best jig for grouper

Discussion in 'Fish Species and Techniques' started by straycatboat, Apr 5, 2015.

1. straycatboat

straycatboat Member

I've tried lots of jigs from shimano butterflys to williamson , no hits. What is your recommendation on a great BF jig?
    Strayat

2. conchydong

conchydong Senior Member

If the Grouper are there, I found they will hit about anything as they are not picky but you cannot speed jig them. Just go to the bottom and bounce it a few times then slow jig about 20' up to draw attention and then back to the bottom again. That's what works for me, others may have different experiences.

Yankee Capts likes this.

3. redneck_billcollector

redneck_billcollector Senior Member

That is not always true, last spring when hunting AJs we were speed jigging and had to move four times because we couldn't keep the gags and red snapper off our jigs speed jigging for AJs....(season was closed)

I like the BlueBlue Searide V jigs for grouper and one of my favorite grouper jigs is the Hots Drift Tune in 80-200 g depending on the current and depth...in red and gold. These jigs fished slow styled will outfish live bait a lot of times, I have done it numerous times when everyone else is using bait.

4. carlosburitica

carlosburitica Senior Member

Williamsons benthos in pink

5. Level3

Level3 Half Asian Sensation

Blue Water Candy Roscoe

6. carlosburitica

carlosburitica Senior Member

Forgot the roscoe. Great jig.

7. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

The sharpies in that part of the world called them "gum drops"

they have an different name officially.
    Let you guess a bit, before i tell you :)

But, its what some of the pinhooking comms used,
    probably kept it secret from most at the time.

When i jig for grouper, its my favorite "jig" to start with.

8. Yankee Capts

Yankee Capts Well-Known Member

10 oz hammered diamond.

tugasangler likes this.
  9. benwah22

benwah22 Well-Known Member

Biggest grouper on slow pitch have come on Maxel Dragonfly and Blue Blue SeaRide V

10. luis94

luis94 Senior Member

I think it all depends on how you work the jig iv cought Groupers with many tipes of jigs.. also putting a small skirt on the assist hook helps a lot!!!

11. tugasangler

tugasangler Well-Known Member

This thread needs to be revived .

12. Striker Tackle

Striker Tackle Sponsors

People have been doing well with Grouper on our Striker Tackle Flat Fall jigs. www.strikertackle.com Grouper.jpg Scamp%20on%20Striker%20250%20FF_zpsgifbatdx.jpg

13. straycatboat

straycatboat Member

Where do you buy these and what colors work best?
    Thanks

14. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

Blast from the past then let’s bring the best from the past. Swim a bucktail with curly tail. Been slaying groupers as far back as I can remember and will as far forward as I can still remember.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  15. CAPTDAVEMIAMI@YAHOO.COM

CAPTDAVEMIAMI@YAHOO.COM Senior Member

White buck tail w/ glow worm. Old school.

Snaphappy and GARRIGA like this.
  16. Snaphappy

Snaphappy Senior Member

Well half old school...glow is new school, no?

17. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

I used jig heads with glow B2 squids in the mid 90s. I’m pretty sure glow grubs around long before that. Regardless. Guys been dropping jigs with plastic as far back as I can remember.

18. straycatboat

straycatboat Member

I meant where can you purchase these:
    Biggest grouper on slow pitch have come on Maxel Dragonfly and Blue Blue SeaRide V

19. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

Blue Blue can be usually acquired from Plat. Shipping has always been a deterrent unless you order enough. Digitaka has started carry more than reels. I’d check there as well. Otherwise search Google. Some specialty shops might carry but usually at a premium price.

As for color. I don’t think groupers care. My go to vertical jig is a Flat Side and on that I’ve caught them on glow, pink, blue and purple. Hammered and non-hammered Diamond jigs catch them as well.

They live on the reef surrounded by colorful fish and are opportunist feeders. Action trumps color. Goal is to get it next to them.

I seriously doubt it matters. Only reason I prefer glow is because it provides contrast when it stops glowing by providing a white silouhet against dark water and structure. Plus I honestly believe glow triggers bites.

Color catch more fishermen than fish.

20. straycatboat

straycatboat Member

Can you get these in the Us?
    looks like all sellers are overseas.