Baha Special vs. Saltist STT40

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Chumlord, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Chumlord

Chumlord Member

Other than size pros and cons???

2. markm

markm Member

The baja special has better gearing and the anti reverse is much more beefy. I have both and the BS is heavier but more comfortable for me to use.

3. asian fhb

asian fhb Senior Member

Hey Lou i got one, you can use it this weekend if you want. On the Asian FHB custom "Murder rod"

4. tdwcapt

tdwcapt Guest

I may piss off some of the sponsors here. But I'm gonna chime in on this. A couple years back I bought a Baja Special as a back-up to my customized Newell 533. Now just so you know, I'm not the guy who makes a couple trips a year and posts a thousand times about it. I work offshore in the Gulf of Mexico on crewboats. And as a result I get a lot of time at the rigs. For example, on my last 28 day hitch, I spent a total of 4 full days at the dock. See what I mean?

My tackle is not outrageously expensive. I don't buy $350+ reels and the latest fancy jigging tackle. Although that's not to say I wouldn't want an OTI and a Shimano Trinidad 40N! I just can't afford that kind of tackle right now. I do have some custom rods that are going on 15 years old and still taking lots of big nasty fish.

So I need tackle that doesn't fail. I do a tremendous amount of jigging, both deep for groupers, AJs, cobia and snappers as well as speed jigging for kings, wahoo and dolphin.

In the beginning I started with the Newell, but quickly found it uncomfortable to fish with day in and day out. So one day I pulled my new Baja Special out of the box and loaded it 3/4 full with 65lb Spectra and topped it off with 40lb mono.

I've caught more fish with that reel, than any other in my arsenal now, including a 70lb wahoo, 55lb cobia and untold numbers of snapper and kingfish. That reel gets 28lbs of drag out of the box, is fast enough, has excellent cranking power and is comfortable to use because of the comfortable handle and the narrow spool. There's simply no need for me to buy a Trini40N when this reel gets it done just as well for half the price.

Day in and day out, the Baja Special is hands down a go-to reel that is bullet proof. What absolutely kills me is that for years guys have been putting the mods on stock 4/0's to make them yellowtail specials and when Penn finally steps up to the plate and starts mass producing it, they discontinue it! Grr.

Just my .02. BTW I spent about 500 days offshore in the past two years since I got that Baja Special and I'm still on the original set of drag washers.

5. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Is it possible to speed jig with it for snapper, grouper and ajs?

6. tdwcapt

tdwcapt Guest

Is it possible to speed jig with it for snapper, grouper and ajs?

Last month I was tied up to a rig offshore and couldn't get the jig past the snappers to try and catch an AJ or a grouper. After about 30 snappers up to 20lbs (all released), I had to hang it up cuz I couldn't wind any more! No BS!

Actually many bottom fish hit when the jig is falling, so speed isn't an issue. However speed isn't a problem either. It's plenty fast. If I can fish it for wahoo and kings, it's plenty fast for bottom fish.

7. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

I'm not worried about speed as much as I am worried about bulk compared to say a Torium, Saltist or even Torque.

8. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Last month I was tied up to a rig offshore and couldn't get the jig past the snappers to try and catch an AJ or a grouper. After about 30 snappers up to 20lbs (all released), I had to hang it up cuz I couldn't wind any more! No BS!

Actually many bottom fish hit when the jig is falling, so speed isn't an issue. However speed isn't a problem either. It's plenty fast. If I can fish it for wahoo and kings, it's plenty fast for bottom fish.

What jig were you using?

9. tdwcapt

tdwcapt Guest

I'm not worried about speed as much as I am worried about bulk compared to say a Torium, Saltist or even Torque.

Look. There are more comfortable reels out there. A Trini or Torium 20 is probably one of the most comfortable sized reel there is. But so is a Zebco 33. If you talk about bulk, the Torium is far bulkier because it is a heavy reel with a wide spool. I am a narrow spool fanatic. I loathe wide spools.

For me, I am most concerned with speed and cranking power. There must be a balance between the two. A Torium 20 or 30 is a fast reel. But good luck getting the handle turned on a 50lb AJ before you're in the rig, or worse you wind the wahoo to the boat only to have it spit the jig back at you because you didn't have enough cranking power in the reel to wind through the bite!

