Baja Special 113HN

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by asian fhb, Jan 28, 2009.

1. asian fhb

asian fhb Senior Member

Went to Bass pro to pick up the saltist reel and found the Baja Special for $100. What is everyones toughts about that reel for jiggin?

2. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Dude, stick with your saltist for jigging...

3. papio

papio Senior Member

Get both, or get a Saltiga 40 4.91 gear ratio and be set for life.

4. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

man that was a fast pick up!WEre u posting from basspro?The saltist is a workhorse.cant go wrong

5. asian fhb

asian fhb Senior Member

man that was a fast pick up!WEre u posting from basspro?The saltist is a workhorse.cant go wrong

Bass pro is like 5 mins form work

6. TBaker

TBaker Senior Member

I'm getting a Baja Special delivered by the end of the week (not for $100, though :( ). Will try it out on some LARGE AJs in NC in March. Looks to be an interesting reel. Not sure why it gets put down sometimes. I can tell you Alantani (a reel man of some reknown around here) certainly likes it. Here's a post he made elsewhere describing it in detail:

penn 113hn baja special rebuild - Pierandsurf.com

In fact, it was this thread that really sold me on the reel. Heavier (29 oz.) than the Saltist, but about the same weight as a Trini 40N. And it sure looks like its got the guts and drag to handle some large fish. I have an old 6/0 Senator and that thing is built like a tank (in fact, Bret, my son, caught his biggest tuna, a 150 lb. bluefin, on it ). Not as flashy as the Shimano Trinis or Daiwas, but doesn't have the price tag, either. I'll certainly try to put it to the test in March, but I have pretty high hopes. :)

7. asian fhb

asian fhb Senior Member

I'm getting a Baja Special delivered by the end of the week (not for $100, though :( ). Will try it out on some LARGE AJs in NC in March. Looks to be an interesting reel. Not sure why it gets put down sometimes. I can tell you Alantani (a reel man of some reknown around here) certainly likes it. Here's a post he made elsewhere describing it in detail:

penn 113hn baja special rebuild - Pierandsurf.com

In fact, it was this thread that really sold me on the reel. Heavier (29 oz.) than the Saltist, but about the same weight as a Trini 40N. And it sure looks like its got the guts and drag to handle some large fish. I have an old 6/0 Senator and that thing is built like a tank (in fact, Bret, my son, caught his biggest tuna, a 150 lb. bluefin, on it ). Not as flashy as the Shimano Trinis or Daiwas, but doesn't have the price tag, either. I'll certainly try to put it to the test in March, but I have pretty high hopes. :)

Its more like a back up reel but for the money..... out of the box with 27 or 28lbs of drag ..... ill take it ill just have to reel faster.

8. hstsw

hstsw Senior Member

Saltist reel are good reel for the price

9. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

If I saw a Baja 113N for a $100 I'd buy it. Needed or not.
    $149 is the best store discount price I've seen.

10. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

the ratio is 4.25:1, this is good. Ocea Jigger 4000P is slower and considered a great jigging reel. Anything over 5:1 is too high IMO since you'll lose cranking power.

11. gmack

gmack Senior Member

The saltist is a good reel, but the Baja is hard to beat. I have/had both. The Baja has plenty power and more than enough speed.

Gary

12. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

100 dollar baja is a steal.i would buy it just because.

13. tdwcapt

tdwcapt Guest

Which BPS did you find this reel at? I have a Baja Special that I've been fishing for almost 3 years now. The thing is a work horse. Gets 28lbs of drag out of the box. It has true Senator blood lines! Definately bullet proof.

I work offshore in the Gulf of Mexico and have put about 500 days on the water in the last 2.5 years. So I get a lot of time to fish. I needed a reel that wouldn't break the bank and doesn't need to be fine tuned after each fish. Also, since I can't get to a tackle shop after every trip, I needed bullet proof tackle. The Baja Special fits the bill perfectly.

That reel is a steal for $100.

14. asian fhb

asian fhb Senior Member

Which BPS did you find this reel at? I have a Baja Special that I've been fishing for almost 3 years now. The thing is a work horse. Gets 28lbs of drag out of the box. It has true Senator blood lines! Definately bullet proof.

I work offshore in the Gulf of Mexico and have put about 500 days on the water in the last 2.5 years. So I get a lot of time to fish. I needed a reel that wouldn't break the bank and doesn't need to be fine tuned after each fish. Also, since I can't get to a tackle shop after every trip, I needed bullet proof tackle. The Baja Special fits the bill perfectly.

That reel is a steal for $100.
    m
    When I went to the Hampton va bps they had them on clearence for 119. There was two I got one and a buddy of mine got the last one.