360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
261 - 280 of 312 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think somebody already asked about flying-fish lure but I cannot find the link.
Last trip on NB, at Gunnison, most of the hookups were on Yummy flying-fish lures.

1) Which kind of flying-fish work the best? Which size?
I saw some of them floating, some of them sinking.
2) How to rig them, if tail hook is needed?
3) How to fish them? Fish them like a chunk bait with chunking equipment or like a Halco with popping setup?

Thank you

·
Registered
11 Posts
What's y'alls opinion about tying halcos and poppers directly to the leader vs tying a solid ring to the leader and doing a split ring-solid ring connection? I've never tried the ring-to-ring method but the ability to change lures without shortening the leader is appealing. Are there any downsides aside from having to use split ring pliers (or other upsides)?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi guys what would be the disadvantage to a 7 ft jigging rod for this kind of trip? I know most have 6 ft. That’s what I have and wanted to see if that would be a problem.
That would be good for casting. But shorter is much better for jigging. An Ugly Stik Tiger jigging rod is about $80 at Cabela's or Bass Pro if you can manage to get one?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thankfully I was able to make it work to get on Galveston party boats in April. I read a post where someone had his gear stolen. Is this really a concern where I have to keep a close eye on my stuff?

Also for chicken rigs what size line and hooks do you use?

Thank you

261 - 280 of 312 Posts