Best knot for fluoro to mono

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by thenewkid, Feb 23, 2008.

1. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

tying 80lb momoi hi catch to 80lb seagur fluoro and im looking for a good knot thats small enough to pass through the guides real smooth like, and retain most of the breaking strenth of the line.

2. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

Knots for joining two lines of similar diameter Knots index

i've been wondering if it's feasable to use hollow core spectre to 'chinese handcuff' the two together........ any thots?..... anybody?....... or y'all consider that as having something too highly visible in the water

seems like it'd be okay if you're using a long enough piece o'flouro (if in fact handcuffing is practical at all)

3. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I made a much of flouro windons before our last trip. I fished them and they seemed to work great. Problem is on a head boat lines tend to get cut to save time on tangles...
    I don't know if the diameter of the Momoi is big enough to make the finger cuff work with a hollow core that is compatable with 80# mono.

4. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

thanx......... i prolly shouldna even posted that thot here

it stemmed from something i spoke with Basil about a while back and my shared hate of knots not going thru the guides smoothly

i wanted to do away with the long doubled line i use on my trolling rigs and when he told me how low of a test hollow spectre i'd have to use for the finger cuff on my 60 and 80# mono i nixed that idea.......... but i just thot that a length of 100 or 120# hollow might be just the trick for a smooth connection to finger cuff 80# mono to 80# fluoro

buthchure right........ not very practical for headboatin' considering what all's involved in making that connection

5. HUNTER II

HUNTER II Guest

try the no-name knot - put a false loop in the running line - enter the loop with the leader & wrap the leader around the false loop 8 - 10 times - take leader tag end and exit the false loop the way you went in - moisten wraps and pull against the doubled false loop lines with the leader - let the leader tag end float - you should have a tightly wrapped knot which is very slim and very strong - I take the false loop tag end and leader tag end and tie them of using a double half hitch. Try it you'll love it!

6. bunile

bunile Senior Member

Is that similar to the yucatan knot, which I think is very similar to an albright knot. .basically tag end into a loop, wrap back (5 or 15 times) some wind back the other way and some just go right back through the loop, some the same directuion as it went in and some it don't matter. They all worm up and wrap the main line, I like the least bulky myself, and the one's that dont cross cut into it's self would be the best. I am getting about 6 versions of practicaLLY THE SAME THING. i GET A bimini TWISRT really easy, now the albright seems difficult and I'm looking for a slimmer type of connection. I really have'n closely examined the no-name knot and I wiil find a good diagram of it, but I woukldn't be surprised if it has a name after all.

7. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

If I have to connect heavy mono leader line to heavy fluoro carbon leader line, I'd rather use barrel swivel with short 4 - 6 ft fluoro carbon leader line as any knot to connect heavy mono and fluoro must have a high profile no matter what kind of knot you use and the use of swivel is much stronger.

8. jureal

jureal Senior Member

If you are using just a short fluoro leader, then use the seaguar knot which is really just like a surgeons knot.

9. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

Is that similar to the yucatan knot, which I think is very similar to an albright knot. .basically tag end into a loop, wrap back (5 or 15 times) some wind back the other way and some just go right back through the loop, some the same directuion as it went in and some it don't matter. They all worm up and wrap the main line, I like the least bulky myself, and the one's that dont cross cut into it's self would be the best. I am getting about 6 versions of practicaLLY THE SAME THING. i GET A bimini TWISRT really easy, now the albright seems difficult and I'm looking for a slimmer type of connection. I really have'n closely examined the no-name knot and I wiil find a good diagram of it, but I woukldn't be surprised if it has a name after all.

that's the Alberto Knot
    Alberto's Knot - Fishing Knot Article

http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f3/alberto-knot-1885/

10. awesum

awesum Senior Member

For the past year I have been using the "slim beauty" knot and it has passed with flying colors. I use it for tying all tests of braid to mono .....or ....mono to fluorocarbon. It makes a small knot that I find passes through the guides well.

However, I have been practicing with the "Alberto" knot ever since the thread we had here and I like it a lot. It's small and easy to tie.;)

11. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

I have started using/testing the Alberto for a month now, & I like it!
    it really is easier to tie " under pressure" and tested nearly 100%
    on every pull, even the ones where I dindn't get it cinched down correctly.
    the by-far, coolest thing about this knot is it's lo profile when attaching
    like line wts to braid. goes thru both ways so easy I can't hear it or feel it
    hit the guides.
    whoever posted that link, thanks for a great knot!
    tight lines
    -Brian

12. HUNTER II

HUNTER II Guest

See Knots index it's a great location for knots - the Yucatan knot differs from the no-name because with a yucatan the doubled line from the bimini is wrapped around the single line loop. One of the advantages of the no-name knot is works perfectly well using a false loop and therefore you do not need to create a loop using a bimini. For an ultra shy connection with just one knot (rather than a bimini & Alberto/albright/whatever) the no-name stands tall. Another advantage of a single knot is that when laying on the spool there is only one knot to interfer with the line going off the spool.

13. bunile

bunile Senior Member

That's right, CRAZY ALBERTO, thanks !!!!!

14. vjanda

vjanda Junior member

What are your thoughts on the blood knot for joining 130lbs mono to similar diameter fluorocarbon? (depending on line both are 1-1.2mm diameter)

When I was fishing for bluefin in the Adriatic the skipper used this knot for this purpose.

When I tie it it always looks perfect but when I test it sometimes it just snaps clean where the coils are. Doesn't give me much confidence.

Are there any other knots for joining heavy mono that are easy to tie neatly but perform better?

I tried the The Alberto Knot (Modified Albright) but found it alsmost impossible with such heavy line :(