Best Places For Big Tuna???

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by rtran, Feb 4, 2009.

1. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Where are the best destinations to fish for tunas 150-300lb?

2. Ricky-Ray

Ricky-Ray Member

San Benedicto, Socorro and Clarion Islands, Hurricane Bank (Shamada Seamount), all good choices for Cow's

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Hurricane Bank. I am going in late Nov.

4. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

morehead city north carolina....rick

5. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Question could be place and time of year and maybe which Tuna,

I would like to know more also.

Kev

6. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

morehead city north carolina....rick
    Rick, when you fished with TJ for giant in Morehead City, that was the last year of great giant run in Morehead City.
    Dennis Braid fished 6 days for filming this year and the only bluefin they got was 72 incher on the last day for six day fishing.

7. rtran

rtran Senior Member

San Benedicto, Socorro and Clarion Islands, Hurricane Bank (Shamada Seamount), all good choices for Cow's

Care to elaborate one these locations and what kind of operations do they run over there? Thanks

8. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

rich those are long range spots. check some of the LR boats out of san diego. 10-18 day trips generally. I think in 2005 they got cows on trpis as short as 5 days, but that was rare.

also the CC and cape may bluefin runs were great this year though it didn't seem like you could consistently get bluefin from 150-300. 100-150 was more of the norm with some bigger fish mixed in.

9. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Cape May is a place I'm fishing this season for sure. Just wondering if there were any other places.

South Africa is on my list also. Maybe fish with Miles.

10. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

my neighbor has a boat and wants to go to the claw and a few other places if the bluefin show up again. im hoping to get to cape may 1-3 times and cape cod once or twice this year. ill let you know if we set something up for cape may. where i lived is about 2-2.5 hours from cape may.

11. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Okay sounds good, keep me updated. Would like to get a big bluefin under my belt on popper/jig this year.

12. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

if its like last year then cape may would be more jig, cape cod would be a better chance at one on a popper. that being said, the one i got in CC was on a jig :)

13. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I'm game for either. I also plan to do some trips organised by APS.

Panama is know to have big tunas around March/April?

I've got a trip to PV in prime season to try to get a cow.

14. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Care to elaborate one these locations and what kind of operations do they run over there? Thanks

'Lying 220 miles south-west of Cabo San Lucas is San Benidicto Island, which is the start of the Revilla Gigedo Island group. This group includes Socorro, Clarion, San Benidicto, and Roca Partida. On Socorro and Clarion the Mexican Navy maintains weathers stations. Socorro is 10 miles in diameter and has a peak elevation of 3,700 feet. Clarion is 5 miles by 2 miles, has a 1,000 foot peak elevation, and is the furthest offshore at nearly 400 miles from Cabo San Lucas. These two islands are the oldest of the group and are covered with dense vegetation while San Benidicto, an active volcano, is the youngest and still quite barren. This area off Baja is quite virgin noted by the volcano eruption on Socorro Island in early 1993 causing the island to be evacuated. Hurricane Bank, also known as the Shamada Seamount, is almost 200 miles from Clarion and 600 miles from Cabo San Lucas. Roca Partida is the Alijos Rocks of these semi-tropic waters, a 110 foot high lonesome twin peak rock out in the middle of nowhere with only the fish and sea-birds keeping it company between our visits there.'

[​IMG]

15. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

kil give me a call if youre still up. i tried to call your office but you went home :)

16. txcards

txcards Senior Member

I'm game for either. I also plan to do some trips organised by APS.

Panama is know to have big tunas around March/April?

I've got a trip to PV in prime season to try to get a cow.

Rich, when is your trip to PV? I'm going Aug 21-30

17. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

kil give me a call if youre still up. i tried to call your office but you went home :)
    I am still here.

18. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Thanks for the details Kil.

Greg, I am set for Sept 1-5 - coincidently the same time Adrian (age) caught his cow. =D

19. Ricky-Ray

Ricky-Ray Member

Many of the long range boat's based out of San Diego run trips from 10-21 days, If you looking to target primarily large tuna 150 pounds + then the time frame is usually Oct - Jan/Feb.

Check out the Red Rooster III's website, I think this page will give you a little more idea on where it fishes and the map it has on it's page will give you a rough idea where those locations are. Fishing Grounds

I have done several 3 day trips on this boat and I highly recommend going on there. The crew is top notch and the boat is an awesome fishing platform.

20. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Thanks for the info. Ricky-Ray