Bass Pro shop Jigging ROD.....beware

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by Muddskipper, May 25, 2008.

1. Muddskipper

Muddskipper Senior Member

So I go by BPS to see some of their offshore gear, and wind up with the mgr, on the offshore rod isle.

I ask him about jiggin rods and he says they dont have any shimanos in house but they have their own line which is preety good....

So I take hold and ask with they flex like the Trevella......at that point I bend it over about half of what I would do to a trevella or most any other jigging rod and SNAP !!!!:eek: ....holy crap that sucker broke like a tooth pick......

Im like "uhhhhhh......do I need to pay for that ????".....wihle laughing on the inside...

He was preety cool and said it would go into the broken bin........

I left and found my wife....to tell her what I just did.......hehehe

So if your wondering how they will hold up at a $100 bucks a pop....save your time returning the broken rod...and get something else.......:cool:

2. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Makes the flex in the trevala seem barable for $99.99

Can you kindly note the model of this bps?
    Some of the "offshore angler" items they have really really dont add up. My experience is everything from the split rings, branded jigs, plugs, and fishing line (magi-braid)......

3. canyondiver

canyondiver Guest

Is that $100 a pop or $100 a snap?
    Pretty lame for a jigging blank!

4. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

YOu get what you pay for. Although I'm sure EVERY Manufacturer has had the same thing happen.

5. jureal

jureal Senior Member

When the updated trevalas first came out, I attended one of Shimanos butterfly seminars. They were demonstrating the action of the new trevalas in front of about 100 seminar attendees when the tip broke with a loud crack heard and seen by everyone. They quickly hustled the broken rod off stage and got a new one but did not do any more pulling for the rest of the seminar...lol

My friend won one of the grand prizes....it was a trinidad16n mounted on a trevala rod. He told me that the first thing, he was selling the rod but keeping the reel.

6. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

When BPS has offshore angler shirts on sale for $9.99 I buy them.
    I'm more picky as far as rod and reels go though...

7. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Since I just happen to have recently purchased one of these rods I thought it would be a good idea to post some photos of it loaded with a 10 lb weight.

Rod:
    Offshore Angler Offshore Extreme Freestyle Jigging Trigger Rod
    Model: OE60XHT
    Line Weight: 80-200 LB
    Lure Weight: 8.5-11.5 OZ
    Size: 6' XH

Reel:
    Daiwa Saltist 30T with 50lb Ripcord SI braid

I am still on the fence with this rod. I might return it for a Daiwa Saltiga Jigging Rod to match my Daiwa Saltist 30T and my Daiwa Ishidai Z40.

I am also considering the Penn Torque Rod and the Accurate Xnergy Rod.

I hope this was helpful.

Ty

Update:
    I returned the rod. Lesson learned, stay away from the cheapo rods with overstated ratings.

8. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

I wont build on offshore far-east blanks..Buy American made rods & blanks..

9. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Typhilly

Your a lucky man. That rod wanted to snap. Next time wind down closer to the weight when doing the lift.

d-a

10. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Typhilly

Your a lucky man. That rod wanted to snap. Next time wind down closer to the weight when doing the lift.

d-a
    d-a,

I am leaning towards that same thought, that it wanted to snap. By lifting the 10 lbs weight from the floor I was trying to simulate reeling in a fish off the side of a boat. Was I wrong in attempting to dead lift the weight in this manner?

I am still new at jigging, this is my fourth season and always open to learning new things to improve my skill level.

Regards,
    Ty

11. d-a

d-a Senior Member

TY

The fourth picture was almost high sticking it. Thats a great way to ruin a rod. If your gonna break it , break it with in a year. The Bass Pro Rods only have a year warranty. They have a date code on the rod, and hope you got a fresh one off the rack or kept you receipt.

d-a

12. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

TY

The fourth picture was almost high sticking it. Thats a great way to ruin a rod. If your gonna break it , break it with in a year. The Bass Pro Rods only have a year warranty. They have a date code on the rod, and hope you got a fresh one off the rack or kept you receipt.

d-a

d-a,

Oh ok. Now I understand what you meant by "high sticking" the rod. I remember how it felt and where the forces were acting on the rod. Most likely I will return this rod for a better "off the rack" model :)

Ty

13. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

I looked at them during my last trip to Atlanta, stopped in that store there just north of town. I just wasnt turned on by them. I like the look and feel of the cheapy salitiga rod much better.

14. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

I looked at them during my last trip to Atlanta, stopped in that store there just north of town. I just wasnt turned on by them. I like the look and feel of the cheapy salitiga rod much better.

I packed mine back up ready to ship back to BassPro Shops. I will replace it with the Daiwa Saltiga Rod to match the Daiwa Saltist 30T.

Then I will look into higher end rods to match my Daiwa Ishidai Z40; maybe a custom spiral wrap rod in a funky cool color.

15. Eastern Tackle

The guides on the saltiga are wiggly, but its a beautiful combo IMO. I'm a sucker for blue/silver wraps on black. Mine should get a work out this weekend.

[​IMG]

16. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

The guides on the saltiga are wiggly, but its a beautiful combo IMO. I'm a sucker for blue/silver wraps on black. Mine should get a work out this weekend.

[​IMG]

Great! Just when I get closer to making up my mine something comes up to put doubt into it... hahahaha.... is it possible that was just a one off freak occurance with the "wiggly" guides? I agree the Blue/Silver looks nice. :rolleyes:

Is that the Saltiga SA40?

Ty

17. Eastern Tackle

No someone else had mentioned the guides. When I got mine, I may have been a little too critical. But for the money, its looks good!

Its a 30T, which I loaded with PE6. Just got off the phone with my fishing buddy. I think its definitely going to suffer some abuse this weekend. The 100lb. AJ's should be here soon, if the water will clear.

18. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

No someone else had mentioned the guides. When I got mine, I may have been a little too critical. But for the money, its looks good!

Its a 30T, which I loaded with PE6. Just got off the phone with my fishing buddy. I think its definitely going to suffer some abuse this weekend. The 100lb. AJ's should be here soon, if the water will clear.

Ok Thanks for that clarification.
    The Saltiga 30T looks great. I have the Saltist 30T and I will upgrade the drags to Carbontex. I definately like the strong narrow reels.

Good luck on your trip this weekend. I look forward to hearing about how the Saltiga Rod and Reel performed for you.

Are you also using the Saltiga PE6 line? I am considering that as well.

Ty

19. Bullred2177

Bullred2177 Guest

Capt.
    Who makes a domestic jigging rod or jig rod blank?/

20. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

Capt.
    Who makes a domestic jigging rod or jig rod blank?/

who makes anything in america anymore?????.....rick

by the way graphite rods won't take loads when they are loaded at angles of more than 45 degrees. once past that angle you are getting the high stick effect and a breakage can occur. i have seen lots of people break rods and most of them say they didn't high stick the rod. however in the heat of a battle and trying to get around some one or something that's the first thing they do is lift the rod up at a 90 degree angle and never realize they did it.

these composite rods are awesome when fished properly and their sensitivity and strength is amazing but they are not to be abused or fished improperly. they don't like to be stepped on, slammed in car doors, or high sticked....rick