Beginner's Guide to GOM Partyboat Fishing for Tuna

Discussion in 'Charter Boat & Party Boat' started by scubaarchery, Jul 19, 2017.

1. awesum

awesum Senior Member

You mean you eat out of it? :rolleyes:

esgeo likes this.
  2. jpgrfan

jpgrfan Well-Known Member

I love my large cush-it. But, I find it to be in the way almost all the time. I like it on the butt of the rod when I hook up but not all the time. So, I keep mine on a 36 inch retractable tether on my belt. Keeps it handy and it's easy to put it on the rod butt when you hook up. Its easy to take it off and let it drop back to your belt, too.

:)

cnmcalpi likes this.

3. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

I just drilled a 1/4" hole in the top of mine, and now it clips
    onto a carabiner on my tackle bag.

4. Jefnguyen21

Jefnguyen21 New Member

@scubaarchery I think this is the closest thing to that jig you're wondering about. The only difference is that the eyes on yours are red and these are white I saw these on Aliexpress.

Attached Files:

5. scubaarchery

scubaarchery Senior Member

That sure looks very close!

6. Kim

Kim Senior Member

The Cush-its are far more adaptable and easier to use than a belt. The only time I use belt now is if I have to harness up on a big tuna.

lite-liner and cnmcalpi like this.
  7. lite-liner

used mine yesterday while fighting a couple large Dusky's.
    no bruising in the groin area this morning.
    quite grateful for that!

cnmcalpi likes this.
  8. cnmcalpi

cnmcalpi Member

I never did pick one up, headed out tomorrow. Hopefully I come back with bruises!

9. Tailhook

Tailhook New Member

Hi everyone. New member. Going on my first tuna trip this November along with my sister and bro in law. We are pretty stoked. This thread is awesome. I believe i have read it twice already. Looks like i have a few things to buy before our trip. A question for the veterans, I currently have an Avet LX G2 single speed and a Penn Fathom 30LD, would this be sufficient or do i need to upgrade. Im also planning on adding a spinning set-up. Hopefully we can land some nice fish and make it a yearly thing like the snapper trip. Thanks!!!

lite-liner likes this.
  10. Mpro2

Mpro2 Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard! (pun intended), I cannot speak for the Avet reel, but I myself will be bringing a Penn Fathom 30, 40 and 50 on my trip in October. I think the Fathom reels are very capable for a trip like this, mainly chunking and jigging though. I know they cast well, and I have used them for tossing Halco's. But, a decent spinner might work to your advantage on that tactic....

Tailhook likes this.
  11. ED SUSTALA

ED SUSTALA Member

I use both. Not sure why, but I prefer the cush-it for the bottom fishing during the day. I like the fighting belts for the BFT and YFT at night. I agree the belts are more restrictive. But thats what works for me.

12. lite-liner

Welcome Tailhook!

Tailhook likes this.
  13. cnmcalpi

cnmcalpi Member

So I used this beginners guide for my first trip, feedback coming from someone who knew nothing and now knows something, but still nearer nothing.

1. Be prepared for the intensity, I didn't realize how absolutely nuts the deck was going to go once nighttime hit. I wasn't mentally prepared to work as hard as I needed to either. Get fired up!

2. Wear good shoes, I wore some mesh deck shoes and my feet were wet the entire trip, was no good, blisters abound. Deck boots for me next round.

3. Bring plenty of tackle, be picky about your knots. The top bite was on the Halcos, I caught a big BFT and was cut off to untangle once we landed it. I retied my knot hastily to get back in the water, got hit by something that pulled a ton of line (probably my chance at a YFT) and my knot slipped. I will probably be pre-rigging everything with crimps next time to reduce the chances of this mistake.

4. The Asians will outfish you, and everyone else.

5. Be careful not to wear yourself out during the day drinking or bottom fishing too hard. You can get beeliners all day on a shorter, cheaper trip.

6. Watch the guys catching, and TRY to learn from what they are doing. I was watching and emulating but it really didn't make much difference for me. Probably because I didn't understand what was being done and blindly copying their motions. There is a significant skill component to throwing the Halcos at least that I just dont have. If anyone has any tips or strategies/ ways to think about this, please chime in. At least doing what they are doing and not just dinking around will give you a better chance.

7. The Asians will outfish you. YERROWFINNNNNN!!!!!!!!!

8. Come with a strategy. I kinda thought I had one but I didn't. Next time I go out it would look something like this,

Day fish lazily, I wouldn't put too much effort into it as to not burn up too much energy. Drop some squid and maybe do a little jigging to see if an AJ or something will hit it if in season.

Once at the rig, go ahead and jig for BFT and get my fill, I would only care for a few. I don't even eat fish really, my GF does. She cant eat beef, but loves fish and I am a cow eating machine so she eats the good fish I catch when I eat da bef. Take your football BFT and save them for chunking.

Once I get the BFT I want, get to casting and popping for YFT on top (This is presuming they are on top, and not down in the abyss somewhere. I will defer to Capt. Matt on that one.) This will wear you out after a while and takes alot more skill I noticed than just throwing the thing out there and retrieving it. What exactly you should do, I don't yet know.

After my shoulders are burning fire from casting, I would move to the chunk. Still trying to figure out exactly what proper chunking looks like.

9. Even after you get all that stuff down, the Asians will still outfish you. Live with it.

YERRRROWWWFIINNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!

BrianHouston and ED SUSTALA like this.
  14. Illy

Illy Member

a little offensive but good info in this. It will be my first tuna trip in November and trip to rigs as well as I’ve only been in Texas for 3.5yrs from the northeast. Trying to absorb all the info I can to be prepared to fill the cooler and get some tunas so keep these posts coming.

P.s. I’ve been on many Party boat fishing trips and it’s true, I don’t know what they do different but those guys can fish that’s for damn sure.

15. cnmcalpi

cnmcalpi Member

Its all in Jest, I can assure you. They were playing it up themselves. One guy made a comment about the Asians kicking our ass and one of them said "Fish no discriminate, you just cant fish" Baaaahahahaha!!! I about fell down.

rwc3500, Illy and Mpro2 like this.
  16. Illy

Illy Member

I’m not offended I think it’s funny. They are all always usually cool. Good stuff

cnmcalpi likes this.
  17. ED SUSTALA

ED SUSTALA Member

To learn more about chunking (what works for me) see my 2nd post on the thread "Best Tactic for YFT on GPB?"

cnmcalpi likes this.
  18. bnz

bnz Just a guy who likes to fish

If you want to learn on these trips, (1) watch what the guys who are catching fish are doing, (2) listen to what the Capt says when he marks fish depth, and (3) always watch what the fish are doing and adjust accordingly.

cnmcalpi likes this.
  19. Illy

Illy Member

One thing I’m curious about that no one seemed to mention.. how long is the ride out to the fishing grounds? I saw capt matt say earlier that sometimes they only have 60-90 mins of bottom fishing, so does that mean a 9-10hr boat ride out? Just curious ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

20. scubaarchery

scubaarchery Senior Member

If we go to boomvang we normally get much more bottom fishing because that is the closest rig but if the tuna are on the further rigs that’s where Matt will go and that is when the bottom fishing time gets cut