360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
241 - 260 of 297 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
hello scubaarchery, thank you for all of your information. I’m going out of Williams in April with my two boys 13 and 14, just because they have a date that works for me. Could I ask if you are reserved in one area, are you able to go to the front of the boat to cast halcos? Any place you suggest to reserve your seat on the boat if you have the option? Thank you very much!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I will thank you. But it seems on your video at least GPB allows you to do that is that correct?
With BPB your numbered spot is where you'll be during the bottom fishing, and when you start fishing for tuna one side of the boat will be reserved for jigging and chunking, and the rest of the boat is open for casting. Most people will go to the bow but you can cast from the stern as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This might seem like a silly question but since I am new to this I don’t really know. How come one can’t use the party boat rods for jigging? What about the jigging rods that you bring on the boat is different to allow you jig better? Thank you

·
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #256 ·
You can, however:
1. My jigging rod is super lite making it easy to jig all night.
2. My Ocea Jigger reel is designed specifically for jigging so it’s a narrow high gear ratio reel that is also very comfortable to jig with
3. I use indicator braid so know exactly how deep I am jigging
4. I have both spinning and conventional jigging rods so can use different hands to jig with
In essence jigging rods are designed for a specific purpose the rods and reels on the boat are more for bottom fishing and chunking.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Another big advantage is when you use your own reel you can load with braid. I prefer the lack of stretch and minimal line bowing when trying to jig. Also as Eric mentioned. If you use indicator braid you will know your depth which can help a lot.

I use the tiger stik elite jigging rods and they are great. Just remember to never high-stick a jigging rod. In hockey it will get you a penalty, in tuna fishing it gets you a busted rod.

241 - 260 of 297 Posts