Awfully quiet on Cape bft reports

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by AndyP, Sep 26, 2009.

1. AndyP

AndyP Member

Earlier in the week we did not see any bft on the surface or on the sounder during an entire day when the weather was clear and cool. Only a few whales within ten miles of the Race. Bluefish just chopped up lots of leaders and cut off jigs. It has gotten colder so I assume that the bft will be more active. There had been recent reports of huge surface action, so it seems a bit strange that there are no posts on catches.

2. dingoatemebaby

dingoatemebaby Senior Member

i heard of some serious bites off of Chatham this week with multiple 500-700lb fish taken on the Sword, most guys are drifting bait but some are getting strikes on the metal, goin Tuesday, we'll see what happens!

3. fishermanunh

fishermanunh Member

2 weeks ago i saw a bunch of 40-80 lb. bluefin tuna off of new york, directly south of ri where there was a lot of loligo squid, whiting and butterfish

the fish were feeding off of bycatch coming off the commercial boats (draggers)

then this past wednesday i went out with a few buddies to target giants and all we saw were the friggin' same size 'balls busting on top all morning
    the area i was in was past the isles of shoals out of NH/Maine coastline
    we covered quite a bit of water, saw these fish busting in lot's of different areas, old scantum, jeffries ledge and in between both of those locations

the bait they were feeding on looked to be 3-4 herring, i couldn't tell what species of herring but...does it matter?

so, other than that i heard a few reports of some people getting bit but we didn't see any of this, nor did we see any boats dropping off the ball,

one thing we noticed was in the morning there was 2-3 ft. seas and chop, then in the afternoon the seas diminished, flattened out, mirror-like calm
    all the surface action came to a halt

any of you guys out there have any action with any BFT, footballs, mid-size or giants?

whiting for the giants would be my pick or a live herring
    3-4" lead, tin or spoon, maybe small poppers for the footballs
    any recommendations? anyone try out the 360tackle 3.5 oz. jigs? look good, not a bad price
    i know there's a lot out there but i'm trying to get the best of the essential and don't want to waste money or time casting with leff-efficient lures...
    the butterfly jigs have a great finish, a little pricey
    kastmaster, maria jigs, the 360tackle jig, RonZ, sluggos, skankas, hogy, yo-zuri hydro popper, daiwa slider, sebile live-swimmer can you guys recommend your favorite lures for casting to tuna and imitating the forage that they feed on
    i'm a lure junkie and tackle nut like many of yourselves so, any recommendations and links to where i can scoop some up for a good price let me know, thanks guys
    mike :D

4. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

Plastics for trolling/casting: a bag of sluggos or hogys and some RonZs to fill your plastic needs (I rig my own with whatever hooks match the fish and egg sinkers glued to the head).

Topwater: Buy a couple big OTI poppers

SubSurface: In addition to the plastics, buy a few x-rap deep divers in various colors, a few big deadly dicks and some crippled herrings.

These wil give you a good selection for whatever is happening, whether you are trolling or casting.

5. turfman

turfman Member

Was up there monday with Capt Dom. Fish all around on the surface but no takers. A few good solid hits on jigs but none brought to the boat. One jig was slammed very hard and had a good bend in it.

Did land a 70" on bait though. Also reports of a 700lb giant on that day landed on bait.

Keep your fingers crossed,, better days are coming.

6. nikonfme

nikonfme Senior Member

Was out Stellwagen yesterday and very little life. We were dealing with 4 to 6's with the occasional 8 footer added. It was extreamly rough out at the BE. Kicked down later in the day though and ran into bft about 2 miles off of Sandwich. They were cruising though.........They went right back down after one cast. Know someone that hooked up 4 tuna about 2 miles off of Chatham last Tuesday on surface and jigs.

7. FullStrike

FullStrike Senior Member

Jeffreys had some action last week on SBFT. Stellwagen has been quiet for a week. The bite off Chatham on the Sword is on GBFT...leave the light tackle home.

8. Fin Addiction

Fin Addiction Site Sponsor

Bite last week was pretty good for us....You can't always have crashing fish. RONZ is the plastic of choice for subsurface...Big fan of GOT STRYPER topwater plastics and Ocean Lures.....
    Our big problem is getting out in the blows...Those fish really chew hard on the north wind!

Outer Cape Chronicles

9. nikonfme

nikonfme Senior Member

Bite last week was pretty good for us....You can't always have crashing fish. RONZ is the plastic of choice for subsurface...Big fan of GOT STRYPER topwater plastics and Ocean Lures.....
    Our big problem is getting out in the blows...Those fish really chew hard on the north wind!

Outer Cape Chronicles

nice link.........Good you tube links

10. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Don't worry. They'll become hungry and aggressive soon until they migrate south in first or second week of Nov.

11. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

Was up there monday with Capt Dom. Fish all around on the surface but no takers. A few good solid hits on jigs but none brought to the boat. One jig was slammed very hard and had a good bend in it.

Did land a 70" on bait though. Also reports of a 700lb giant on that day landed on bait.

Keep your fingers crossed,, better days are coming.

Mark, really nice meeting you and fishing with you. That surface feed was insane, too bad it was only on the slack, and we couldnt come tight during the feed. It was pretty cool to watch the several explosive boils near the lures, and the bent jig was pretty sick. You did an amazing job on that BIG fish on bait, despite the handle malfunction on the reel, you had him to the boat in under a half hour, no small feat on a 70 inch, 200 pound fish.

The bite will be on the entire month of October, and well into November, but it is a matter of weather at this point.....:mad:

I caught my last fish on November 23rd last year, and several other boats caught into December. The fishing will be insane whenever we can get out from now on, make sure you get in on it before winter takes over. This is the best bite in many years, and the fall run will be EPIC.

12. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

It might started already as one boat landed 7 giants last week.

13. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i heard all the fish off chatham were giants but there wasnt much on the bank?

14. AndyP

AndyP Member

Good information on feeds, lures, etc. I have no doubt that live and natural bait fishing will be productive for the giants, just prefer the topwater and jigging methods for the medium and large school bft. Yes, could easily get spooled on the spinning gear if a giant takes the lure so definitely need to have extra braid onboard. FWIW, topwater lures including Tattoo's lures, Sluggos, Smith Runboh's and Shibukis seem to work OK and the large Shimano yellow/silver jig seem to attract a lot of attention.

15. nikonfme

nikonfme Senior Member

Don't worry. They'll become hungry and aggressive soon until they migrate south in first or second week of Nov.

I hope they migrate south and not east. :( These puppy's are getting large and mature. Some are talking about many heading across the atlantic. I'm no expert though.

16. turfman

turfman Member

Mark, really nice meeting you and fishing with you. That surface feed was insane, too bad it was only on the slack, and we couldnt come tight during the feed. It was pretty cool to watch the several explosive boils near the lures, and the bent jig was pretty sick. You did an amazing job on that BIG fish on bait, despite the handle malfunction on the reel, you had him to the boat in under a half hour, no small feat on a 70 inch, 200 pound fish.

The bite will be on the entire month of October, and well into November, but it is a matter of weather at this point.....:mad:

I caught my last fish on November 23rd last year, and several other boats caught into December. The fishing will be insane whenever we can get out from now on, make sure you get in on it before winter takes over. This is the best bite in many years, and the fall run will be EPIC.

It felt like I fought it for about 2hrs lol,, not only did the handle fall off, but it had no more drag left, the bail and frame were comin unglued and I was reeling from the wrong side....All I know was when you told me to sink another gaff in it to help; I had nothing left in the tanks....

BTW. tore my mcl en route to one of those boils as I was hanging off the bow.. soon as I heal up.. I'll be back..

17. Riptide

Riptide Banned

Chatham was on fire last week. We went 2 for 2 on 65-70" fish on Sunday and 5 for 5 on Monday with 47-52" fish. All on topwater hardbaits. We quit fishing Monday @ 1030 so the film crew could shoot hi speed hi def footage of the tuna on halfbeaks.

This past Sunday we went 0 for 1 on PH bar in 5' seas. Not much life. On top with all the bait blown apart.

This is some low res stuff my mate shot Monday from the camera boat filming us.
    Surface Madness!!!! on Vimeo

18. nikonfme

nikonfme Senior Member

Chatham was on fire last week. We went 2 for 2 on 65-70" fish on Sunday and 5 for 5 on Monday with 47-52" fish. All on topwater hardbaits. We quit fishing Monday @ 1030 so the film crew could shoot hi speed hi def footage of the tuna on halfbeaks.

This past Sunday we went 0 for 1 on PH bar in 5' seas. Not much life. On top with all the bait blown apart.

Terry,
    Are you out far off Chatham. Going this weekend. I know they are catching some big ones out at the sword. I was going to head north off the ledge.

19. Riptide

Riptide Banned

Terry,
    Are you out far off Chatham. Going this weekend. I know they are catching some big ones out at the sword. I was going to head north off the ledge.

Most of our fish came within sight of land. Not sure if they will be there after all this wind, but we never even got into 150' of water, all the fish were shallow.

20. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Hi Terry, welcome aboard.:)
    Even I haven't fish with you, I met you on the water a few times.
    Your vast knowledge and reports in Cape Cod will be apprecialted by many mambers here. Thanks for posting report. I might go up there tomorrow or Thursday, probably off Chatham.