360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what a rebuild looks like. This is one of my favorite cod jigging sticks that was VERY tired,The foregrip had been cut and reglued to refasten the seat that had come loose.without rebuilding the whole stick.
Anybody ever remove a complicated butt wrap?:eek: interesting job. so, here's the removal of the thread,wraps,guides,and the foregrip,the blank is then sanded to remove all the paint and finish. thoroughly cleaned with denatured alcohol, then a good coat(or 2) of U-40 perma-gloss(I love this stuff) Looks like a brand new blank.:) I left some scratches where the new foregrip will go, to give it a "tooth" for the adhesive to bite to.
I'll post the "After" when the rod is ready to fish again.

Attachments

·
-- Tackle Ho --
2,784 Posts
I love that huge knife..I did a rebuilt on Brian KGS 2 weeks ago and I think the hardest part is taking out the out stuff. It's a little challenge taking everything apart.

·
1,448 Posts
you guys are lucky to have basements.
is it ok to sand the blank to get the old leftover bits of epoxy off? i have all but minute traces off. sanding should do the trick if its ok.

·
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is it ok to sand the blank to get the old leftover bits of epoxy off? i have all but minute traces off. sanding should do the trick if its ok.

I'm not going to recommend sanding a blank. I don't know of anyone else that does this. I started doing it years ago out of necessity. I fish my stuff VERY hard.Most of my time on the water is spent commercial fishing,and my stuff takes a serious beating.They need rebuilding every couple seasons.(both rods AND reels) I've never had a problem doing this(I've had alot of experience),But that doesn't mean you couldn't. I just don't know. If you decide to do this ,Your on your own:D I certainly wouldn't do it to a carpenter or a fisherman:eek:

·
-- Tackle Ho --
2,784 Posts

If you have to rebuild the rod, you will have to sand the blank down for sure, make sure you use the finest sand paper you could find since anything rough will screw up the blank, the only thing you want to do it remove the epoxy outside and nothing else. Be very patient with this, one thing I see is that when you are sanding the blank, there will be white powdery stuff coming out (thats epoxy) when the gray or black stuff coming out (thats the blank).

·
Randy Bassinga
1,407 Posts
To remove 2 part finish, hit with a hair dryer or heat gun on low and rub with a craft stick. The stick is not hard enough to damage the original surface but the additional heat from the friction of rubbing wears away the epoxy neatly

To remove blank surface finish, use scotchbrite instead of sandpaper. This will remove the paint and gloss from the blank without cutting into the blank material itself. You can use this under power from the wrapper as well. Use alcohol with the scotchbrite pad and it will keep from building up any heat and make for a more polished job itself. On graphite rods, this will produce such a nice surface that you may not even wanna refinish it.

I dread rebuilding work though, takes longer then doing a newy from scratch and I am too lazy for that. Well done for taking them on mate, youre dedicated!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts