Best Fishing late October?

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by rhale, Mar 25, 2009.

1. rhale

rhale Senior Member

I am getting married mid October and want to go fishing for the honeymoon, where would be the best area to go? I have never been out of the country fishing and have no idea where to look. I am mostly wanting to target Billfish and large Tuna but would consider another option if the time of year is not right. Thanks for any info.

2. HWK

HWK Senior Member

I'm getting married in mid October as well, and decided to head back to the Sea of Cortez. The bigger tuna show up that time of the year, and the rooster/cubera fishing not bad either. From what I've heard, most if not all of Central America goes thru it's rainy season that time of the year and could really screw up the fishing/honeymoon. We had planned on spending 2 weeks in CR or Panama, but I think I'm gonna save that trip for next spring.

3. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Ronnie,
    Cabo can be great that time of year. We released 12 bills in one day in October 07. It was an epic day. Also look into P.V. We were not fishing for bills but we were there last October and plenty were caught all around us.
    If you can swing it, I have been hearing a lot about S. Africa lately. It is on my list of fishing destination to hit.

4. BdaJay

BdaJay Senior Member

Puerto Vallarta Mexico, hands down! October is prime time for Blues and Blacks sometimes 500+ and yellowfin that reach 350+. Fish with Danny Osuana at Marlas Sportfishing and if you're looking for an incredible resort, stay at Villa La Estancia in Nuevo Vallarta. A perfect place for a honeymoon. It's a $12 cab ride to the dock.
    Danny will fish from 6:30 am to 6:30pm until you are satisfied. I'm sure you won't be disappointed!
    I personally measured a giant yellowfin at the dock a few years ago, that I helped lift off of the boat that wasn't weighed that would have given the world record of 388lbs a run for the money! The following day I caught one that weighed 250, it seemed like a runt after seeing the other tuna the day before! Needless to say I've been back there every year since.
    I've fished out of my hometown of Bermuda my whole life and also fished Cabo, Panama and Venezuela but I would have to put PV at the top of the list for a combination of big Marlin and tuna. I'm not trying to knock any of the other places, this has just been what I have experienced.

5. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

ronnie and hwk, congrats on getting married. i think that is a beautiful way to spend a honeymoon. PV seems to be a good choice from all the past reports on different forums. its pretty consistent that time. i have never been there but will scout it out for ya in september. lol. good luck guys! B

6. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

ronnie
    I have never been to either but pv and the east cape would be my choice in late October. Gordo banks is on fire in november bait marlin whales life evrywhere. One boat caught over 100 stripeys this year in a day.

Pv is hit or miss so I would fish 2-3 days for your best shot at a large tuna or black marlin.

Jared

7. Definitely the Baja, you can argue which side but it is prime time there. Cabo And MAg. bay are hot then, PV is over rated!

8. BdaJay

BdaJay Senior Member

Usually where ever you fish for BIG fish it's hit or miss. PV has plenty of big sails and dorado to make up for the "hit or miss" times. Some of the sails are the same size as the stripeys. Depends what your into 100lb fish or 500lb fish! I would fish 3 days minimum where ever I fish, you have to be pretty lucky to fish one day anywhere and hit the jackpot.

9. rhale

rhale Senior Member

Thanks for the info. We are planning on at least 3 days of fishing. It would be nice to get into some billfish of any kind and hopefully add to my soon 2 be wife's Biilfish list. A Pacific Sail, and a Black would be great additions, she already has Blue Marlin, Atlantic Sail, and Swordfish from our waters and all we can add without leaving the GOM is a White Marlin.

10. Argo

Argo Senior Member

PV, that is prime time there..... been there for the past 2-3 years during that time and will continue to fish the area probably for the rest of my life....

11. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

i agree with argo on pv in the month of october. fish at least 3 days and you should at least catch a nice marlin and maybe a decent sized yellowfin. plus the night life is awesome......rick

12. Argo

Argo Senior Member

when he says decent size he is talking 500lb marlin and 200+ tuna. Also a foot chance at sails and blacks too. We had a 120"+ sail the year befor last mixed in the tuna fun along with endless dorado every year in the 40 on range till your arms fail. The fishing there is truely nonstop. You can also bottom drop for huge pargo and other bottom species.