Avet SX 6/4

Discussion in 'Reels' started by fishr1989, Apr 4, 2008.

1. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

My avet is here!! A black SX 6/4 with 50lb Jerry Brown and 25lb Izorline topshot.

This is quite possibly the best looking reel I have ever owned, and can't wait to kill some fish with it.

compared to a Calcutta 100 and Cardiff 400

2. BILLB

BILLB Guest

Sweet!
    my lx should be here soon.

3. Mitchw123456

Mitchw123456 Senior Member

I love my SXs, I've used them from everything from snapper fishing to flinging diamond jigs at jacks from the rocks. They are casting machines!

4. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

Very nice reel
    what are you going after with it?

5. bunile

bunile Senior Member

Cast great and they are tough, youl break plenty of line, set the drag easy at strike , it can slide up and get alot harder quickly. Nice looking and practice shifting the gears while pulling on some weight (fish?) and try to keep winding without stalling too long. It isn't that easy at first, push the knob in or is it flick the lever, get familiar with which is which, just so you don't wait until you are in a fight then try to discover how dothese gear things work, (I admit it, I knew a guy that it happened too,O.K?)Fish tails!!

6. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Is that a 2-speed SX ?
    I used to own one of the first generation SX, very cute little reel.

7. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

yes it is the 2 speed, i hope to catch fluke, striped bass, bluefish, school tuna maybe if i'm feeling brave ;)

It's my first 2 speed and i'm reallly excited about it. I'm also looking for a used single speed if anyone has one they want to sell.

8. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

yes it is the 2 speed, i hope to catch fluke, striped bass, bluefish, school tuna maybe if i'm feeling brave ;)

It's my first 2 speed and i'm reallly excited about it. I'm also looking for a used single speed if anyone has one they want to sell.
    Do you use lower gear for fluke ? :)

9. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

you could, if it's a big fish from deep water or if you had a lot of sinker weight on the line. generally, 'd use the low gear for pulling striper plugs a little slower than the 6:3:1 ratio in high. the low gear is actually 3.8:1, nice and slow for live eels or for big fish that are holding deep, or in the case of tuna, doing the death spiral.

the real way to find what gear I use for fluke will be the go out and catch some, can't wait for the season when I'm out of school! If you are in Rhode Island this summer we should get together and you can try the reel.