I never set the hook with the rod. No matter what iron I'm using I always wind right through the bite until the fish is taking line - the way they teach you on the west coast. This is why cranking power is important.

Sure you need speed to entice the bite or catch up to a fish that is running towards you. But blunt force cranking power puts fish in the boat. And on that note, I also fight fish as if I don't care if I lose them. This is another reason I love the Baja Special. I have literally abused that reel. On the 70lb wahoo I caught, after the first run was over, I layed the rod down on the rail, with the drag at about 20lbs (maybe a little better at half spool!) and just used the rail, west coast style!

10. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Are you familiar with the Daiwa Sea line 350? Is the Baja special roughly the same size because it is very akward to speed jig with it due to the bulkyness of the reel nothing else. It just isn't a low profile compact reel. I am not talking about raw speed, I am just talking about the motion of the speed jigging. I traded my Torium in for a Saltist, roughly the same size as the Torium but slower retrieve but I still jig like the Shimano video shows to jig, not the yo - yo style.

11. tdwcapt

tdwcapt Guest

Are you familiar with the Daiwa Sea line 350? Is the Baja special roughly the same size because it is very akward to speed jig with it due to the bulkyness of the reel nothing else. It just isn't a low profile compact reel. I am not talking about raw speed, I am just talking about the motion of the speed jigging. I traded my Torium in for a Saltist, roughly the same size as the Torium but slower retrieve but I still jig like the Shimano video shows to jig, not the yo - yo style.

I have a Sealine 30SHV that is a bad-azz little reel for bait fishing, but I'd rather rack it for fishing the iron because of the width. It is a very uncomfortable reel for jig fishing. The handle is awkward and the wide spool allows for way too much wobble in the jigging motion. That will wear you out quick. This is one reason why I like narrow reels.

This might sound like it's coming out of left field, but you might want to take a look at the Shimano Trinidad 16n (narrow). It has the same gearing as the Trini 20 and you'll get plenty of 65lb on it. And you'll have a little better cranking power because the spool is narrow and you don't have to worry about laying the line across a wide spool. Also, the reel frame is going to be a little stiffer too. If you are looking at fishing anything heavier, you might want to look at a Torque.

The Baja Special is not a low profile kind of reel that will fit in the palm of your hand and fish like a 16vsx. And it's probably not the best reel for butterfly jigging. It wasn't designed for that use. The Baja Special was an attempt (and a dang good one!) by Penn to tap into the yellowtail special market.

You may also want to look at some of the Avets. The JX with the fast retrieve is a jigging animal.

12. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

I don't like the Trinidad because they have the exact insides as the Torium which I blew up 3 times in 5 trips. I am actually leaning towards a Torque 200 for butterfly jigging. I hear it is a tad heavier than what I am used to but i just want it to hold up and I hear they have a double dog backup to the anti reverse bearing.

13. tdwcapt

tdwcapt Guest

I don't like the Trinidad because they have the exact insides as the Torium which I blew up 3 times in 5 trips. I am actually leaning towards a Torque 200 for butterfly jigging. I hear it is a tad heavier than what I am used to but i just want it to hold up and I hear they have a double dog backup to the anti reverse bearing.

Have you also taken a look at the Saltiga? They have a narrow spool reel. I think it's the 20T (but don't quote me). Looks like it would be a really good jigging reel. I've only fondled a Torque 200 once. Never used it.

14. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

The only reel in its price class I know of with a double dog gear is the Torque. As you well know it takes brute strength to keep a grouper or aj from wrecking or rocking you that is why I am looking at the Torque. I am used to using a Torium/ Saltist so the wide spool isn't a major issue with me. The Saltiga is about 100 bucks more than the Torque.

15. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Baja Special is great reel for the money. The reel is strong enough, enough line capacity, enough max drag and pretty smooth drag.
    But I prefer 3/0 size reel to 4/0 size reel because casting is a big part of my jigging style and 4/0 size reels are a littly bulky for long hour jigging. For the same reason, I prefer Saltiga 40 to OJ 4000P which many jig fishermen love.

