best fly rod for trout

Discussion in 'Fish Species and Techniques' started by A.whitman, Nov 21, 2009.

1. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

I have a 10 wt tfo rod and want some thing a little lighter for trout and rat reds. i love tfo rods. what is the best wight? is a 6wt to light? i might use it for large mouth bass also, as they are often in the same ares. thanks

ANdrew

2. Frogfish

Frogfish Senior Member

depends on what you wanna do? I use a 6wt when I'm streamer fishing for bg trout up here in MI. When I go to dries, iI'll switch over to a 4 or 3 wt, depending on what I feel like throwing.

If you want to use it for rat reds too, I suggest getting the 6 wt. I've thrown dries on a 6 wt too.

3. bulllred

bulllred Senior Member

For the best I would say G.Loomis Cross Current GLX. 6,7,8wt.

4. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

Andrew, Second the glx cross current. pm sent

5. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

so maybe a 6wt? i want somthing that will be fun to use. im not worried about distance because i will be right on top of them in my kayak. what are the advantages of an 8wt as opposed to a 6 wt for small fish?

6. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

versatility. still fun on small fish and be able to catch decent size fish with an 8wt

7. Frogfish

Frogfish Senior Member

Also, a 6wt can overstress the fish as you'll spend more time fighting them. But if your main quarry is gonna be trout, then I'd go no heavier than a 6wt.

For brands of rods, I like the TFO TiCRx and the Sage Z-axis. I also have a bunch of St. Croix Premiers that have suited me very well for trout.

8. Mitchw123456

Mitchw123456 Senior Member

I use an 8wt for specks and reds from my kayak. After doing battle with some upper slot reds I'm really happy I went with the 8wt

9. crazy8

crazy8 Senior Member

I dont fish trout and reds, but small stripers and blues in the NE. My go to rod is a TFO TiCRx 9 wt, with sinking line. Handles blues up to 12# no prob. When the smaller fish are around in the early spring, I go to a 6 wt (fish are 1-6#) and they are a blast. Just sucks when you hook a larger fish on the light stuff and he runs into the rocks. I had a couple fish this year that I really wish I had my 9wt for (or my 8 or my 10!).............

10. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

i have a ten wt. what is the difference between that an an 8wt? the trout get to be around 2-4 pounds. i would also like to use this setup for freshwater fish like bass and bream. maybe im stretching its duties a little.

11. Grandpa21

Grandpa21 Senior Member

8 wt TFO TiCrX is a great rod for the money. It's on the faster side of the TFO line, although I have not casted an Axiom yet. TiCrX It was my go-to lighter saltwater setup for years until I recently got a great deal on a GLX. I agree that an 8wt is just about one of the more versatile inshore rod for the salt because it is great for reds, striper, specs, albies, flounder, carp, and can be doubled up for larger freshwater "mammal" eating species such as hookjaw browns, pike, muskie, and larger bass. But really fly fishing is just like any other type of fishing in the sense that there is not one single rod that will do it all. But since you have a 10wt already I think an 8wt would be a perfect compliment to the type of fishing your looking to to. Good luck!