360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a popping rod built and my builder suggested using the Batson Zirconium guides because they have a 50mm guide as where Fuigi doesn't make one this size. Does anybody have any expierence with these guides? I really want it to be a casting machine hence I wanted the bigger first guide. Comments, suggestions?

·
366 Posts
I've not used Batson guides, but here's a few thoughts on the subject.....

Zirconium is 72% as hard as SIC. Granted, nearly all modern guide inserts withstand spectra, but it's something to keep in mind. I don't know anything about Zirconium's thermal properties or coefficient of friction, maybe somebody else has this info.

If you correctly place a Fuji 40mm MNSG on the rod blank (and face the double leg up the rod) I've not had an issue with line slap, even when using a Stella 20k.

If all else fails I'd use Fuji HVSG's. I have these on a couple of rods and they cast great. Again, a 40 should be all you need.

This is not a dig on Batson at all, but I've never found a reason not to use ICMNSG, MNSG or HVSG guides. These 3 are VERY well tested in the jigging and popping world. All of my popping rods have one of these three and I've not noticed any issues with them.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I also dont know the thermal properties of zirconium, but i do know that fuji guides i have never had a failure, where as with a few zirconium guides I have had rings pop out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts