Best Reel help?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by OmanHooker, Jun 17, 2008.

1. OmanHooker

OmanHooker Guest

Hi everyone, greetings from Muscat in Oman.:)

I have a superseeker 15-30# 6'-6" rod and would like some help choosing a decent saltwater spinning reel to match it.( plan on spooling 25# braid and 15# topshot)

It would be used for bottom fishing, jigging and casting poppers etc.

Can someone please recommend a good fit?

Cheers
    Vic

2. papio

papio Senior Member

6000 - 8000 series Shimano Stradic, Spheros, Sustain, Saragosa, Stella, according to your budget. It's a start. I'm happy with all of them.

Good fishing!

3. OmanHooker

OmanHooker Guest

Thanks for the tip papio ..... will check em out and get the best i can afford.

4. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

The Cabo 60 and 80 are nice reels for $200.

5. Angler Systems

Angler Systems Senior Member

Agree, Cabo over most similar priced Shimano or Penn reels.

6. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

I think there were some bad experiences with the older FH series Stradic. But the new FI series is very impressive! When I tried 8000FI Stradic vs. 8000FE Sustain I really couldn't believe Sustain cost 50% more. ($200 vs. $300!)

Sustain includes a couple more bearings and a titanium lipped spool. But the Stradic seems just as smooth and seems like a much better value for $100 less. It is light, very smooth and has a large, capable drag. It's a LOT of reel for $200, (or even less online) and that includes a spare aluminum spool. I think it would be a great choice for your application and would serve you well with 30-60lb braid if you ever wanted to spool up the spare and get a heavier rod!

I have an 18000F Saragosa and it's a very nice reel... But I didn't like the 8000 Saragosa as much as the Stradic or Sustain. Granted, this wasn't after dozens of torture tests, or even out on the water. This is just from the look and feel and a cursory inspection... The 'gosa seems like a nice, dressed-up older reel while Stradic, Sustain, and Stella all look and feel like cutting edge, new designs.

There might not be anything to this when it comes to actual functionality, but I think if you could try both reels you might see and feel what I mean.

Jason