360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
181 - 200 of 240 Posts

·
Banned
5,120 Posts
I think my problem is, like you theorize, operator induced.
When dropping, I move the drag lever a lot and I am probably moving the drag knob by accident.
I'm going to try some scribe marks on the drag knob and reel case,

What's "Proud Deplorable" mean?
Yes, 100% operator error, which you understand,
and your solution, is to continue the error,
but with marks on your reel next time. o_O

STOP playing with the lever drag while your jig is descending,
that is NOT how a lever drag is operated or designed to operate.
God gave you the perfect tool to accomplish this,
your THUMB.
That is how you control the decent rate, or pause it,
when using a reel.

Don't mark up your reel,
just start using your reel properly,
and your issue will go away.

Deplorable = trump supporter and hillary hater.
my guess, you swing red too :)

PS> next time you are on a boat, look around,
anybody else using their lever drag like you do?
hint, no.

PPS> sounds like you should look into SPJ,
perfect for those who have no idea how to jig properly.

:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Easy, Jack, no need to yell. For me, this forum is supposed to be fun and informative and helpful and devoid of politics and religion and...

My hands have lost strength and are very shaky and arthritic. I can't true speed or twitchy slow jig anymore. Geriatric and rocking chair jigging (see my post of Aug 2, p 7, this thread) require different techniques, but an educated thumb is still a requisite. I wear baggage handler gloves, but, using my favorite 400 or 500 gm spd jigs, am no longer able to easily stop the line going out on a descent. So, while using my gloved thumb on the spool to control descent speed, I use my other gloved hand to sort of hold on to the crank side of the reel case, and work the drag lever to about half load when I want to stop line peeling off. Then, I move my left hand to the rod so I can move the rod up and down in a lazy arc, easy on the old body. When a hook up does occur, I increase the drag load and really pull back... I seem to get more hook ups on the descent, so I don't want to just fast drop to desired max depth, set the drag, and jig up.

Occasionally, I see a few other old souls who use the drag similar to me; one nice gentleman taught me the rocking chair technique when I asked him about it. Doesn't catch as many fish as the geriatric jig, but it still brings some tuna in.

I've watched and questioned many anglers on jigging techniques. Ten or 15 years ago, one of the best speed jiggers I have ever seen is Cap'n Jill. She could catch more tuna on a 5 minute break than I could on the complete drift. Her daddy, Cap'n Johnnie, could catch more YFT during a nap on the bench than I could during the whole night. Patrick Lemaire, Rita out of Texas City, Robbie out of Dallas (he would go on a 36 hr, next day on a 12 hr, and next day on another 36 hr) plus others, all helped me. About the time I learned to really speed jig, I couldn't.

I've been on 50 - 100 tuna trips mostly on the Cap'n John, over the last 10 - 12 years. Within the last 3 or so years, I've gone mostly on the New Buc, 'cause Cap'n Matt started assigning bunks. (Thanks!) Haven't been since Feb, but that's about to change, with 3 trips scheduled.

Here's a cool treat for you and lite-liner and any other interested angler:

Liquid Triangle Fluid Rectangle Water

·
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
Pulled the trigger today on my rods and reels. Picked up and 8000 Saragosa and paired with a terez 7'2" for halcos and popping. I also picked up an Avet JX 6.0 and put it on a Penn Rampage 6' jigging rod for jigging, chunking, and bottom fishing. I'm thinking I'll throw on some 80# diamond braid for both.
. Those are great combos. I normally use a 10k reel and a narrow conventional so you should be fine!

·
Banned
5,120 Posts
Easy, Jack, no need to yell. using my favorite 400 or 500 gm spd jigs, am no longer able to easily stop the line going out on a descent.
one of the best speed jiggers I have ever seen is
Thought you might be hard of hearing as well :)

400-500 gram jigs for tuna ???????????????????????????
Really????????

Maybe for bottom fishing in 700+ feet,
but not for tuna.
200-250 grams is more normal size for tuna,
ANYWHERE in this world.

Ask on this board, you won't find many using
that weight for tuna under most circumstances.

Scale down the weight of jigs you are using,
now, you can stop it with your thumb,

don't need to operate your lever drag like a DJ scratching out a beat
on a record player.
Your reel problem is solved.

Speed jigging is the original SPJ,
but with much more effort/work.
Drop jig, reel fast, reel faster, pump rod, repeat.
Underwater trolling basically.

Those using 500-600 gram jigs to speed jig,
well, they really don't know much either if they
are using that weight jig to speed jig for tuna.
Just robots doing something that they don't even understand
what they are doing.
If they did, they would know such a heavy jig works
against them in so many different ways,
they wouldn't do it.

Drop the jig weight
and your reel problem is solved,
and probably some other issues as well.
Much easier to fish with 200g than 500/600g,
you might even improve your catch rate with a properly sized jig.

Good luck.

Purple Violet Pink Triangle Tints and shades

Reactions: gotmuddy

·
Registered
32 Posts
. Those are great combos. I normally use a 10k reel and a narrow conventional so you should be fine!
Thanks scuba. It's been a real challenge trying to suss it all out while living in San Antonio. We dont have the same quality of tackle store they do on the coast and I'm a hands on shopper. Next up is line, terminal tackle, and lures.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Thanks scuba. It's been a real challenge trying to suss it all out while living in San Antonio. We dont have the same quality of tackle store they do on the coast and I'm a hands on shopper. Next up is line, terminal tackle, and lures.
I think Scuba lives in North Texas, not too far from me. I've had my best luck searching and buying new tackle and equipment on Ebay, just saying.

·
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
Yep, I live in Dallas and have bought all of my stuff through here and eBay. I have tried many rods (Smith, synit, salty water etc.) and reels (Stella, Saragosa, Alutecnos, jigging Master) all via online. In general I buy used and sell for almost the same or the same so that gives me a chance to try out different things. Spend a bit on shipping but all in all works for me. When I start bluefin fishing after rona, I will have to upgrade my reels but I haven’t bluefin fished for 2 years so didn’t want to keep those Stella’s on the shelf...

·
Registered
136 Posts
I live in San Marcos there's nothing here. But I've been finding all my gear online. If you want to be hands on my suggestion is get yourself a prime membership and that way if you don't like what you buy you can return it for free. I've bought most of my tackle off amazon and usually with prime it's cheaper than on other websites. eBay is good too but you will have to pay for shipping

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm up here in North Texas as well. Online is definitely the way to do it. Tackle Direct seems to have anything you need in the lure/terminal tackle department. I'm sure there are a hundred other good sites that I haven't tried yet.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thought you might be hard of hearing as well :)

400-500 gram jigs for tuna ???????????????????????????
Really????????

Maybe for bottom fishing in 700+ feet,
but not for tuna.
200-250 grams is more normal size for tuna,
ANYWHERE in this world.

Ask on this board, you won't find many using
that weight for tuna under most circumstances.

Scale down the weight of jigs you are using,
now, you can stop it with your thumb,

don't need to operate your lever drag like a DJ scratching out a beat
on a record player.
Your reel problem is solved.

Speed jigging is the original SPJ,
but with much more effort/work.
Drop jig, reel fast, reel faster, pump rod, repeat.
Underwater trolling basically.

Those using 500-600 gram jigs to speed jig,
well, they really don't know much either if they
are using that weight jig to speed jig for tuna.
Just robots doing something that they don't even understand
what they are doing.
If they did, they would know such a heavy jig works
against them in so many different ways,
they wouldn't do it.

Drop the jig weight
and your reel problem is solved,
and probably some other issues as well.
Much easier to fish with 200g than 500/600g,
you might even improve your catch rate with a properly sized jig.

Good luck.

View attachment 111814
Jack, I give. U either can't or won't understand geriatric jigging and I'm too old to change. My reel problem is not drag knobs, but that I haven't been offshore since Feb. I'll bet u $100 I'd catch more tuna and another $100 I'd catch more weight than u and be happy to lose, just to be fishing. But, I'd probably win 'cause I've given away more tuna that I've kept on my last 10 trips or so. And I keep a lot to give some to homies.

My real goal is to make the trips I'm signed up for in Oct, Nov and Dec, plus maybe another one. But u won't be able to id me 'cause I'll be wearing a mask.

And ur comment on my hearing is the first funny thing u've said.

·
Registered
178 Posts
My favorite Tuna jig is the salas PL68 single hook at 10.5 ounces (300 grams) and 7.5 inches. My GO TO jig for yellowfin... glow in the dark... I dont leave the dock without 4 of them. drop it deep and crank like hell, keep cranking through when you get hit.... keep cranking while the drag sings... the nanosecond he lets go of the lure you will have him hooked... keep cranking through with around 30 lbs of drag and 100 lb test minimum.. If you stop cranking when the tuna hits.... he will spit it as soon as he realizes its metal... and the hook wont set... crank through it like you would with a wahoo

Mark at charkbait sells them for 13 bucks each

https://charkbait.com/product/salas-pl-68-heavy-jigs/

D-C

·
348 Posts
My favorite Tuna jig is the salas PL68 single hook at 10.5 ounces (300 grams) and 7.5 inches. My GO TO jig for yellowfin...crank through it like you would with a wahoo
D-C
That lure only works in SoCal, Pacific Ocean

Tried lure 2 different trips in the Northeast. Cranked & cranked till arm sore... not a touch...
Anglers to the right & left hooked up on Hammered & regular Diamond Jigs... go figure... o_O

·
Registered
178 Posts
I tried the halco 130 yesterday in the pacific at both Tanner and Cortez Banks.... no tuna on Halco 110 or 130, a few bonita nailed it, but no bluefin or yellowfin... threw it for an hour at each spot... a few colors... weird huh... works in gulf but not in S. Cal. Did come home with 2 bluefin on bait and four yellowtail on bait/jigs (Salas 6X scrambled egg)

I have a Tady 14a with no paint left on it, it used to be blue and white.... none, all paint gone... corroded metal... It catches yellowtail like crazy and kinda gums up the "What color jig are you using" conversation after a big one comes over the rail. Cant seem to lose this baby either, countless times hung up on the bottom and with the help of Izor blue it has always come back.... crazy too....

The PL68 will have to be tried in GOM Red... you understand...

Good one!

D-C

·
Super Moderator
6,255 Posts
That lure only works in SoCal, Pacific Ocean

Tried lure 2 different trips in the Northeast. Cranked & cranked till arm sore... not a touch...
Anglers to the right & left hooked up on Hammered & regular Diamond Jigs... go figure... o_O
Same here. thrown Salas jigs all over the gulf with ZERO results
on tunas. almost as bad as those shimano waxwing blade baits.
just dont work out here, no explanation why.
at least waxwings are good on Mahi....

·
Registered
178 Posts
Damn... Me thinks there will be lots to learn... sounds fun... Before I call it quits on salas and tady Ill have to crank my arm off... out of respect for the lures... I think AJ will nail that Tady 14a or Salas 7.... Yo-Yo style... We will know soon... So... prepare for the humor LL, Ill have to try once....

Soon

D-C

·
Super Moderator
6,255 Posts
yes 5 or 6/o is good for a chunk hook.
I prefer Mustad Demon or Owner Super Mutu
Salas and tady jigs appear to work very well on large barracudas.
that may be why I don't fish them......

181 - 200 of 240 Posts