Awesome jigs for GOM tuna

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by moonsoft, Jan 27, 2009.

1. moonsoft

moonsoft Member

Well I went on the scat cat 56 hour trip with a ton of these lil babies in my collection, didn't get much of a positive response from the fishermen on the forums, but after I landed 385 lb of blackfin on then I think most of them started to wonder where i got them and how to get them..

when i told them i got 25 jogs for $99.00 (shipping included) i think they about passed out. these are not my jigs, just something I found that worked well and i wanted everyone to see it.

eBay Store - FISHINCOMFORT: Butterfly Style Jigs, Hooks, Saltwater Bags Cases

2. Mitchw123456

Mitchw123456 Senior Member

I was looking at those jigs the other day and they looked tempting

3. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

theyre a copy of river2sea knife jigs. those jigs work well, no reason these wouldnt be good too.

but i would be hesitant to advertise based on just blackfin, they love all jigs ;)

thanks for the link though, those are good prices.

4. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I have bought and lost a bunch of those jigs from the ebay guy. I use them in area's where toothy critters are feeding. The only thing I don't like about them is the little loop of stainless steel wire coming out of the jig. They will only accept tiny split rings. I crammed a Phillips screw driver in the loop to make them bigger, but it still would only take a small split ring. They are very good for the money. If he had them cast (and I told him about it a couple of times) with a larger loop they would be a lot better. Who knows, I haven't bought them in a year so he could have made improvements on them.

Now for the big question.
    How many of those 25 jigs did you lose on your trip?

5. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

He bought a couple from me. :D

6. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

Nice jigs.
    Loads of tuna.
    I trust that you all will enjoy.

7. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

I still use some old school techniques from the early days of the Texas floater trips. I use glow-in-the-dark tape on diamond jigs, covered with some special clear epoxy. Seems to work 3 to 1, compared with the other fisherman I can see. But some of those guys are blind chunking poppers for hours at time trying to connect with YFT. I don't have the patience, I only try for Yft when I know they are there.

8. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I have been using these jigs for a while? They are actually becoming my favorite brand. I don't have to worry when I get bit off and they seem to preform just as well as R2S and williamson jigs.

9. rtran

rtran Senior Member

You never know when fish are there or not you just have to keep fishing.

I had these similar jigs....river2sea. I've never caught anything on them.

10. moonsoft

moonsoft Member

I have bought and lost a bunch of those jigs from the ebay guy. I use them in area's where toothy critters are feeding. The only thing I don't like about them is the little loop of stainless steel wire coming out of the jig. They will only accept tiny split rings. I crammed a Phillips screw driver in the loop to make them bigger, but it still would only take a small split ring. They are very good for the money. If he had them cast (and I told him about it a couple of times) with a larger loop they would be a lot better. Who knows, I haven't bought them in a year so he could have made improvements on them.

Now for the big question.
    How many of those 25 jigs did you lose on your trip?

I lost 6 of them gave 4 of them away to people not getting any bites, and one jig lasted about 8 fish, it had no eyes and still had some paint left and was still catching tuna. I also hooked an amberjack off of it, about the loops, they are alot larger and accept larger rings if you need them to, the nicest thing aout them is that deal you get a bag to hold them all and the assist hooks, which proved to be strong as any other hooks I have used...... cheaper than ss OWNER, but for the money if your that worried about them then get better hooks, otherwise I would have to say I was impressed, because I was cathing fish when no one else was, cept those that were using the benthos speed jigs. (very similar)

And NO these ones don't glow

11. moonsoft

moonsoft Member

yes i bought some of your Williamson, another jig I am going to have to stock up on... thanx Jerry couldn't have landed that AJ without it!!!!!!!

12. rtran

rtran Senior Member

OTI jackal jig is an amberjack killer

13. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

The Jager was my killer this trip, that was the jig on the bent OTI rod.

14. moonsoft

moonsoft Member

Could you link some of these? I find myself stocking up on things like this before another trip... then I dont feel the pinch of the expenses, just spread it out over the time I can't be offshore.

15. rtran

rtran Senior Member

360tackle.com

16. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

Moonsoft, a wise man once said, 'There's no limit on tackle'. I came to believe this in a remarkably short time. There's nothing like opening your jig bag and seeing $1000 worth of jigs. I didn't lose that much tackle on this trip but several jigs and a couple poppers will need replacing. Resist going over to the dark side. There's no coming back.

Fred

17. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

Awesome! I bought like 120 of those from Merrick along with like 45 of the long needle ones!

18. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Quote from Fred-" There's nothing like opening your jig bag and seeing $1000 worth of jigs"

Yeah there is, try picking that bag up!:eek: I only have a "measley" $300 worth of iron in my bag, and the damn thing weighs 60#!!
    I bet McGolfer uses a smal forklift! LoL:D

19. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

listen brian i never bring more jigs and 6 people can lift. my jig box is a 150 quart igloo cooler. i am on my third cooler and the bottom keeps falling out.

20. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

listen brian i never bring more jigs and 6 people can lift. my jig box is a 150 quart igloo cooler. i am on my third cooler and the bottom keeps falling out.

Rick,
    I've got the answer: A larger cooler! :rolleyes:

21. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

I still use some old school techniques from the early days of the Texas floater trips. I use glow-in-the-dark tape on diamond jigs, covered with some special clear epoxy. Seems to work 3 to 1, compared with the other fisherman I can see. But some of those guys are blind chunking poppers for hours at time trying to connect with YFT. I don't have the patience, I only try for Yft when I know they are there.

most the time they(yft) are there, just have to find out what they want.:eek:

patience and persistance pays off.. ask the guys how long I threw poppers on the last trip. ;)