I tested Penn Torque 200 exclusively during Three King Islands, NZ trip two years ago. The reel performed beautifully. The reel is very heavy for its size (2/0 size) and I could get only upto 20 lbs drag contrary to Penns' claim.
    Some people like fast gear ratio for jigging, but I am not one of them. If a reel has over 6:1 gear ratio, it loses cranking power. I wish they make 4.5: 1 gear ratio of Torgue.
    The length of Torgue handle is pretty short and fixed. Some like short length handle, but some likes longer power handle.
    See how many jig fishermen like long powerful 4000P handle.

16. Tunanorth

Tunanorth Senior Member

KSong,
    If you were only able to get 20 pounds max drag out of a TRQ200, chances are that the Versa-Drag washers were configured to "medium".
    Theoretically they leave the factory at "heavy", but I have heard of this happening before, and occasionally they are even on "light". Fortunately, it's not a difficult operation to re-configure them.
    I also agree with you on the TRQ200 "stock" handle.
    What I do on my 200's is switch out for the handle off the TRQ300/Baja special [same one].
    Not sure which aftermarket handles will fit correctly.
    Another thing to do with the TRQ200 when using 65 or 80 pound braid and high drag settings is switch out the stock plastic rod clamp for the metal one off a Penn 16VSX, it really adds a lot of stability.
    I can easily get 400 yards of 65-pound solid braid on my TRQ200, again not sure how that would translate to 80 pound.
    I've caught lots of albacore, yellowtail [kingfish], amberjack, striped marlin [to 175 pounds], bluefin tuna, yellowfin tuna [to 90 pounds], wahoo [to 70 pounds], you name it on my TRQ200's.
    Of course I like my little TRQ100's for the lighter weight, but the 200's would get the nod if I was required to fish with only one reel from now on.

Disclaimer- Penn Pro Staffer

17. d-a

d-a Senior Member

KSong,
    If you were only able to get 20 pounds max drag out of a TRQ200, chances are that the Versa-Drag washers were configured to "medium".
    Theoretically they leave the factory at "heavy", but I have heard of this happening before, and occasionally they are even on "light". Fortunately, it's not a difficult operation to re-configure them.
    I also agree with you on the TRQ200 "stock" handle.
    What I do on my 200's is switch out for the handle off the TRQ300/Baja special [same one].
    Not sure which aftermarket handles will fit correctly.
    Another thing to do with the TRQ200 when using 65 or 80 pound braid and high drag settings is switch out the stock plastic rod clamp for the metal one off a Penn 16VSX, it really adds a lot of stability.
    I can easily get 400 yards of 65-pound solid braid on my TRQ200, again not sure how that would translate to 80 pound.
    I've caught lots of albacore, yellowtail [kingfish], amberjack, striped marlin [to 175 pounds], bluefin tuna, yellowfin tuna [to 90 pounds], wahoo [to 70 pounds], you name it on my TRQ200's.
    Of course I like my little TRQ100's for the lighter weight, but the 200's would get the nod if I was required to fish with only one reel from now on.

The Torque's are nice......

And Heavy.

There too heavy for all day jigging(IMO) and i was always a Penn Man.

d-a

18. Tunanorth

Tunanorth Senior Member

No doubt the weight is a bit more than other comparable size models, but it is purposeful.
    Every part is overbuilt as much as possible, including "double-wide" stainless gears, which give more cranking power at the high gear ratios, but are of course heavier.
    As a long-time California "iron man", we are perhaps less sensitive to weight differences, although at 55 years old [and no steroids ever, ha-ha], I can hardly be accused of a strength advantage.
    I think it's as simple as the fact that most "speed-jigging" rods seem light as a feather compared to our most common old-school "jig sticks", which in some cases are as much as 10 feet long.
    The bigger TRQ300 is my preferred choice when casting "wahoo bombs" or large "surface iron" to those big Cedros Island yellowtail, and it does get heavy during a long day.
    However, both of those styles of fishing are more opportunistic, so that picking and choosing the time to deploy allows you to have the nice advantage of even more cranking power and line capacity.
    On just about any "new school" jigging rods [I use the Penn Torque TJ5010C66 or TJ8013C58], the TRQ200 feels quite pleasant.
    I do note with interest the growing popularity of some of our favorite jig-fishing actions like 700M, 700H, 800M and others are being used for specific applications in other areas.