different rods excel. For example, if jigging the bottom, the ODM Jigster is designed specifically for that. Lamis are very well regarded. TFO, Shimano Tiralejo, Black Hole will also serve you well.
    Good luck

11. Kenzta

Kenzta Active Member

Thank you guys for the suggestion. I checked out the TFO and they have lifetime warranty so I may go with that.

12. Viet_Swag

When I walked on the canal, it’s obvious that the TFO were the most common due to their price point and warranty. However, I think the shops around their get the TFOs back for warranty b/c they are often broken a lot.

13. Viet_Swag

How would you say it throws 1oz or is it too light to load the blank?

14. lite-liner

never tried, as I have a st croix that handles 3/4-2oz lures.
    but, like you say I think that's too light for the rod.