BarBar 30-50# Hybrid Standup w/ Power Plus

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by SkeeterRonnie, Mar 7, 2007.

1. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

Here is the BarBar rod with a 20# scale weight. The line touches at nearly every point between the guides. It still has a little left with the load, but the line touching the blank worries me. I wouldnt put more than 20# on this one. The quality is remarkable and the rod is very nice for the price ($149) if I wasnt such a rookie- i would have never put 20# on this rod.. that is WAYYY overstressing the amount of load the rod was designed for. this was my fault! I wouldnt hesitate fishing 14# of drag with a max 20# on this rod...

Here the link for the specs... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=006&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=160075906632&rd=1&rd=1

[​IMG]

2. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

Thats AWEsome, is tht a torque you got on that rig?

3. SkeeterRonnie

thats a Shimano Tiagra 16 with topless frame....

4. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

That rod is max-ed out big time. Notice how you had to high stick it to get the 20#'s off the floor. Two more pounds of weight and pop goes the weasel. I wouldn't fish that rod with more 15# of drag unless you like hearing that snapping sound. For the money, it's a nice rod. It should be rated to 40#s. Thank goodness it has a lot of E-glass the last 1/3 of the stick.

5. SkeeterRonnie

lol.. i think I will set 15 at strike... If it pops... oh well. I plan on replacing it with a heavy OTI jiggin stick when they arrive. then a HooX for one of the OTI 400 gram rods.

6. jig

jig Senior Member

I am gonna have to go home and try these tests on my rods. You have me curious now.

BTW, I just read on BD.com that the HooX prototype is at the Fred Hall show in California, and is supposed to be out to dealers next week at $409. But I am now also interested in the new 665 2spd Accurate coming out soon as well. Its a lot more, but is supposed to have much higher drag. Gonna wait until some real world reports come in from both. But sure would like to have one or the other before Cinco.

7. jig

jig Senior Member

MrBill, what is your standard in determining that a rod is maxed out at a certain weight? This is an issue that has been bothering me for a while as I switch to lighter gear and heavier line. I have historically resolved by kinda going middle of the road as to stated line rating (i.e. a 40-60# rod I fish with 50#line, a 20-50# I fish no more than 40# line, 50-130# I fish 80#line, etc.) But I want to try these tests and find the maxed out point myself since I am starting to push tackle to its probably limits. I assume around 1/3 weight for the given line's real breaking strength, but how do you really tell the rod is maxed and about to break, without actually doing so? I really don't want to be standing there with two pieces thinking "hmmm guess that Chaos maxed out 5 lbs lighter." :)

Oh, and any one else's opinions on this appreciated as well.

8. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Example:

A rod rated 40 (50) 60 is what the manufacture calls a 50 pound rod. It should be able to be max-ed or pushed to a 60 pound rod. That means 60 pound rated line. The low end of 40 means that anything less than 40 pound test will not give the rod a proper load. Since this rod is designed to be a 50 pound class rod, you probably should not have more than 18 pounds of constant drag used on it. You should also use a minimum of 13 pounds of drag to get the full advantage of the design. It should be able to lift 17 pounds of dead weight with no problem.

The better blank manufactures are conservative on their ratings. That's why people push them beyond the rated strength.

If you don't want to snap the example rod above. Start with 15 pounds and add one pound at a time. When you feel you are "High" sticking it and you feel it starting to twist, you have peeked out. Use a gimbal to keep the rod from twisting during the testing. When you start hearing cracking sounds, stop. The glass is being compressed on the under side, and stretched on the top side.

The Bar-Bar 30-50 that starts this thread is really a 40 pound rod. A 14 pound dead lift should be most this rod can fish. Ronnie pushed the rod by 40% of its rating. I'm surprised he wasn't holding two pieces. It should be fished with a 13-15 pound drag setting.

One more note. Don't start bouncing the weight after you have raised the weight. You will hear the dreaded firecracker sound and be holding two pieces. Just do a slow controlled lift and slowly let it down.

9. SkeeterRonnie

lol... MR BILL!!! I have aquired A.D.D. slowly and easily is not an option.. FAST and Furious for the RUSH!!! LOL! I slowly lifted and told Carol to stand back as I actually thought it was gonna pop... I havent experienced the POP yet, and was subconciously wanting it to happen so I knew what to expect... (plus I would have a good reason to tell her I needed a new rod and could get a stronger one...lol) The above rod will make a good kingfish or snapper rod, small YFT. I wouldnt want to fight a monster on it, and would probably cut the line if one got on to save the rest of the head boat the misery of me fighting it for 3 hours....

10. SkeeterRonnie

it is truly a 40# rod(as advertised), and shouldnt be fished with more than 1/3 of 40#.... I was just "hoping" it was under rated on line class...... realistically I should have 12.122 pounds of drag at strike and be fishing 40# line on it. So I will do 60# line at 15#strike(and that will be pushing it).

11. SkeeterRonnie

theres no reason it still shouldnt handle any of these fish though.....

[​IMG]

12. reelwinder1

reelwinder1 Junior member

SkitterRonnie ... First, i guess i should thank you for trying to break the rod i built you .... i had someone write and ask me to build them some rods, they told me they first found me on this forum .... so i thought i'd check it out ... I see you had a little help with the 25 % rule of thumb on dead lifting weight on a rod ... thanks mr. bill ... i have to say i am really impressed with the knowledge of the guys on this forum ..... soooo much better then some of the forums i spend time on .. So .... Ronnie "the tackle tester", If you will drop me a line, i will send you one of the new jigging rods we are building to test for a few weeks, just as soon as we get back from using them up in Homer the end of this month .. I know you will put it thru it's paces ... but ... please .... do it on fish and not on some weights in the back yard .. i'd feel a lot better about that ...
    Ron
    BaR-BaR Tackle

13. SkeeterRonnie

Snagged, or Tom would be a better choice to send for testing- I wont be back on the salt for quite awhile.... I think theres a few of these guys going out of either Port A, or Venice (LA) for some tuna around the 20th.....

I have quite a few weights, and a forklift I can bench test them on though... HEHE!!! I get lucky every now and then- and get a chance to go offshore... I spoke to the wife about this, and we will be going on a 12hour trip before the end of the year.... if you can wait that long, I will test it for you on some jiggin. Theres quite a few of these guys who spend a LOT of time on the water (Mr Bill, Gunsmoke)- i would be afraid to let Gunsmoke test it- he seems to think a drift anchor is a good test on rods!! :)

14. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

Welcome to the board reelwinder1. Glad to have you aboard Ron...

15. reelwinder1

thank you .. happy to be here
    Ron

16. reelwinder1

SkitterRonnie
    thanks for the info .. as soon as i get back from my trip ... maybe you could help me find some one to try these rods out ... you never have too much information to work with .. thanks .. and i think i'll pass on the forklift test

17. SkeeterRonnie

its a good test.. really!! hehe.. Theres plenty of salt experience here to give your product a good test!! SOme of these retired folks spend more time fishing, then I do working!!! LOL!!

18. Armbreaker Custom Rods

Armbreaker Custom Rods Site Sponsor

no line should touch the blank,,it if does,the guides were not placed properly,and the rod is pretty much a fast built piece of garbage if you want the reel thruth!

19. SkeeterRonnie

no line should touch the blank,,it if does,the guides were not placed properly,and the rod is pretty much a fast built piece of garbage if you want the reel thruth!

play nice now. I overloaded the rod. Both You, and Bar Bar make excellent products.

20. gman

gman Senior Member

don't hold back tell us how you really feel ha ha LOL I would however like to tell you that you make some beautiful looking rods. I havent had teh pleasure of trying one but they are great looking

21. BIGFISH4YOU

BIGFISH4YOU Guest

I WANT TO SAY FIRST HAND THAT NOT ONLY IS RON A GREAT GUY BUT HE BUILDS THE FINEST RODS I HAVE EVER FISHED WITH..WE HAVE THEM ON THE CHARTER BOATS HERE IN ALASKA AND HAVE PUT THEM THROUGH THE RINGER NEXT TO SOME OF THE FINEST JAPANESE JIGGING RODS THAT COST A LOT MORE...THEY ARE LIGHT AND TOUGH.. RON GOES THE EXTRA MILE FOR HIS CUSTOMERS AND IS ALWAYS OPEN FOR INPUT, AND IN THIS BUISNESS THATS GETTING HARDER TO FIND...THANKS JIM BoneYard Baits - Death Wish For Fish !