Best size Accurate reel

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Augs, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Augs

Augs Member

looking for a castable medium sized accurate reel to handle casting for blacks, and dropping for yellows and big AJs in 200 - 400+ gulf waters. Any opinions on sizes? 870, 270, 665? Just a good all around get your moneys worth reel. I have amigos with the big guns, so no need for the swordfish tackler...
    Appreciate the input, and Thanks for any suggestions.

btw, just accurate opinions, I love my Avet too. Haha
    Thanks Compadres!

2. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

I would go with 665, it have enough line capacity to handle bigger yft and drag for AJ. JMO

3. red34

red34 Guest

looking for a castable medium sized accurate reel to handle casting for blacks, and dropping for yellows and big AJs in 200 - 400+ gulf waters. Any opinions on sizes? 870, 270, 665? Just a good all around get your moneys worth reel. I have amigos with the big guns, so no need for the swordfish tackler...
    Appreciate the input, and Thanks for any suggestions.

btw, just accurate opinions, I love my Avet too. Haha
    Thanks Compadres!

Allright man...if you're buying a friggin' Accurate then YOU ARE going to Florida this summer!!! We're gonna take these new combos on a charter in Destin and show the tourists and snowbirds how we do it.

Sell some art bro! You should put some pics of your paintings up in the 360 Lounge.

Sorry...back to the Accurates.

4. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

i agree with minnow but the only difference i would probably buy either the 870 2 speed or 665 2 speed as i like the extra winching power of the lower gear for cranking up yellowfins when they are in their death spiral. the faster you get those tuna in the better they eat.....rick

5. Ricochet001

Ricochet001 Junior member

I have the 870 and the 665XN. I think the 870 is a bit too small but the 665 is perfect. I have taken BFT up to 200 pounds with it without issue. I just bought a B2-30 and it is a little heavy for jigging all day but it is an awesome reel.

6. stresst

stresst Senior Member

Go with a 665 N 2 speed or even a 870 2 speed. My buddy fishes lite gear and uses a 270 single speed for AJ, he has landed a ton of fish up to 70lb so far. The 870 has even bigger drags. It all depends on how much line capacity you need.