360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow what a trip! we finally got out after several cancelld trips,
my brother a couple of friends and myself, fished on the Renagade out of Pt Pleasant NJ, as soon as we arrived on the first spot we marked lots of tuna.
It didnt take long to hookup and we had double hookup's most of the day
it was epic. We landed well over 20 Bft up to 47'' and many hits and lost fish.

Smith54H Stella8000 perfect setup for these fish.

JiggingMaster Accurate 870N Another perfect setup for tuna this size

·
1,262 Posts
We are seeing some of those smaller fish up here north of the Cape recently, which is great. I'd trade 10 mid 40 fish for 2 65 inch fish any day of the week. Sounds funny, but I am sick of the bigger fish right now.

·
723 Posts
I agree, the smaller ones taste better IMO

Do you think? I actually like the bigger Tuna better. But, I agree that I would rather catch ten smaller ones than two bigger ones.

·
12 Posts
For Tuna, bigger is always better.

There is a rarely known area of the big blue fin tuna that has an equal amount of fat content as the widely known TORO (tuna belly) and that is the flesh around the collar bone (KAMA). This section is nicknamed the “kama toro”, and is rarer and more expensive than the regular toro sections. And only available in big tuna.

Regards,
Adam

·
1,262 Posts
True, from a commercial standpoint. However, I'd give up all the kama tor in the world to catch 10-20 60lb bluefin in an outing.....

Anyway, with the amount of meat you get from a 60lb bluefin....and suggestion of healthy amounts of tuna in one's diet....it doesn;t make sense to catch (or at least keep) more than maybe 2 big fish a year.

Ideally, I'd catch 10 bluefin in a weekend, keep 1, tag 9......and then keep no more for a month or so and then keep 1 again. FRESH is MUCH better than frozen....even if it is Kama Toro.

·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow sounds like a great bite! nice work.

did you get any over 47"?

Thanks, yes we got are under and over fish. There are a few 100LB+ tuna
being caught in the area we fished, i lost a very nice fish.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts