360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Site Sponsor
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tuna feed today was nothing short of epic. There were MILES of tuna breaking this am from 8 to 12 noon when we left them crashing.

I am completely spent. We had 9!! hookups today, 3 fish to the boat, 2 others almost to the boat, including a 50 minute battle with a 70 plus inch class fish that broke the leader near the hook just before end game. I had just Anuvat and virgin David, who also was seasick from 7am till we hit the dock at the late hour of 1PM. We left them biting, had nothing left in the tank for any of us.

I cant even lift my arms, my back is screaming, I think I pulled a muscle in my ass, I am black, blue, and purple all over my waist and stomach from tugging on these brutes with no belt, and I have bad braid cuts on every finger.... yet I feel effin awesome. Still floating pretty high after the sickest bite I have witnessed in person on large tuna anywhere, amazing explosions all morning long. Simply unreal. One pic to show what we were in today, more pics and full, detailed report tommorrow.

View attachment 7842

Attachments

·
Site Sponsor
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What a day Dom! Im glad everybody got on the bite today that will be burned into my memory forever.

Hell ya, what a day Chip. You guys tore it up too. I got torn up as well...... Bacardi Anejo and cokes are doin the trick right now though.

No trip for me tommorrow, hope you slay em again....but you know the expression...:D

·
358 Posts
I cant even lift my arms, my back is screaming, I think I pulled a muscle in my ass, I am black, blue, and purple all over my waist and stomach from tugging on these brutes with no belt, and I have bad braid cuts on every finger.... yet I feel effin awesome.

Sounds like you had a blast man......although I'm not sure how you pull an ass muscle :eek:

·
Site Sponsor
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like you had a blast man......although I'm not sure how you pull an ass muscle :eek:

This picture leaves one to wonder what actually happens on the ocean....
View attachment 7843

Thats how you pull an ass muscle.:eek: notice my other foot is mysterously missing from the boat. Why is it that the big ones always manage to get in the props?

Attachments

·
638 Posts
Brian, one trip at a time. We'll worry about PV first. I'm gonna try this in October with TJ and others. Hope the season holds up. A day like this one would be a day to remember. I'm not greedy, I'm just gonna NEED one fish...okay maybe 2.

Fred

·
373 Posts
If things are anything like last season you should be into tuna real good in October. We got our last fish I think on November 6th with very little pressure and few boats out there. I think most folks had already pulled their boats by then but we had a day with tuna all over the place the whole time. They were not easy after first thing in the morning but we did score later in the day. The fish right now are tough as there is a lot of pressure on them and unless you luck into an epic feed like Dom did today it can be very boring and lots of running around to find some happy fish but it's all good and part of the game. If you want to play you definitely got to pay in this fishery.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
While Capt Dom enjoyed 'best day yet', I had to endure 'worst day yet' though I fished only 5 - 6 miles away from him.
I fished on a private boat and we ran 114 miles in search of tuna for nothing. Not a single hit. :(
When Dam called me around noon when he left for the dock, it was too late. All action died down.
But it doesn't bother me at all as I got skunked so many times. :)
I'll continue to hunt for them as long as I can find time.

·
1,657 Posts
I cant even lift my arms, my back is screaming, I think I pulled a muscle in my ass, I am black, blue, and purple all over my waist and stomach from tugging on these brutes with no belt, and I have bad braid cuts on every finger.... yet I feel effin awesome.

Your my tuna hero. :)

Maybe time to put that battle station up front.

·
1,025 Posts
Man, I am with everyone else--you guys are killing me. I can't fit trips to Panama, PV, and the Cape into my schedule. At least I will be fishing newxt weekend for 60hrs in the GOM! Keep catching them! I may need to get out there soon.

·
Site Sponsor
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay, I am pretty beat up today, and am glad I am not on the water. The boat goes in for a new hardtop this week, as I am fishing the Oak Bluffs Shark tourney this weekend.

Yesterdays trip was insane as I have already mentioned. The hot lure was the soft plastic tuna candy, unweighted in white, pink, or yellow.

We had an early morning hookup around 6am, when I came tight on a shibuki. At first I thought it was a striper, as it shook its head quite a bit, then began coming back to the boat with minimal resistance. I then set it a few more times to test what it was, and sure enough a tuna surfaced just off the port bow, shaking its head. I must have hooked it in a very sensitive spot, because it didnt do much, until it got right near the boat. It went on one short run, and then began coming back to the boat very easily, when all of a sudden the hooks just pulled, and it was gone.

Another hit a few minutes later turned into another miss, and we were quickly 0 for 2 before 6:30 am.

It was then that I got the call from Rich aboard Black Rose, and we headed his way at warp speed to see what he was excited about. There were pods of birds up when we arrived, but no real crashes. We moved just a bit further east, and the ocean came alive with fish. We quickly hooked fish number 3 on another tuna candy, and Andy tore into it with gusto, only to have it spit the hook as it approached the boat its first time. 0 for 3, just like that.

We bumped a bit further up in the now swarming birds and rolling fish were everywhere. A pod came up crashing just off the port bow, but we got no love out of it. Seconds later, Andy hooked and promptly got cut off on another big fish, 0 for 4 and getting desperate at this point. Some days we are happy with 2 or 3 or heck even one good bite, and we were feeling pretty unlucky thus far.

I dropped another tuna candy out nehind the boat, and moved forward slowly letting out line. I had a few nice big marks under the boat on the finder, and when I began jigging the little 3 dollar lure back to the boat, it got inhaled. THis fish was angry from the start, and dumped almost the entire spool before we could react. Andy and I both jumped all over this fish, and got him near the boat after 3 pretty impressive runs at warp speed against 20 pounds of drag. WE got a bit of a glimpse of him as he came up and circled the boat, and then dumped another 3/4 of the spool straight down in 450 feet of water. At this point I knew we had to increase the drag, and we began the tiresome game once the fish got under the boat and began to circle. David was puking on either side of us as we ran around the deck following this pig, so it was just Andy and I working in shorter shifts each time.

Of course this fish found the props, as it was still taking a good 10-20 yards of drag each time we got it up to deep color. It switched directions twice then, and we had to scramble to free the line, backing the drag all the way off and lifting the legs. AFter getting drag back on this fish, it took another 10 minutes to get it back under us, and the ordeal began all over again. I again dumped everything I had into this thing, as did Andy, and we managed to get this beast within 1 or 2 circles of the poon, when the leader popped somehwere near the big single jobu hook. We tied to a barrel swivel, and connected via a HD split ring through the eye of the hook, but unfortunately the fish chaffed the leader, and it swam away slowly to live another day after a 50 minute tussle.

At this point, we were all cooked, and talks of leaving for the dock came up. I motored around briefly, and Andy almost had a cow when I dropped another lure back and began motoring towards the fray just a few hundred yards away.

Fish number 5 wasnt so lucky, and despite the battle with the possible giant, we managed to nail this one after a much quicker fight with good drag. Fish taped out at a fat 65 inches.

WE had two more fish in the next hour a nice 60 inch model that was set free quickly after a 8 minute struggle, and Andy hooked and fought a fish to within 2 minutes of landing by himself, but unfortunately his tank ran dry and David actually mustered up enough strength to help out the last 3 circles or so. It might have become the new leader in the tourney we have going as the largest to date, but the battle with the demon fish had sapped too much of Andy's energy.

The fianl tally in the carnage was 9 bites total, with good fights on 7 of them, including the near miss with the large class fish.

We used the OTI G3 series 60-100 spinner married to a Saragosa, and it was impressive. The rod had amazing backbone, and handled the big fish and one other with relative ease. I wish the Saragosa 14000F on it fared as well, it siezed up on the second fish and the handle will not turn. Can't really complain, as I maxxed out the drag on two seperate occasions on the big fish, and basically tested it beyond its limitations. I just didnt want to get in one of those 2 or 3 hour battles, which isnt good for the fish or the angler( thinking of me in this case mostly:eek: )

Pretty much one of the better days Ive ever had on the water.
View attachment 7847

View attachment 7845

View attachment 7846

View attachment 7849

View attachment 7848

Attachments

·
56 Posts
Congrats on a very good day Capt. Dom. Good work to find the bite(s). A little surprised about the 450 ft. depth, but if that is where the birds were you have got to get there. Nice to know that you, Rich and Chip are doing so well with this amazing fishery this season. We are very fortunate to be so close to such an opportunity.

·
1,541 Posts
My man Andy. Congrats on the nice fish! (PLURAL) I see youre giving that Tokara a good work out. How did you like the G3?

·
373 Posts
Dom,
Last Tuesday we had birds, bait and whales out east in 325-350 FOW. We hung in there for about 3 hours but nothing ever materialized on the massive schools of bait. Not surprised you found fish out deep as I saw more even further out in the binocs but didn't want to go further offshore for more of the same. Hoping to do a Wed. run this week.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts