Berkley X9 20 lbs Crystal ABS, FG, and PR Knot Test

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by aquaholik, Sep 12, 2018.

1. aquaholik

aquaholik Member

Berkley X9 20 lbs Crystal. This line reminds me of Fins 40G in texture and feel except I can't get it to kink up like Fins 40G. This line is nothing like Fireline, Nanofil, or even Berkley Pro Braid. It's just a very soft very limp smooth braid.

20180911_122824.jpg
    BerkleyX5X9.jpg

Berkley includes the European and Asian Specs. And the ABS tested right on the money at 37.10 lbs!
    Summary:

ABS : 37.10 lbs

Line Mass: 17.5 mg -------> Line diameter = .293 mm, no where near the listed .17mm

S/W = 2.12

FG = 26.60 lbs = 72 %

PR Knot = 31.90/37.10 = 86%

PR knot came in at 31.90 lbs (86%), but the knot broke at the mainline and not at the PR Knot .I did the PR knot to see if I can kink the line. I couldn't but obviously the line broke 2 inches in front of the knot. I'm sure the damage is from the twisting of the line when making the PR knot.

2. andrprosh

andrprosh Active Member

Why would they list different breaking strength for the US and Europe/Asia for the same line? 20lb for USA and 37lb for Europe/Asia, shouldn't it break the same no matter where you are in the world?

jon holsenbeck likes this.

3. benwah22

benwah22 Well-Known Member

This is a good question. The reason is how different countries list their line class, versus line test.

In the US, we use a pound-test classification. Of all the classifications, it's the most arbitrary because, generally, the line does not break at this level of tension, and there's no standardized diameter for the line. I would suspect that this came from the old mono days where 12lb line was 12lb line, and for an IGFA record it had to break at 12lbs. Now, not so much. One company's 20lb is the same as another's 50lb and another's 14lb. It makes no sense other than being able to place where one company's line stands in their lineup. For instance, for this type of line, it would be safe to say that the 20lb is a larger diameter than their 12lb, but less than their 50lb. Otherwise, it's not particularly useful.

Contrast that with Japan, where they use a system of PE ratings, and pound-class line. The pound class is the breaking strength of the line. The PE system is a standardized diameter of the line. It's an objectively better and more precise system than in the US.

As a result, you see the differences in how the strength of the line is stated depending on where in the world you happen to be.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  4. scubaarchery

scubaarchery Senior Member

I am not smart enough to tie either one of those sophisticated knots. Can you calculate a the break strength of a Uni to Uni with 40 pound flurocarbon? Using a six turn uni knot since the diameter is really skinny?

5. brn2surf1000

brn2surf1000 Member

Eric you can easily tie both of the knots. I will talk you through it if need be.

6. scubaarchery

scubaarchery Senior Member

I base my knot tying on if I can tie it at 2am after fishing all night so I try to keep it simple. I normally use wind on loop to loop and jansik or palomar knot but if something breaks a uni to uni is my backup

7. SaltyMax

SaltyMax Active Member

thanks to this review and I spooled my saltiga with 65lb for my YFT trip and could not be any more happy about it. The line run smooth and quite thru the guides and hold fg knot very well.

jon holsenbeck and ReelMe like this.
  8. DenisB

DenisB Senior Member

There is an issue with X9 braid constructions.
    It keeps the line nice & smooth & round , but the centre core carrier is straight while the outer X8 is in the typical braid pattern wrapped around the centre core . Under load this results in a lot more load on the centre core than the outer X8 carriers/strands. The centre core fails first at about 60% rated load & the strength is then only that of the X8 outer carriers / strands.
    At any load the centre core stretches more than the outer core & above 50-60% rated load the X9 throws loops of the centre core thru the outer X8 when the line is subjected to high cyclic loads ( pumping & winding etc ) & the line casts like crap after that as it is bulky & has high air resistance.
    Berkeley also markets an X8 product constructed from the same fibre as the X8 in the X9 product.

all the X9 I purchased quickly ended up in the rubbish bin , I continue to use the couple of X8 spools I purchased
    Beware !!!!! if you are a fisher who works his line under high loads.............X9 does not like high cyclic loads.............a great line when ONLY fished lightly loaded.
    FWIW