Beginner's Guide to GOM Partyboat Fishing for Tuna

Discussion in 'Charter Boat & Party Boat' started by scubaarchery, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Tx_Balbuzard

Tx_Balbuzard Active Member

Tackle wise I've taken y'all's sage advice and I'm good to go now. I know I'm asking the hell out of questions here so I'll throw everything in all at once:

1. My first trip will be in Dec. what do I need to be plan on bring clothing wise? do I need bibs and special made jacket? I plan I wearing shrimp boots.
    2. Vittles: What's the food situation? Do I need to bring all my own food or not? I know Scuba covered this on the OP, but I'm getting conflicting reports.
    3. Storage: I know that capt Matt stated that rods and tackle will need to be stored on the upper deck. I'm assuming we're able to keep or clothing on our bunk, correct?

2. Mpro2

Mpro2 Well-Known Member

Can't really say what the weather will be like in December yet, but I did a late November trip once and it was pleasant wearing jeans and a long sleeve t-shirt. You can bring food, but the cook can make a really good cheeseburger on the griddle at a very reasonable price. They also make breakfast burritos and sandwiches for breakfast. Not a huge menu, but enough to get by on for the trip. And, rods and tackle stay upstairs, but I always bring enough stuff inside to make leaders or whatever while sitting at my table to pass the time. Clothing, sleeping bag, overnight bag, small soft sided cooler can stay with you at your table/bench. Hope this helps....

3. TomH

TomH Active Member

The breakfast burritos were better than any of the places I frequent around home and they were priced very well. Snack food would be a good idea for a quick bite in between drifts but the galley can keep you well fed for a very reasonable price.

Considering what you pay for a beer in a bar these days their beer prices are good too if you like a frosty one every now and then while fishing.

jshorty, jiggingnut and Mpro2 like this.
  4. scubaarchery

scubaarchery Senior Member

Bring rain gear in case it rains, you need to stay dry.
    Bring layers of clothes so you can add and subtract based on weather changes and fighting fish.
    I usually bring my food for first 12-24 hours than buy from the galley but I’m an ex-army guy so not super picky. You can cut costs by filling your soft side with snacks and drinks.
    You can keep your clothes and small tackle boxes at your bunk. I keep my milk crate upstairs by bungee cording to the rail.

Tx_Balbuzard and rwc3500 like this.
  5. scubaarchery

scubaarchery Senior Member

6. Tx_Balbuzard

Tx_Balbuzard Active Member

Picked up a Penn Squall 50 and put it on a 6' Tackle Direct Silver Hook Rod Hvy Wt rated for 50-100lb test. I'm gonna fill her up with powerpro 80lb braid. All these late season reports of 100+ lbs. fish made me think I better beef it up.

7. Brian10

Brian10 Member

On my last trip a few guys brought their own zip ties to tag the fish. Would yall suggest this and do the deck hands mind?

8. Illy

Illy Active Member

They give you a number and then staple it to the fish

9. phuongph

phuongph Active Member

I had my first trip in December last year and it was a big success with 8 YFT. Probably you already know the gears, so I will be add some points for beginners.
    1. Talk to your doctor to get a patch for seasickness - Somebody advised me that but I decided to bring Dramamine only and think it was good enough due to my experience with 8-9 one-day trips. First day of last year trip, the waves were about 7-8 ft and I was totally defeated - just fished for 30 minutes and got a couple of beeliners. It was terrible. Second day, the wind and waves died down and I could fish. If you are not a seasoned fisherman, don't take any chance like me.
    2. Don't bring banana on the boat :D
    3. Bring a light headlamp. It's useful when fighting a fish (when landing) at night, or retied your knots, or looking for your favorite lures in your bag.
    4. You can keep most of your stuff in your bunk - bring a light sleeping bag and a pillow for your comfort. It can be very chilly inside the cabin.