360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
221 - 240 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Ha! Yes you did! Hope you got a new Ugly Stik Tiger! I chucked a halco all night and lost both yellows that hit me. I'm going for redemption in Oct.
Yes I did. I have plenty of Tiger rods now, and absolutely love them for the price and performance. My son is leaning toward spinning tackle now, so I'm trying to go that route even though I love chunking a conventional....Good luck in October!

·
Registered
208 Posts
On the first one I had messed with the drag so I could pull some line out and forgot to tighten it back up. When the yellow hit me the drag was too loose to get a solid hookset so he spit it first chance.

2nd one was my last bite of the trip. I had been catching blackfin all night so when this one hit I wasn't expecting anything. He fought like a decent blackfin for a while and I was pretty apathetic about the whole thing. All of a sudden it was like the fish kicked on afterburners and took off. Unfortunately he took a hard left and drug my line across the anchor before I could react. The second my line touched the anchor it was over.

Short answer, dumb avoidable mistakes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey guys, getting the itch again. I have been making an attempt to build a house this past year during COVID with many struggles and haven't wet a line in a year or more at this point.

Given I've been complacent in booking, not any availability on the New Buccaneer.

Any opinions, compare/contrast on Williams' Capt John? I see there is a little bit of availability, and it would get me out on the water.

-Nick

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hey guys, getting the itch again. I have been making an attempt to build a house this past year during COVID with many struggles and haven't wet a line in a year or more at this point.

Given I've been complacent in booking, not any availability on the New Buccaneer.

Any opinions, compare/contrast on Williams' Capt John? I see there is a little bit of availability, and it would get me out on the water.

-Nick
I posed this question a long time back before I'd ever taken a trip out of Galveston. I got the same answer Eric gave you. I went with GPB and fell in love with the operation. I've never been out with WPB so I can't give any thoughts good or bad about them. I can say that Capt Matt is an incredible captain and he works hard for his customers. I would second Eric's advice about calling the office and seeing if you can find a spot. If you need to plan in advance like I do then I'm pretty sure you will still have a good time on WPB. They have been in business a long time and if they were bad at their job then I doubt they would have survived.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I posed this question a long time back before I'd ever taken a trip out of Galveston. I got the same answer Eric gave you. I went with GPB and fell in love with the operation. I've never been out with WPB so I can't give any thoughts good or bad about them. I can say that Capt Matt is an incredible captain and he works hard for his customers. I would second Eric's advice about calling the office and seeing if you can find a spot. If you need to plan in advance like I do then I'm pretty sure you will still have a good time on WPB. They have been in business a long time and if they were bad at their job then I doubt they would have survived.

I'm headed out on the Capt John next Thursday for a 36 hr.

I have been on the New Buccaneer a few times, maybe I can provide feedback when I get back on the differences for future inquiries.

I did just crack out at FTU and buy a Talica 16 wrapped in indicator braid and a FTU house name jigging rod for this trip. Feels like butttttaaaaaaaaa!!!!

If anyone has an opinion....where the heck should I set my drag? I lost a YFT last go around due to a crap hookset from light drag on my saragosa.

·
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 ·
I just posted a tip report. I think WPB are very good at bottom fishing but they have limitations on YFT. I do t think they have the range and chum like the NB does. I am also not sure about overhead casting. There are two schools of thought on drag. I like my drag set so that it’s very hard to pull off of my reel, makes it harder to pool the hook on the initial run but also gives too much freedom to tangle close to the boat. Other option is to set it at 25% of your line breaking strength e.g. 15 lb for 60lb test to control them better and hopefully not have them pull the hook.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm headed out on the Capt John next Thursday for a 36 hr.

I have been on the New Buccaneer a few times, maybe I can provide feedback when I get back on the differences for future inquiries.

I did just crack out at FTU and buy a Talica 16 wrapped in indicator braid and a FTU house name jigging rod for this trip. Feels like butttttaaaaaaaaa!!!!

If anyone has an opinion....where the heck should I set my drag? I lost a YFT last go around due to a crap hookset from light drag on my saragosa.
If you have a scale for weighing fish it will help a lot in setting the drag. Lots of YouTube vids for that procedure.

I lost a YFT to a loose drag two trips ago. Worse yet he hit it next to the boat and swam past me so I got a look at him. I know I lost a good fish. It won't happen again!

·
Registered
9 Posts
This was very helpful and well timed as im going out on the New Buc Monday for the 30 hr., it will be the first time I’ve been on a party boat. I was curious, how many rod setups do you take out and are you able to go back to your vehicle after the initial boarding process? Or do you pack your milk crate full and carry everything on in one go?

·
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #235 ·
I carry 6 outfits, 3 popping, 1 conventional, 1 spinning and one electric reel. I put everything in line before boarding and make multiple trips. Your car is right there so you can easily go out to it…

·
Registered
5 Posts
I carry 6 outfits, 3 popping, 1 conventional, 1 spinning and one electric reel. I put everything in line before boarding and make multiple trips. Your car is right there so you can easily go out to it…
i guess when u say popping you are using the halcos/jigs on the popping rods as well as your popper? what size line and leader are u using? Also do they provide an electric reel if you dont own 1? thanks for all the information.

·
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #237 · (Edited)
Correct. I use threadlock 50!with an 80lb fluorocarbon leader. I mostly throw Halcos with an occasional popper. They do not provide an electric reel, just the holder that I picked up in the video.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Last trip I went on (WPB) there were bullet to football size blackfin holding at about 500 ft (!!!!), I wasn't too interested in working from 500 ft up for such low returns. Chunking, at least in the typical manner wasn't going to produce anything as there was a near zero top bite. Seems like there were in fact YFT down there feeding on the BFT, they just werent interested in our jigs as they were feeding on the schoolie BFT.

-What is a good strategy to employ when you encounter the bite so deep to target the larger fish?

-I would like to have live lined a bullet out on a sinker in order to match the hatch, but what does that terminal tackle even look like? 1-2lb inline sinker using flouro leader to a circle hook? Nose hooked? Tail hooked?

-BFT wanted pink pencil jigs, what were they eating that had them targeting these jigs? We were in about 2000 ft of water, sand eels from that far down?

I'd like to improve my strategy and tackle game each time I go out, hopefully I can tie up some deep drop live line/chunking rigs of some sort and put them in my binder for the next rodeo.

221 - 240 of 240 Posts