Bananas are bad luck

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by SAND, Sep 29, 2009.

1. SAND

SAND Member

Yesterday I fished with Point Loma out of SD and for the first time no one allowed to bring bananas onto the boat :)

Well, I guess this is a good news for those who believe in banana curse :D :D

Attached Files:

2. bigshellbeachbum

bigshellbeachbum Junior member

I never belived it
    ps not my photo

Attached Files:

3. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Hmmmm. Small fish.

The curse continues....

:)
    K2

4. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

Arrgghhh!!! Banana's!!!! I have had fishing trips ruined just because of someone bringing Trail Mix with Banana chips in it!!!!

5. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Too bad. Because bananas are a tasty treat and a good source of potassium which is good for the heart. And they provide energy in the form of fruit sugars which also come in handy after fighting a fish.

Ty

6. SteelingHeads

Too bad. Because bananas are a tasty treat and a good source of potassium which is good for the heart. And they provide energy in the form of fruit sugars which also come in handy after fighting a fish.

Ty

It's a proven fact that Beer does all those things too!!!

7. Billiam

Billiam Moderator

Something tells me you had a banana on you the last tuna trip we fished together :p the banana curse has to be real if it affect this many fishermen. It also dates back to the olden days when ships sailed long distances and traveled with other perishable goods. When they brought bananas on the boat it spoiled their other crops. Bananas = bad for ocean lovers.

8. Billiam

Billiam Moderator

It's a proven fact that Beer does all those things too!!!
    I second this. And doubles for dramamine.;)

9. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

When I fished the Searcher out of Cabo San Lucas years ago ( the Seacher and the Q105 sailed out of Cabo San Lucas in winter those days), the first thing I noticed was a bunch of bananas on the table.
    Consequently, we caught only a few yft for 7 days. :)

When I flied down to Texas to fish the Scat Cat 10 days ago, I found a banana in my carry-on bag which my wife put in. I was wondering how banana could spoil my trip as yft tuna has been thick at Boudreaux rig for two month and the weather forecast was fantastic. When Capt announced that we would go to Boomvang instead of Boudreaux after we did bottom fishing af Falcon rig, the first thing hit my mind was the banana on the plane.:) Banana has many different ways to spoil your trip. :)

10. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Senior Member

I always have a banana in my pocket...but then I'm just happy to see you :).

I guess the curse was from tarantulas being found in bunches of bananas being transported by ship back in the day and the spiders were considered evil.

Now, if you think a fruit on board could possibly explain why you are not catching fish, my suggestion would be to try fishing over fish instead of empty waters.

just sayin' :).

11. panamasportfishinglodge

panamasportfishinglodge Site Sponsor

Because so many Anglers believe in this , I won't even have Bananas at the lodge ,LOL

12. Billiam

Billiam Moderator

Because so many Anglers believe in this , I won't even have Bananas at the lodge ,LOL
    If u do, I think you should have a live pen with tuna, so that when the curse holds true you can sharpen ur rod tips and spear them.:D

13. Billiam

Billiam Moderator

I guess the curse was from tarantulas being found in bunches of bananas being transported by ship back in the day and the spiders were considered evil.

Now, if you think a fruit on board could possibly explain why you are not catching fish, my suggestion would be to try fishing over fish instead of empty waters.

If u have a banana in ur pocket from being happy to see male friends this curse will also prevent u from fishing.
    And haven't u ever experienced schools of fish with lock jaw. That's when u start looking for your banana on the boat.

14. SteelingHeads

LOL, I have seen some of the finest Charter Captains on the East Coast snap over finding Banana's aboard their boats! And these guys are ALWAYS on fish! Didn't you see the pic that started this thread?

15. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

LOL, I have seen some of the finest Charter Captains on the East Coast snap over finding Banana's aboard their boats! And these guys are ALWAYS on fish! Didn't you see the pic that started this thread?
    It doen't matter they are always on fish. I want I am always on fish. :)

16. johndtuttle

If u have a banana in ur pocket from being happy to see male friends this curse will also prevent u from fishing.
    And haven't u ever experienced schools of fish with lock jaw. That's when u start looking for your banana on the boat.

nope, never seen schools of fish that I could not catch :p . I have seen schools or big marks on the sounder too deep for me to fish for given the gear or lures I had though.

Fish are always eating unless they are pre-occupied with mating or being chased by bigger predators. If they are not biting what you are trying to feed them, feed them something closer to what they are feeding on.

It ain't bananas boys, its you or the fish are not simply there.:)

C'mon, use a little critical thinking and try to present a logical reason why a hidden banana on a boat prevents catching fish, seriously LOL. Do you believe in Goblins, Chupacabra and Santa Claus too?

17. johndtuttle

I think alot of numskull idiots are superstitious for no reason in total truth.

18. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

:D :D :D
    LMAO!

19. panamasportfishinglodge

panamasportfishinglodge Site Sponsor

If u do, I think you should have a live pen with tuna, so that when the curse holds true you can sharpen ur rod tips and spear them.:D

well how else do you think we get all those fishes all the time ? LOL

20. Bret

Bret Senior Member

one of the main reasons bananas are considered a curse.. is they will ruin(over ripen) all fruit that is in close proximity.. there is something that bananas emit as they ripen, that will cause the rest of the fruit near it to ripen quickly and spoil faster than normal. So after a couple of trips of running out of fresh fruit early.. they forbid bananas on board.. I have seen it firsthand on some sailing trips from Galveston to Veracruz, mx... As far as ruining the fishing part.. its all superstition..