Best mid-priced spinning reel

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by hamptonsurf, Aug 9, 2009.

1. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

I have used many different makes/models of reel, and have still never really found one that stands out among the rest. If someone were to buy a spinning reel in the 250-500 range with the intent to chase northeast bluefin tuna, what would the best option be? Saragosa? Saltiga? Spinfisher?

2. gman

gman Senior Member

ebay for a used stella in that range. You should be able to find a FA used for $500 if not the saragosa has been ok as far as dependability

3. hamptonsurf

The last model Stella was a sick reel as well? Is the new model 450 dollars better?

4. gman

gman Senior Member

The last model Stella was a sick reel as well? Is the new model 450 dollars better?

Its better but not $450 dollars better IMHO the FA series was bullet proof as well

5. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Yes it is, fish it and you will see. :D

If budget is a concern, Glenn made a great suggestion to hunt for a used Stella FA on ebay or get yourself a Saragosa. Seems like the big Saragosas have been holding up to those huge BFT fishing up north as reported by Kil and others, so they will definitely be up to the job. Get a new drag cap from Shimano as there were previous reports of drag cap problems on the 14000/18000 sized Saragosas. Saltiga Z Spinning reels are also up to the task if you find a well priced one. Good luck on your search!

6. north coast

north coast Senior Member

I know some folks don't like them, But I love my Fin-nors I have the OFS95 and the 65.Other than the fact that it is a little heavy,I've taken a bunch of bluefin(not this years fish, yet. busy with bass right now)with the 95 and I can't find a thing wrong with it. I've also commercial bass fished with the 65 for 2 seasons now. That reel takes a real beating regularly and has performed flawlessly.I'm surprised These reels are not way more popular.Ebay for under a buck fifty.I don't think another reel, at that price, can touch them.

7. hamptonsurf

Anyone got a prior model stella they want to unload? There has to be a site somewhere closing the old models out.

8. hamptonsurf

thanks for the heads up

9. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

I have used many different makes/models of reel, and have still never really found one that stands out among the rest. If someone were to buy a spinning reel in the 250-500 range with the intent to chase northeast bluefin tuna, what would the best option be? Saragosa? Saltiga? Spinfisher?

Hampton,

I would not classify the Saltiga Z series in the "mid-range". That reel would be one of the elite reels with the Stella's. You can easliy find a Saltiga Z for $500.

10. d-a

d-a Senior Member

used or new?

Used

d-a

11. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

ebay for a used stella in that range. You should be able to find a FA used for $500 if not the saragosa has been ok as far as dependability
    I totally agree with Glenn.
    Saragosa is my minimum standard and the reel proved it can handle big tuna, but it is not Stella. If you can get Stella FA model for $450 - 500, get it. You'll not regret.

12. hamptonsurf

well, consider me looking for one if anyone hears of it.

13. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

I totally agree with Glenn.
    Saragosa is my minimum standard and the reel proved it can handle big tuna, but it is not Stella. If you can get Stella FA model for $450 - 500, get it. You'll not regret.

its all about patience. i got 3 FAs this way. 2 of which were brand new - all 3 were under $500 :)

14. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but is the Stella FA a better reel than the Saltiga Z series? I have never owned a Stella FA. I imagine at one time this was a highly debated topic.

15. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

I imagine at one time this was a highly debated topic.
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Yes it has been highly debated in my own mind with no clear out come
    So I have some of both..................:(

I am still sure a 65 Rambler American is a better car than a 65 VW Bug
    because the front seats folded all the way back... It just depends on what you are looking for.:D

Kev

16. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Hamptonsurf,
    If you do want a Saragosa, I have an 18000 with the new drag cap and carbontex drag upgrade. If you are interested send me a PM.

17. hamptonsurf

I have one saragosa, which I like....not sure what way to go. I'd love to add just one stella. I think I'd be good to go on that and can play with trolling gear instead. I will certainly keep that in mind though, thanks.

18. fish on

fish on Member

I wonder how good the saragosa really is as i too am thinking about getting a 14000 or an 18000 for throwing plugs to tuna also for live baiting to big kings and wahoo,and with this type of fishing will it hold up. I have a 8000 saragosa which i planned on putting 30lb braid on for live baiting to mackerel and tarpon.I like shimano because they are smooth on the retrieve and they will get the job done but do you think they will outlast and outperform my fin-nors

19. fish on

fish on Member

Gman and kilsong you guys seem to catch more and bigger fish than i will ever ,so my question is directed to you guys.I dont have the money for a stella right now and i dont think i would want one as i live in the tropics and there are no service centers for these reels anywhere.there is also the factor that i might hook a mrlin live baiting as the fish seem to lurk in our waters at the height of the tuna seaon in october.ps i work for a local tackle retailer and can get the saragosa at a really good price