best knot for mono to floro??

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Tunahunter, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Tunahunter

Tunahunter Guest

going to join 100lb mono to 60 or 80 floro for chunking. What is your opinion on the best knot. thanks

2. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

I tie a FG knot
    Others tie a PR knot

for chunking you can probably tie a more bukly knot, but i cant recommend one to you.

3. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Connections and knots

I don't like a lot of hardware on my line especilaly when chunking and use conventional reel.

But when working with 100lb mono or above, a Bimini can get rather fat and bulky. But for knot to knot I would still try Bimini\Catspaw\Basil Floro windon leader.

Or

Mono to Swivel to Floro. knots would be Uni or Thumb knot.
    The swivel would be Spro wind on . See photo.

Kev.

Attached Files:

4. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

For Chunking I use a 150lb Sampo Ball Bearing swivel and the mono and fluoro connections to it are both Palomars. My leaders are usually 7' long.

5. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Spider hitch your main line and an albright with a 3 turn uni lock.

6. jig

jig Senior Member

I would think something like an albright, which is what I would use to tie 60-80# line to a 100# leader. But why are you fishing 100# mono with a 60# leader? Isn't that a little backwards? If its for stealth, I think 100# tackle is likely to defeat the purpose.

7. jig

jig Senior Member

Agree, but wouldn't to drop down on your gear too? Fishing 60# leader with a 100# rod/reel (for mono, I am thinking this is 50W, broomstick rod territory) is too great a mismatch.

8. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Agree, but wouldn't to drop down on your gear too? Fishing 60# leader with a 100# rod/reel (for mono, I am thinking this is 50W, broomstick rod territory) is too great a mismatch.
    Jig,
    Shock leader.:eek:
    Often applied when using Braided lines,
    For example Avet exw 4\2 with 80lb JB line one solid \Page Ranking knot
    to 25yds 100 lb Andes mono (for shock leader) wind on swivel to 10 ft 60 lb Seagar to small Owner hook and nice big Black fin Chunk = Fat YFT.

Just Saying :)

K2

Attached Files:

9. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

Adam I would just use a spro swivel and tie your flouro to it with a palomar or uni. If you go without a swivel and tie direct from main to leader you may have issues with the line getting twisted. Especially if you reel in a chunk from 200yards out thats spinning all the way up.