360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that have bought new diamond jigs, beware. We found out the hard way that the eye on them is just a little eye bolt with threads about 1/2" long.

These were the glow ones, and i figure the crome ones are the same.

I still lost the jig part with an assist hook attached. At least i got the fish with it rigged that way. But unless you want to take a chance with the flimsy things i'd steer clear of them.

·
1,095 Posts
What brand? Who sold them? Were they being sold/advertised as thru-wired, etc.? Did u talk to seller about it? Maybe they are unaware (being scammed) if an outside supplier is making them. Your statement is a little too broad to be useful. Many, many vendors are selling diamond jigs in various finishes and qualities. But thanks for the heads-up.

·
804 Posts
i have had some of the 4oz. bead diamond jigs that the eyelet opened up a little on one side, did'nt lose any fish, but could have.

CM220's will solve this problem.

·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you would take the time to read the topic you would see the brand.BEAD BRAND. We had 4 of the 8 oz glow diamond jigs fail.

The eyelet pulled out the bottom of one that the treble hook was on.After i seen that i took the treble off one of mine and put an assist hook on the top. Line was tied to the solid ring and the eyelet still pulled out with no pressure on the jig, just the assist hook.

I dont remember if i got them at bass pro or academy.

if anyone is close to the bass pro on 288 south of houston stop in and buy one and see if the eyelet wont unscrew. We just bought them on the way to the big e 60 hr trip this last weekend. I still have the eyelet somewhere.

·
1,095 Posts
2busy said:
If you would take the time to read the topic you would see the brand.BEAD BRAND. We had 4 of the 8 oz glow diamond jigs fail.
QUOTE]

If it was clear the brand was BEAD it would have been clear. I've never heard of them, so I ass-u-me Bead was an adjective describing the finish and not the brand name.:D :D Thanks for clarifying!!

·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
chf1949 said:
2busy said:
QUOTE]

If it was clear the brand was BEAD it would have been clear. I've never heard of them, so I ass-u-me Bead was an adjective describing the finish and not the brand name.:D :D Thanks for clarifying!!
The finish would be, glow.If i could figure out how to use this scanner i would scan the eyelet and post .

Maybe some of you know what a eye bolt is. Some of the old screen doors on houses had them to keep the screen door latched closed.it is coarse threaded for screwing into wood.

That is what they used on these jigs for eyelets to attach the hook and for tieing your line to.

·
Super Moderator
6,227 Posts
Man, that's wierd. after reading your first post last night, I went & looked
at some of my BEAD 8oz diamond jigs (I have 16 of them), and not a single one had a screw-in eyebolt. all were bought @ BPS grapevine.
I would definately call BPS to verify they were shipped a legitimate product.
in 20 years, I have never had a diamond jig fail like that.
I have since switched to Dan's CM-220 jigs, that have a better finish & action. (and price!!):D

-Brian

·
675 Posts
if anyone is close to the bass pro on 288 south of houston stop in and buy one and see if the eyelet wont unscrew. We just bought them on the way to the big e 60 hr trip this last weekend. I still have the eyelet somewhere.

The Grapevine BPS stopped stocking the Bead diamonds a few years ago and replaced them with Marathon. I see they still have both on their website and both have similiar failure compliants so could you double check the manufacturer of the ones that failed?

·
153 Posts
I don't think they are "screwed in", but I HAVE had the hooks pull out of a couple of Bead jigs. The first time it happened I pitched it overboard, but then I came to my senses and the next time it happened I rigged it with an assist hook.

I don't buy Bead diamonds any longer :)

I either get them from JigsRigsandStuff.com or Kil Song

·
1,699 Posts
I bought some at Bass pro in Grapevine last week and they are the Bead brand. I did have the bottom eye break off on a bead glow this fall.. So I put an assist hook and caught a ton more fish before finally loosing it to a Cuda. I will probably just cut the bottom hook of and rig with assist.. I do like the glow jigs..

·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bought some at Bass pro in Grapevine last week and they are the Bead brand. I did have the bottom eye break off on a bead glow this fall.. So I put an assist hook and caught a ton more fish before finally loosing it to a Cuda. I will probably just cut the bottom hook of and rig with assist.. I do like the glow jigs..

After i rigged it with an assist hook i still lost the jig part. I wish i could get this program to send the picture, but something isnt working right. I have it scanned and ready to go but i cant get it to send the picture. still trying to figure out what is not working.:confused:

says i dont have an e-mail program installed or associated with program.

·
1,699 Posts
here is the pic that he emailed me.. I will pull one of new ones apart and see whats in it.. I really hope I wont find those on the new ones.

Attachments

·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So did anyone else have an eye bolt in their jigs? they will not just easily unscrew, it might take a little pressure to break the bond from the molten lead. I have a few more that i am going to check as i have lost all confidence in them.

·
1,699 Posts
Yep, I just unscrewed one of mine.. came right out.. with a pair of pliers.
that is highly dissapointing...

this is fresh right out of the package.. guess I will go straight to assist hooks..

Attachments

·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep, I just unscrewed one of mine.. came right out.. with a pair of pliers.
that is highly dissapointing...

thsy is fresh right out of the package.. guess I will go straight to assist hooks..

I just checked everyone of mine and they all had that cheesy eye bolt:mad: sone of these were a few years old. I bet everyone out there is the same.

I took all the treble hooks off and will go to assits also.

·
Site Sponsor
3,896 Posts
Wow - I've never seen an eye bolt just screwed in like that, sure to fail. The manufacturer's really have this ingrained mentality that they are doing you some favor by saving a penny here or there. I've spend hundreds of hours doing my very best to beat it in that I'd rather spend an extra nickle or dime to assure that we will never have a failure. Its been a fight and alot of educating the manufacturer about the type of fish we are after and the extra loads and pressure that is hopefully going to be applied to our products. Even given the QC and other measures to assure quality, we actually hand -repackage the jigs here as a final QC measure. If a ring looks suspect the jig gets melted into sinkers :eek:

I've really worked very hard to ensure that our CM220 is the best Hammered Diamond Jig out there, regardless of 'brand name' or price. As always you get what you pay for, but in our case I hope you get a little more!

You can order these jigs from Welcome to TackleNow.com!, Kil's JignPop, and Paul at JRP.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts