Best Harness

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by rtran, Jan 27, 2009.

1. rtran

rtran Senior Member

What are you guys opinion on best harness?

I used to own an aftco but never used it. I just got to try out the braid and black magic and I have to say braid is very comfortable. It doesn't put pressure on one exact spot.

What do you guys like?

2. rhale

rhale Senior Member

Braid power play.

3. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

I have the Braid Power Play for heavy tackle as well. My heavy plate is the Smitty's XXL w/ extra padding.

If there is a shop nearby that has a range of harnesses and plates, take the rod(s) you want to use with it and go try them out. Everyone is different, and you might as well find the one that fits you best.

4. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I used to own an aftco but never used it. I just got to try out the braid and black magic and I have to say braid is very comfortable. It doesn't put pressure on one exact spot.

What do you guys like?

What spot does the black magic put pressure on?

5. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

What do you guys like?

6. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Smitty's w/ long range plate

7. gman

gman Senior Member

IMHO there is no belt that you can wear more comfortable and use as much pressure on than the black magic. It has the single most unique design of all belts as the gimble portion of the belt isn't flat and center its deep between your legs which doesnt allow the belt to shift at all. It wraps inside your legs and keeps the force of the rod off your body.

To each their own as tastes differ but I have owned Braid (power play & stealth), OTR, Alutecnos, Aftco and Smitty to me there is no comparasin for big fish

8. gman

gman Senior Member

Rich if you want to borrow mine for PV be my guest, I can ship it to you no problems. On the Panama trip Sami's friend Hassaim had never fought a fish over like 20 pounds before and he was killing 100 pound tuna with that set up no problem in quick order

9. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

Smitty spider harness w/ their fighting plate.

10. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Somewhat on back of your thighs but it is not that bad.

11. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Rich if you want to borrow mine for PV be my guest, I can ship it to you no problems. On the Panama trip Sami's friend Hassaim had never fought a fish over like 20 pounds before and he was killing 100 pound tuna with that set up no problem in quick order

Sounds great Glenn Ill keep you updated.

12. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

hey glen can you send me the link for the harness?

13. rtran

rtran Senior Member

hey glen can you send me the link for the harness?

captharry.com

you can find it there

14. fishordie

fishordie Senior Member

Braid has several models of plate and harness depending on the application. Since I only use a harness on Cow size tuna and after testing numerous other manufacturers brands the only choice for me was the Braid Power Play line of Bucket Harness, Plate and just as importantly the drop straps. All three components are required for proper adjustment.

Some folks like the biggest Aftco or ??? plate but they tend to rise up towards the waist when under load. The properly adjusted Braid plate, while smaller, fits this fisherman perfectly (210 lbs and somewhere between 5 ft. 9 and 5 ft. 10 inches depending if I am standing up straight though I once was close to 6 Ft. but gravity is a *****) and stays in place during the fight. I have been on big fish trips where 20 out of 23 fishermen from 4 ft. 10 to 6 ft. 5, of all shapes and sizes were wearing these harnesses and all still wearing them and have worn them for years and years. The majority of these fishermen are well seasoned and respected big tuna fishermen and women.

I have always said the biggest issue with folks not liking harnesses is they do not take the time or understand how to set them up correctly. The Braid product is the only one that comes with a complete instructional manual on exactly how to set up everything including the proper angle of the rod in relation to the deck. And NO it is NOT 45 degrees. The manual will even show you the proper stance, balance and knee action to be employed.

The Braid Power Play is by far and away the most comfortable harness I have ever used as well as the most efficient. As a note, I believe it is also the only product that comes standard with quick release hooks for the reel lug to harness connection. VERY IMPORTANT.

Good luck with your decision

Jamie

15. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Smitty's with a long range plate

16. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Thanks for the input. I find the black magic suits me well. The braid is very comfortable but a little bulky.

17. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

we are all different weights and shapes. no one harness or plate works well with everyone. find a dealer that has several options and try them on and test them under a load. you have to find the right plate and the right harness that configures well to your body type. what works well on mr. bill ain't going to work on minnow. find a harness that feels good when loaded up 35lb of drag and then find a plate that doesn't move around very much when you are under a load. these items are sold individually for a reason....rick

18. jb2c

jb2c Guest

Also depends on whether you're on a large party boat in calm waters, or on a smaller private boat in rougher seas. Get a big fish on in a smaller boat in rough water, then you'll see alot more of the differences in the plates. I've only tried the Braid and the Smitty's XXL plates, but neither of them are wide enough when you have to take a wide stance to keep your balance.

JB

19. DanS

DanS Senior Member

Does the BM work well with spinners? My rod has an 18" butt section.

20. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

Smitty's w/ long range plate

I too have this set up and works great and does not put strain to my back.

21. DanS

DanS Senior Member

Thanks Bolo. You confirm what I've read elsewhere.

If I had a local saltwater tackle shop (I don't in Colorado), I'd try one out and experiment.

Anyone have a Black Magic standard-size model they're willing to loan me? Otherwise...

WTB: New or slightly used Black Magic harness and 17.25" gimbal pad. :)