Bail less kit

Discussion in 'Reels' started by CSRen, Feb 7, 2009.

1. CSRen

CSRen Senior Member

The advantage using bail less kit???

2. d-a

d-a Senior Member

for casting you dont have to worry about the bail closing prematurely while casting. I dont see the need in one personally

d-a

3. ember

ember Guest

Its much more convenient if you will be repeatedly casting,not having to open and close the bail,in addition to never having the bail slam shut mid cast.On the flip side, I can only imagine how ugly it would be to hook up on a decent fish with the braid not yet back on the roller.

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Don't use bailess spinning reel for jigging.
    The reel hit my head twice when line came off while jigging with a bailess spinning reel.

5. rtran

rtran Senior Member

6. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

bailless works for surf casters. The reason Van Staal designed their was because the old PENN 706 reels were notorious for the bail closing. Basically its good for casting plugs when on rocky jetty or surf swimming.

But

Bad for jigging.
    Think.... You see the blitz in the far away horizon... 120 yards away the birds are diving... As you hold your new Tuna Sniper rod the adrenaline starts to flow and you check your komodo popper to see if its ready...As you take the braid off the "bailess bail" you decide to cast to the boil and hook a trophy YFT...

As your popper hits the surface you time the landing incorrectly because of wind..before you can re-line the spool a giant swallows the hooks as you start the process to put braid onto your roller....

Next thing you look at is your braid whipping tension through the rod and on your fingers... you feel that burn in your fingers as do you feel the reels handle hit your face followed by a few snaps and realize that the PE8 wrapped itself on one of the guides and cracked the glue...

not only did you lose your fingers but now you realize that bailess should only be used for surfcasters on Montauk and the 80 dollar conversion kit you purchased just ruined your day...

if it makes a difference, i owned a van staal 150 bailess

7. CSRen

CSRen Senior Member

Thanks 4 d info guys,

Sa bail less kit application it's only 4 casting n not 4 jigging, right?
    I'm wondering 4 jigging which 1 more prefer saragosa 14000 or 18000?

Cheers,

Jeff

8. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Thanks 4 d info guys,

Sa bail less kit application it's only 4 casting n not 4 jigging, right?
    I'm wondering 4 jigging which 1 more prefer saragosa 14000 or 18000?

Cheers,

Jeff

18000 my friend.
    Take the correct route on this
    With popping you typically want to have a higher gear ratio. The gosa is great. The 18000 has the proper line volume if you are targeting yft.

Where are u located? If in nj, I'm not sure how much popping you be able to see in a season...

9. ember

ember Guest

I think they are the same body,with a different spool.The 14 will hold the all braid you will ever need,if your going with heavy mono,the 18 might be better choice.

10. CSRen

CSRen Senior Member

18000 my friend.
    Take the correct route on this
    With popping you typically want to have a higher gear ratio. The gosa is great. The 18000 has the proper line volume if you are targeting yft.

Where are u located? If in nj, I'm not sure how much popping you be able to see in a season...

Thanks 4 d info guys,

I think I'll take the 18000, with more line volume 4 fighting the biggies.
    How much pe 6 can it hold? If I use varivas pe tuna.
    About my location in Indonesia.

Cheers,

Jeff