360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

Bad Tuna Gaffing

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  MrBill 
#1 ·
Somehow, I have a problem with poor gaffing. As stated here many times, I always gaff the head of the fish. It saves meat, and gives you control of the fish. A gaff placed in the middle of the fish ruins the meat and the fish has control of you. I just found a commerical device that might work on the Big E which is notorious for loin gaffing. I realize the deckhands are high off the water and so on and so on. Do you think this might work on a head boat. If so, I'll buy it.

The device slides over the fishing line when the fish is ready to be boarded. A rope is attacthed to the device. Once it is lowered it comforms to the tuna's head and the six gaffing hooks grab onto the tuna's head. Commercial tuna fisherman use this device as they can't sell a tuna with body gaffs at the market.

Attachments

See less See more
Discussion starter · #2 ·
Here is another tuna device used by commercial fisherman.

Brain Crusher

Only the highest grades of tuna are used by the Japanese for Sashimi and only the highest quality tuna return high prices to the fisherman. In order to assure that tuna is of the highest quality possible, both the tuna’s brain and spinal column should be crushed as soon as they are aboard the vessel. First the Brain Crusher tool is used to destroy the brain and make a hole in the tuna’s head which gives access to the spinal column. A piece of metal wire or monofilament is inserted into the spinal column and pushed through the center of the spinal column through its entire length. This should be left in place so that buyers are aware that this process has been performed. This process completely kills all activity of the fish’s nervous system. The fish is then bled thoroughly by making a small cut behind the lateral fin. This process should be followed, even if the fish’s head is removed prior to icing.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Tuna Mouse Traps

Constructed using Gamakatsu Saltwater Hooks, American Fishing Wire 49 Strand 400T wire and a Rosco swivel. This is the ideal way to hide a wire leader in a dead bait and still not have it seen by the target game fish.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #8 ·
I couldn't agree more with snagged. A tight line doesn't need much abrasion to snap. But, if you lose two nice fish because of the gaffing, I think I might take a chance at the sliding gaff. Since the meat is going to be partly destroyed by loin gaffing anyway, I'll take a chance on the slider.

Could you imagine having this device placed over your head.

http://www.lindgren-pitman.com/missile.htm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.