360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
341 - 360 of 377 Posts

· Registered
190 Posts
Where are you fishing from? I fished Hubbards Marina in Florida and they had those and sold piggy perch for the livewells! That was convenient…
I have fished and worked on most all party boats over the years on the west coast. The Florida fisherman ll has them built in. So did the Ranger 5 when it was here. Years ago all the garbs brought their own live wells on the offshore trips and you would have them all over the boat. One reg one time took bleach and killed all the live bait on the boat but only his bait was alive. Not hard to figure out who did it.

· Registered
190 Posts
The Double eagle includes live pin fish on the 12 to 36 hour trips. They rig up a big livewell on the boat and hook it up to a big pump. On the Ranger 5 they had lots of probs with the wells as they would stop working or lose prime all the time.

· Registered
1,296 Posts
I have fished and worked on most all party boats over the years on the west coast. The Florida fisherman ll has them built in. So did the Ranger 5 when it was here. Years ago all the garbs brought their own live wells on the offshore trips and you would have them all over the boat. One reg one time took bleach and killed all the live bait on the boat but only his bait was alive. Not hard to figure out who did it.
The Ranger 5 spent some time in Galveston.

· Registered
190 Posts
The Ranger 5 spent some time in Galveston.
I know it came from TX. It started running trips here in 1993 with our Capt Matt. It did two 36 hour trips a week at $60 for a mid week and 75 for a weekend trip. That pissed off the Florida fisherman as they had to drop their prices for the same trips. I loved the boat with the V16's and it would do 17 knts easy with plenty of room. Just that it rolled like crazy like V hulls do. It had bait wells all along the sides that you could sit on. The galley was up front and burned thru so many cooks. I cooked on it for around a year until it blew a motor and sat up at dry dock for a while.

842 Posts
What I remember about the Ranger 5 was the heated handrails (they pumped hot water through them), the seat belts and the no air conditioning. It obviously originally came from the Northeast before it came to Galveston. I only went on one trip on it and really don't remember if we even caught anything.

· Registered
190 Posts
What I remember about the Ranger 5 was the heated handrails (they pumped hot water through them), the seat belts and the no air conditioning. It obviously originally came from the Northeast before it came to Galveston. I only went on one trip on it and really don't remember if we even caught anything.
I never knew it had heated rails. I guess being in FL you would never need them that much. The owner had a great thing going on the 36 hour trips. Free coffee , a drawing for a free steak dinner and after you buy 9 trips you got the 10th trip free. With our Capt Matt we killed the fish and since it was only 60 to $75 it was easy to make some good money selling fish. But that boat killed the cooks. They could not handle the rough weather. The first trip we went out was rough as hell the poor cook got killed just about. Poor guy opened the fridge and the boat rolled and he fell backwards and heads of lettuce rolled out and busted him in the balls. We ran fast to beat the FL Fisherman in them days as they only did around 12 knts. I still like a cat much better than a v8. Much rather pound then roll.

· Registered
12 Posts
I read this a few times before joining.

I'll contribute some hook notes/details for reference. I also made a new thread with the same info.

Halco 130 OEM, Owner ST66 4x 2/0, Mustad 9430 5x 2/0 hooks

Weight and wire diameter near bend.

Thanks to everyone for sharing information.

Attachments

· Registered
17 Posts
I read this a few times before joining.

I'll contribute some hook notes/details for reference. I also made a new thread with the same info.

Halco 130 OEM, Owner ST66 4x 2/0, Mustad 9430 5x 2/0 hooks

Weight and wire diameter near bend.

Thanks to everyone for sharing information.

Basically the hooks that came in the lure are trash, but i found that if you put on heavy hooks the lure dont swim as well, I like more the BKK vipers trebles the raptors are good but the are to heavy they are similar to the OWNER, other solid option is use inline single hooks i have a few lures whit singles and so far i have not see difference when fighting the fish,I never use those Mustad hooks before so i cant comment on those but fighting big fish and cheap hooks dont mix well believe me i know $4 plus a hook sound crazy but you only lose one tuna to a cheap hook and you understand, also i think the most important thing is that the lure swim correctly you can tell that whit big heavy hooks the lure have lest action more like just being dragged to the water, just go to a place whit clear water and experiment whit different size hooks and you be surprised how much the lure action change depending on the hook.

1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #359 ·
I use it on my trips. I put it on a Shakespeare Tiger Lite XH jigging rod but would recommend a bent butt rod if you want to get a new rod for it. They make Daiwa rods for them. There are small portable batteries for electric reels that you can buy. I use the battery I keep in my garage to test my thumpers because I have it anyway.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, what do you think of the Daiwa Tanacom 1000? Which rod would you pair with it for GOM partyboat?

Also, any advice on batteries?

Thanks in advance!
I wouldn't go whit the tanacom 1000 the banax 1000 is much better reel and better support for it , daiwa just released a new version of the tanacom now is 1200 but is pretty much a copy between the banax 1000 and the 1500 , i own a daiwa tanacom 1000 and two banax a 1000 and a 1500 and the daiwa is just for backup, daiwa knew they under gun the tanacom 1000 and they try to get it in pair whit the banax 1000 but their new 1200 model looks to cheap made, from the plastic to the lever which is just a crappy piece of stamped metal it make the reel look cheap, plus tanacom are notorious to have problems whit their cables they just crap and if you don't have a replacement cable well that #2 weight will feel like #10 😂

341 - 360 of 377 Posts