360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
361 - 377 of 377 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Hi guys, what do you think of the Daiwa Tanacom 1000? Which rod would you pair with it for GOM partyboat?

Also, any advice on batteries?

Thanks in advance!
I wouldn't go whit the tanacom 1000 the banax 1000 is much better reel and better support for it , daiwa just released a new version of the tanacom now is 1200 but is pretty much a copy between the banax 1000 and the 1500 , i own a daiwa tanacom 1000 and two banax a 1000 and a 1500 and the daiwa is just for backup, daiwa knew they under gun the tanacom 1000 and they try to get it in pair whit the banax 1000 but their new 1200 model looks to cheap made, from the plastic to the lever which is just a crappy piece of stamped metal it make the reel look cheap, plus tanacom are notorious to have problems whit their cables they just crap and if you don't have a replacement cable well that #2 weight will feel like #10 😂

842 Posts
I wouldn't go whit the tanacom 1000 the banax 1000 is much better reel and better support for it , daiwa just released a new version of the tanacom now is 1200 but is pretty much a copy between the banax 1000 and the 1500 , i own a daiwa tanacom 1000 and two banax a 1000 and a 1500 and the daiwa is just for backup, daiwa knew they under gun the tanacom 1000 and they try to get it in pair whit the banax 1000 but their new 1200 model looks to cheap made, from the plastic to the lever which is just a crappy piece of stamped metal it make the reel look cheap, plus tanacom are notorious to have problems whit their cables they just crap and if you don't have a replacement cable well that #2 weight will feel like #10 😂
I have a Tanacom 1200 and it is not a copy of any Banax and is made mostly of aluminum with some plastic in places it doesn't matter. Yes the stamped steel lever looks a little weird but it does the job. Just an FYI, the Tanacom 1000 and the Banax 1000 use basically the same cables. I've never had a cable problem but I always carry a spare anyway. Just common sense. I also have a Tanacom 1000 and and the only complaint I've had is with the drags. I replaced them with Carbontex and all is well. The Banax 1000 has a following and seems to be a good reel. The Banax 1500 is positioned as a swordfish reel is over twice the price of the Banax/Tanacom 1000. The Tanacom 1200 is just over half the 1500 price.

As for rods, I'm partial to bent butts and Pinnacle Marine Outfitters rods (I have three). I just received one of their Deep Drop 1000 rods and like it a lot. You can view them on The Hull Truth and they are made in San Antonio.

Pinnacle Marine Outfitters - Catalog - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

· Registered
17 Posts
I have a Tanacom 1200 and it is not a copy of any Banax and is made mostly of aluminum with some plastic in places it doesn't matter. Yes the stamped steel lever looks a little weird but it does the job. Just an FYI, the Tanacom 1000 and the Banax 1000 use basically the same cables. I've never had a cable problem but I always carry a spare anyway. Just common sense. I also have a Tanacom 1000 and and the only complaint I've had is with the drags. I replaced them with Carbontex and all is well. The Banax 1000 has a following and seems to be a good reel. The Banax 1500 is positioned as a swordfish reel is over twice the price of the Banax/Tanacom 1000. The Tanacom 1200 is just over half the 1500 price.

As for rods, I'm partial to bent butts and Pinnacle Marine Outfitters rods (I have three). I just received one of their Deep Drop 1000 rods and like it a lot. You can view them on The Hull Truth and they are made in San Antonio.

Pinnacle Marine Outfitters - Catalog - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum
The cables are very similar but definitely not the same even if you try to make them fit they are not interchangeable the ends are different the daiwa are a little shorter , but the main difference is the quality of the cables inside, i run the tanacom cable almost a year and it was fine then in one trip just carp out whit out me pulling or twisting it, i replaced it and that one only last me a couple of trips so i don't trust their cables, as for the banax so far i have not changing it in either reel maybe is just luck but now i carry spares any ways, the way they try to copy the banax reel is in how is made inside the gear and motor not how it look outside, i don't think the tanacom 1200 is a bad reel is just that in my opinion that the outside of the reel looks cheaply made even if you're to compared to the tanacom 1000, i am not a fan boy of banax in fact i was about to get a Daiwa Seaborg but i got a good deal on the Banax 1500, but i can really say if it have more power than the B1000 because every time i go out i keep hooking the big fish on the B1000 😂 hope this year i finally get to try it whit a big fish!

· Registered
12 Posts
Rate my quiver please for gom 30 hr trip. Intent is to have set ups to cover my dad and me for chunk, jig, and halco 130 casting. We've only been on 12hr snapper trips. This will be our first tuna trip. (I like penns and haven't tried anything else for offshore).

1)
Reel: Penn fathom 40 star drag (4.8:1 gears)
Suffix 832 braid 80#
Tested at 14# drag

Rod: Shimano talavera (not trevala) boat xh 6' 6" 50-100# braid rating
Thinking this can be a casting rig since it has cast control.

2)
Reel: penn fathom 25n star drag (also 4.8:1 gears)
Diamond gen 3 hollow core braid 60# (I took off a long mono top shot and spliced in more 60# braid to top it off)
tested at 13# drag

Rod: Penn Carnage III 7'-0" 65-130# braid rating (carbwiii50100c70)
Plan to cast this

3)
Reel: Penn fathom 25nld2
Same 60# hollow core.
11# drag at strike, 17# full

Rod:ugly stick tiger elite jigging 6'-3" my 50-100# braid rating, 4-7 oz lure weight

4)
Reel: Penn fathom 40nld2. 60# hollow core with about 20 yards 60# mono top shot.
12# strike 22# full (I think something is screwed up with this reel to jump so much)

Rod: Penn rampage jigging heavy 5'-8" 80-130" braid rating, 6-10oz lure weight

5)
Reel: Penn torque 40nld2 80# hollow core.
16# strike, 23# full
Rod: Shimano trevala xxh 5'-8" 160g-270g lure weight 80-200# braid rating

Spare fathom 25nld2. Thinking of getting another rampage jigging rod heavy.

Thanks.

1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #372 ·

6” in summer 8” in winter pink or blue…

· Registered
260 Posts
Any chance you can put some links? or DM them to me?
The Frenzy flyers can be hard to find as of late, although I had just talked to Charkbait.com in California, he says that they have 10 of the 8" rigged Pink ones in stock.
They are 19.99 a piece for the rigged ones, I didn't ask how many Blue ones they had but it shows online they have them.

361 - 377 of 377 Posts