360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sad to read Fathom's report and one of his expensive rods broke due to air travel inspections. How does insurance cover the expense of rods or is there additional travel insurance you can purchase?

Thanks, Scott

·
2,924 Posts
The airlines will cover almost all of it if they break it and AMEX will also if you used your card to purchase it

·
804 Posts
It's too bad that Rod tubes look so much like a giant pipe bomb, every time I fly with rods, I can tell they have been removed then forced back in the tube. Now, I ship my equipment a week or so before I arrive. The Hotels and Villas rental offices, are always glad to put them aside tell you get there.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
I always put rods 6 9 position in the rod case. There were reports many rod case were broken by security just after 9 -11 when they couldn't open rod case to check inside. they now just scan the rod case and try to open the case only they see unusual things inside. So it is a good idea to tape around the opening instead o using a lock so that they can open it without damaging rod cases.

·
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's too bad that Rod tubes look so much like a giant pipe bomb, every time I fly with rods, I can tell they have been removed then forced back in the tube. Now, I ship my equipment a week or so before I arrive. The Hotels and Villas rental offices, are always glad to put them aside tell you get there.

:eek: I think I will pack it with my underwear. That will scare them.:D

·
68 Posts
LOL you packin a 2" rod!?!?!??!
I think i would just make sure that it's in a easily opened case or get a CLEAR tube to put it in.

·
1,553 Posts
LOL you packin a 2" rod!?!?!??!
I think i would just make sure that it's in a easily opened case or get a CLEAR tube to put it in.
LMAO!!!!
scott, you know thats funny!

·
804 Posts
I'm telling you, sometimes it is cheaper to Fed-ex your equipment than to pay the excess baggage fees. Don't have to jockey through the airport, and it can be tracked via internet. I won't fly to the Caribbean again with my rods.

·
223 Posts
I don't think the airlines cover damages. I've never had a problem, but I noticed they have a lot of disclaimers for damage to "sports equipment".

Shipping ahead is a good idea, but I don't know about cheaper, especially if you have a long tube for 8' rods. I was gonna ship some rods one time, but it was gonna be $30 each way. NWA charges $15, plus, my tackle box and a small duffle with "fishing gear" is included all as a single item of luggage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts