360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I had all my problems solved with the 450g OTI jumbo but on my last trip out even they were getting blown out while trying to get down to AJ water. It seems the Jumbos small profile and heavy weight works good at fighting the current but I wish they had one size larger.

What are some of the favorites for getting 300+ft verticle in heavy current?

·
2,924 Posts
Normally bottom weighted jigs will get you down pretty quick. Other than different jigs two tips ...

A. try pinching your line between your fingers on the drop it will help keep the jig vertical. The slight tension will make it go straight down in most cases

B. Also back the boat up to the jigs as well to stay vertical.

·
5,457 Posts
I thought I had all my problems solved with the 450g OTI jumbo but on my last trip out even they were getting blown out while trying to get down to AJ water. It seems the Jumbos small profile and heavy weight works good at fighting the current but I wish they had one size larger.

What are some of the favorites for getting 300+ft verticle in heavy current?

River to sea sea rock, you can get them up to 700g. Jig design and smaller diameter braid will help too.

d-a

·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
5,457 Posts

·
4,723 Posts
Thanks guys. Looks like the sea rock is a good looking jig for the price.

I also found these on ebay. You know you are getting some serious jigs when they have to add warnings like the last bullet point. :eek:

6 - 28 oz .750G BUTTERFLY STYLE JIG SET RIGGED W/BAG - eBay (item 370248419784 end time Aug-28-09 19:00:00 PDT)

"NOT TO BE USED AS AN ADULT TOY-MAY CONTAIN LEAD-BAD FOR KITTY"

lol.. bad for kitty :)

I'm with d-a on the searocks, I've used searocks before and they will get you down to your deep water hole real quick and stay pretty much vertical in strong currents. Give'em a try as they are very cheap!

·
110 Posts
"NOT TO BE USED AS AN ADULT TOY-MAY CONTAIN LEAD-BAD FOR KITTY"

HAHAHA...awesome. Wonder if this warning goes for Beaver as well?!?:p

·
1,140 Posts
580g inchiku with lumo skirt 2 x SJ41 9/0 owner .
top jig is 710g both got a great track record in NZ on monster kingfish and puka both TW LURES

·
5,457 Posts
The best jig for deep dropping is a little reverse backtrolling.

Can i get that in a stella 20000 size? LOL

d-a

·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The best jig for deep dropping is a little reverse backtrolling.

Primarily dropping on the up current side of a rig.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts