Been a busy boy

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Atlantaking, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Atlantaking

Atlantaking Member

Well, in preparation for my upcoming trip with PurEvl, Bretabaker, his father and Chip, I'm busy making arrangements, tying rigs, rigging jigs, checking line and what not. Unfortunately, I just could not get any assist cord in time, but I did stumble across this line. It's 200lb dacron planer board line. Not quite the right stuff, but it seems to work ok; the leaders are fairly stiff, but with a bit of flex to it. It seems to be pretty strong (I lifted 40lbs of dumbbells with one and it held just fine) and the loops are easy to splice. I also welded up some solid rings (made of 0.051" SS wire, brazed with silver solder) to loop the hooks to. Take a look. Any feedback, comments, snide remarks, jokes, or raucous laughter would be appreciated :eek: :D

[​IMG]
    The three on the left are 5/0 Gami Live Bait HD hooks. From hook eye to solid ring it's about 2.5" long. The 5 on the right are 7/0 Eagle Claw L319 (I think :eek: ). The cords are spliced to the rings, and then tied with an overhand knot right behind the eye, and the end is whipped with size-D rod building thread, superglued and shrinkwrapped.

[​IMG]
    Close-up of the solid ring and split ring; I went ahead and rigged it like this so that I can pull one out of my bag, tie it on and then grab a jig.

2. rtran

rtran Senior Member

are those solid rings flat pressed or round?

3. Atlantaking

Atlantaking Member

Round. I formed them out of stainless steel wire and brazed them together. :)

4. rtran

rtran Senior Member

5. Atlantaking

Atlantaking Member

Hey, mad marlin, what kind of cord do you have on the big fish hooks? Also, what is "N.-1" :confused:

Oh, yeah, a general question: after reading through all 17 pages :)eek:) of threads in the rigging forum last night, I noticed that Spectra, Dyneema, and Kevlar is most often used for assist hooks. How come Dacron or monofilament is not used more often? It is because of the strength? :)

6. tngbmt

tngbmt Senior Member

this is my version. i had the split ring open to show the difference between the 2. the solid ring holds the hooks while the split ring holds the jig.
    i had thought that the split ring doesnt need to be of any strength since the jig wont be holding any weight .. so i put a 10lb split ring on the jig. i lost 4 jigs in one night. the solid ring held and i landed the fish .. minus the jigs. i now use 30# split rings.

oh yeah, i need some round solid rings too :)

Attached Files:

• jig2.JPG
      jig2.JPG
      File size:
      46.7 KB
      Views:
  7. Atlantaking

Atlantaking Member

I've got the hooks rigged to a solid ring, and a split ring (80lb test) for the jig.

oh yeah, i need some round solid rings too :)
    Hmm, business opportunity...:p Heh, at the rate that I make the rings at (like 5/hour), they'd be running like $8 each! LOL :D

8. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

Atlantaking,
    You need to get some kevlar it holds up much better than dacron I if you still lived in ATL I was going to give you some kevlar for your trip.Let me know if your interested I know where you can buy it for about $15 for 100'/500 or 300lb
    Those rings sure are pertyy!

9. Atlantaking

Atlantaking Member

Does the Spectra hold up better in abrasion resistance (like to fish teeth) or in pull strength? I guess I'll test these to destruction on Saturday (knock on wood :p ) and see where the problem areas are.

crazyjigr, thanks for the offer. I've found a couple of places to buy hollowcore spectra in 300 and 500lb strengths; it's just that because I'm an idiot and forgot to order some early that I don't have any right now :eek: I'll be sure to order some for the next trip, but for this trip, the dacron assist cord will have to do (or I'll be doing some crazy rigging with mono, superglue, swivels and rings while on the boat :D )

10. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

dont forget the ducktape!
    Kevlar cord is best

11. gmack

gmack Senior Member

Where can one purchase kevlar cord? I've searched on the net and haven't come up with much.

Gary

12. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

atlantaking, have you stress-tested your solid rings yet?
    Im curious what the breaking point would be on a brazed-stainless
    ring vs. the die-stamped flat ring, like Williamson uses on thier jigs.
    I'm a little apprehensive on brazing stainless as far as test strength.
    I think I would rather TiG-weld & grind/polish for strength.
    just my lame-assed opinion, but I'd sure like to see an easy alternative.
    buying those damn rings is getting expensive!
    tight lines
    -Brian

13. gman

gman Senior Member

Well, in preparation for my upcoming trip with PurEvl, Bretabaker, his father and Chip, I'm busy making arrangements, tying rigs, rigging jigs, checking line and what not. Unfortunately, I just could not get any assist cord in time, but I did stumble across this line. It's 200lb dacron planer board line. Not quite the right stuff, but it seems to work ok; the leaders are fairly stiff, but with a bit of flex to it. It seems to be pretty strong (I lifted 40lbs of dumbbells with one and it held just fine) and the loops are easy to splice. I also welded up some solid rings (made of 0.051" SS wire, brazed with silver solder) to loop the hooks to. Take a look. Any feedback, comments, snide remarks, jokes, or raucous laughter would be appreciated :eek: :D

[​IMG]
    The three on the left are 5/0 Gami Live Bait HD hooks. From hook eye to solid ring it's about 2.5" long. The 5 on the right are 7/0 Eagle Claw L319 (I think :eek: ). The cords are spliced to the rings, and then tied with an overhand knot right behind the eye, and the end is whipped with size-D rod building thread, superglued and shrinkwrapped.

[​IMG]
    Close-up of the solid ring and split ring; I went ahead and rigged it like this so that I can pull one out of my bag, tie it on and then grab a jig.

Nice rigs, are these for long jigs? I've always lived by the hook pointy should be somewhere near 1/3 the length of the jig. Very nice attention to detail

14. gman

gman Senior Member

Where can one purchase kevlar cord? I've searched on the net and haven't come up with much.

Gary

Anglers pro shop has it in stock right now, I suggest the 50 size

15. gman

gman Senior Member

however this rigs are my N.-1 , when big fish are bitting

Are these the pre made shout hooks, if so I love them, my favorite

16. gman

gman Senior Member

This are the Shout Jaco Glenn , I found a great deal on the net for this hooks.
    This are my favorites too:D

I had a HUGE 5' barracuda take my jig this weekend down in Miami and the shout Jaco hook got all chewed up beyond belief and it held perfectly. I was amazed. They held up great to the AJ's as well because of the wide gap they lodge perfectly in the corner

17. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

I recently got the idea to use hollow core braid to tie my assist hooks. They came out great using 500lb jerry brown. I'll post up some pics later

18. Atlantaking

Atlantaking Member

lite-liner, I haven't really fully stress-tested the rings yet, as I just don't have the equipment capable of it. However, I've tried breaking a few of them some time ago, and it was hard with a pair of pliers. I think on a lateral pull, they should hold up to at least a hundred pounds (I know for a fact they hold at least 40 lbs :p ). As for the comparison between the flat stamped rings and a welded ring, I think the flat stamped ring would be stronger as it is one piece, with no weld. However, the welded rings have a fully round cross-section whereas the stamped rings are kinda flat. I recall seeing a test of some welded rings on either Allcoast or SenorTuna where a ringed hook (I think it was an Owner Gorilla) was nearly straightened, and the ring held! Just so everybody knows, the solid rings on my hooks are the ones that cord is spliced to; the other ring is the split ring (my solid rings aren't all perfectly round :eek:)

g-man, I think I made this batch a bit too long, as I was using the Williamson Benthos 9oz, which is nearly 9" long. They'd a bit long for the smaller jigs I've got. Would that be a big problem?

19. gman

gman Senior Member

not really I always keep my assist hook close to the head area as most fish always strike the head first unless its a long 10" or more jig then I will use a short and a long hook