Bait Cannon

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by Cabanaboy, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Cabanaboy

Cabanaboy Senior Member Fish Killer

IMG_4076.JPG It has been kind of slow around the shop for the pass couple of days so I made a bait cannon. It hasn't been tested as of today but I plan to test it on Saturday. Let me know what you think.

2. cactusfishman

cactusfishman Senior Member

You need to post a video of this in action! Is it for live bait or lures? I've seen the So Cal fleet use bait cannons that use a stream of water.

3. Cabanaboy

I'm going to test it tomorrow at Eagle Mountain Lake. I see if I can get someone to video it while I do the test. The barrel in 1.5" PVC so I have frozen three pieces of 1.5" pvc full of water which should be ice by tomorrow. I have tied a small bolt to a piece of 80# mono so I can tie the ice bullet to my spinning reel with metered line. I'm hoping to get 300 yards out of it. It should be great for fishing from the jetties or the beach. I will also make a 2" barrel for it as well. Maybe that would work for poppers. The other morning I pumped it up to 90# and used a wet paper towel as a wad and filled the barrel with water. The water blasted out into a mist. I am wondering if a live bait would survive the blast. I think that I could pre-freeze a mullet, cigar minnow or squid with a weight and hook and launch the sucker way out there.

4. Cabanaboy

Ok i tested the bait cannon on Saturday. I had three ice bullets and a sack of taters and a sack of Key limes. On the first test with a ice bullet we pressured the cannon to 110psi and it made ice crystals out of the ice bullet. Fail. On the second try the wind was out of the south, the cannon and rod pointed east, we dropped down to 60psi but the line got caught on one of the eyelets on the rod. Fail. On the third try we re-positioned the set up and pressured up to 60psi again and boom 300 ft. not bad. More testing to come.Then we spent the rest of the time blasting taters and limes. We estimated 1000 ft on 90psi. We had a blast.

lite-liner likes this.
  5. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

That is how many of the guys with cannons do it.
    In practice, it works ok/well on a beach with little current.
    If you have a cross current or an incoming swell, that is when
    there are issues.
    Even in warm water, it takes 5+ minutes for the ice bait bullet
    to melt enough to release the sinker and bait,
    during that time your ice bullet has drifted a considerable
    distance down the beach, that now your fishing on an bad angle.

Battery RC boat with either servo to dump the bait,
    or a simple out rigger release clip to pop the rig out with the rod.
    They make RC boats for fresh water with a bait dumping platform.
    You seem handy enough to rig up your own if you wanted.

Takes up less space than the cannon, no drifting ice bullets,
    and you can use fresh bait, and also not have to worry about
    keeping your bait bullet supply frozen at the beach,
    or stocked in the freezer at home.
    Would also work with lures.

Then have your buddy use the cannon to shoot limes
    at boat as you're driving it back in ;)

Cabanaboy likes this.
  6. Cabanaboy

I am planning on using heavy weight in the ice bullet and it will be at the end of the bullet. The ice melted really fast at the lake even with the water at 60 degrees. I'm also going to try it with poppers. But shooting limes was fun too.

7. cactusfishman

cactusfishman Senior Member

Sounds like you are on track with your new fishn' toy !

8. DenisB

DenisB Senior Member

Bait cannons are oldschool now
    The Go To are drones fitted with an electromagnet coupling & remote control release.
    Distance is as much line as you have on your reel if you insist.........and they are less bulk to lug around with infinite user friendliness.