baggage/rod insurance

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Bellyups, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

I was sad to read Fathom's report and one of his expensive rods broke due to air travel inspections. How does insurance cover the expense of rods or is there additional travel insurance you can purchase?

Thanks, Scott

2. moonsoft

moonsoft Member

OMG the airlins ruined a rod!?!?!?! can you link this?
    I would be pissed!!!!!!

3. gman

gman Senior Member

The airlines will cover almost all of it if they break it and AMEX will also if you used your card to purchase it

4. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

It's too bad that Rod tubes look so much like a giant pipe bomb, every time I fly with rods, I can tell they have been removed then forced back in the tube. Now, I ship my equipment a week or so before I arrive. The Hotels and Villas rental offices, are always glad to put them aside tell you get there.

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I always put rods 6 9 position in the rod case. There were reports many rod case were broken by security just after 9 -11 when they couldn't open rod case to check inside. they now just scan the rod case and try to open the case only they see unusual things inside. So it is a good idea to tape around the opening instead o using a lock so that they can open it without damaging rod cases.

6. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

It's too bad that Rod tubes look so much like a giant pipe bomb, every time I fly with rods, I can tell they have been removed then forced back in the tube. Now, I ship my equipment a week or so before I arrive. The Hotels and Villas rental offices, are always glad to put them aside tell you get there.

:eek: I think I will pack it with my underwear. That will scare them.:D

7. moonsoft

moonsoft Member

LOL you packin a 2" rod!?!?!??!
    I think i would just make sure that it's in a easily opened case or get a CLEAR tube to put it in.

8. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

LOL you packin a 2" rod!?!?!??!
    I think i would just make sure that it's in a easily opened case or get a CLEAR tube to put it in.
    LMAO!!!!
    scott, you know thats funny!

9. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

I'm telling you, sometimes it is cheaper to Fed-ex your equipment than to pay the excess baggage fees. Don't have to jockey through the airport, and it can be tracked via internet. I won't fly to the Caribbean again with my rods.

10. Iliveoutside

Iliveoutside Senior Member

I don't think the airlines cover damages. I've never had a problem, but I noticed they have a lot of disclaimers for damage to "sports equipment".

Shipping ahead is a good idea, but I don't know about cheaper, especially if you have a long tube for 8' rods. I was gonna ship some rods one time, but it was gonna be $30 each way. NWA charges $15, plus, my tackle box and a small duffle with "fishing gear" is included all as a single item of luggage.