360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
281 - 300 of 312 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Any thoughts on high visibility braid? I still would be using like a 3ft fluro leader but I heard the tuna have such good eyesight that I didn’t know if they saw it at a distance if that would be an issue. I thought it might be helpful when fishing at night.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Any thoughts on high visibility braid? I still would be using like a 3ft fluro leader but I heard the tuna have such good eyesight that I didn’t know if they saw it at a distance if that would be an issue. I thought it might be helpful when fishing at night.
I’ve never struggled to get bit using white or yellow braid with a short topshot when fishing top water. Same with jigging but I typically fish a bit more topshot if I’m dropping a jig. Dark braid at night or low light is just not a very nice thing to impose on your fellow anglers and deckhands. Some tangles are just inevitable…

·
Registered
38 Posts
Weather question,

If its 40 degrees at port...what will the on water temp be? How prepared for cold as hell on the deck do I need to be? I have bibs and deck boots, not been able to get a good jacket as of yet though. Would have to use hoodie/carhartt combo. Probably not ideal for alot of spray. I could always spray down with water repellent.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've had great trips in both rough seas and glass calm. I have a picture somewhere of Hoover in totally flat seas the morning after catching 5 YFT and managing a hoo on the morning troll. The only other time I was out in seas that flat I came home with 1.5 blackfins, a couple of beeliners, and a sunburn. My experiences in rough weather are inconsistent as well. I believe Eric is correct, if the bait is there then the fish are there.

·
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #296 ·
Guys, I hope to head out on the May 12th trip on the New Buccaneer. I am fishing with some veterans and a couple of new guys. As you can expect, one of the guys had a bunch of questions so I put together a video with him. It will premiere on You tube on Wednesday on 5/11/22 at 8:00 CT! Here is the link, please join if you can and ask your questions! Hopefully Matt can join since he knows more than me :)

281 - 300 of 312 Posts