Bail-less spinning reel

Discussion in 'Reels' started by Minnow, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

My new toys.

Attached Files:

2. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

Do you have greenies too.........
    I have 4 of those :D

3. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

yes, it was one of my favorite reel for king mack fishing from AL and FL piers.

4. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

TJ, do you measured the ZB spool shaft on the full body shaft or on the cut side ?
    It's look like that caliper on the Stella is on the edge of the full body spool shaft and the ZB on the cut side of the spool shaft body.
    Or just my eyes.:rolleyes:

5. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Spool shaft, both reel are measured from almost identical spot.

The Stella has ticker stainless steel shaft and the ZeeBaas has bronze, only time will tells.

6. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

Are you sure ZB shaft from bronze or look like bronze color ?
    I know on all my Van Staal spool shaft is from stainless steel with titanium coating. (it's look like bronze color)

7. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

I am not sure what material is the shaft, it looks like bronze ( bronze color)

8. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

Can't wait for the offshore series.
    I just got the Stella SW20000PG this week, I will give it other try for Stella. Weight and solid issue.
    If I still don't like it, I will sell all my Stella and moved to ZB.;)

9. seahunter

seahunter Member

UH oh
    Didn't think VS break...................

Attached Files:

10. Reaux

Reaux Junior member

Spool shaft, both reel are measured from almost identical spot.

The Stella has ticker stainless steel shaft and the ZeeBaas has bronze, only time will tells.

From the ZB site.
    "Hardened Stainless Pinion mounted directly through the main bearing onto the hardened stainless rotor spindle.

316 stainless rotor spindle hardened to 70 Rc.

Oversize titanium main shaft Ti Coated to 90 Rc and mirror polished, connected to the main drag plate using the Dutchman pin principle."

Now whether the main shaft is totally titanium or hardened stainless with a titanium coating I'm not sure of - but it certainly isn't bronze.

Here is a nice write up on the ZB. ICAST 2008 ZeeBaas ZX2 saltwater spinning reel

However in that write up I take some issue with this:
    "Inside the drag ZeeBaaS uses two sealed plates in the spool which are combined with specially developed woven, carbon-fiber materials. The main drag plate is made form lightweight metal finished in a hard ceramic composite surface. This is the same technology used in the Porsche 911 ceramic brake upgrade. The result is a high performance linear drag which generates 25lbs on the ZX20 and 40lbs on the ZX27."

Now I don't know what they mean by linear drag I find it to be more progressive. Last evening I tested the drag on a 'virgin' 2.75. Here are the parameters.

A Shimano drag scale was attached to the gate of a fence at a height of 34". Line PE 5 (78 lbs.) tied at the end with a seven turn surgeons loop knot - swivel attached via a swivel knot - 80 lb. mono attached to swivel and drag scale by clinch knots. Here are my results - rod never raised higher than 45 degrees.

This is back yard science but it can be repeated by anyone with a drag scale. Thirty or more line inches of line was pulled on all tests. Tape was applied to the drag disk to ensure that one complete turn was made per pull.

Start = 1 lb. Before drag engages
    1 Complete turn = 5 lbs.
    1 Complete turn = 9 lbs.
    1 Complete turn = 11 lbs.
    1 Complete turn = 15 lbs. (Clinch knot breaks)
    1 Complete turn = 39 lbs. (Straight pull)
    Back off 1/2 turn = 16 lbs. (Both straight pull and with rod bent, same)
    Add 1/4 turn = 18 lbs. (Both straight pull and with rod bent, same)
    Add 1/4 turn = 40 1/2 lbs. (Straight pull main line breaks just above knot)

As stated this spool has not been broken in so results may change. But, I did learn that I better tie better knots and that at high drag settings (with this spool, as is) one has 1/4 quarter turn to make adjustments of drag settings between 18 lbs. and 40 lbs.

Learn something new every day. Will have to run this test again to see if I can duplicate the results and also test the other three spools in the series.

Hope this is some use.

Reaux

11. moiman

moiman Junior member

HOLY CHIT!! Is that a new vs model?

12. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i cannot wait to feel this reel next week :)