Avet suggestions

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Grey Crane, May 24, 2007.

1. Grey Crane

Grey Crane Guest

Interested in upgrading from Torium 30s to Avet reels for casting topwaters. Which Avet do y'all suggest.

2. papio

papio Senior Member

3. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Guest

Which Avet do y'all suggest.

I'm not really sure how to respond to this question without upsetting someone. Let me just say that I can toss an Avet farther than anyone can cast one. :D

By the way, what are these new little icons on the bottom of our post?

4. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

I think it is a new way for the govt. to track us.:eek:

5. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

To cause confusion in the OLD pharts. :D

6. Grey Crane

Grey Crane Guest

So none of the Avet reels work well for casting tuna poppers?

7. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

try an Accurate.. the smaller AVETS dont put out the proper drag to fight a 100 pound tuna..

8. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

All Avet reels are level drag which it not going to cast as well as star drag reel.

In my opinion Avet reel is not yet to the level of Accurate, Shimano, Daiwa, Duel, and Alutecnos. Give it few more years, I am sure they will match or surpass the quality of those mentioned above.

If you have to buy Avet reel to cast popper, I will think the JX Narrow might work. JMO.

Your best bet for conventional casting reel are Shimano Trinidad, Torium, Daiwa Saltiga, Saltist or Penn Torque 200 or 300.
    I do have Penn Torque 200 for $340 free shipping.

Guys, those icons are links to sites that rate articles and information on the web. You'll see those icons around on a lot of sites these days. If you see an article or post thats interesting you can click on the icons to cast a vote for it. Articles with the most votes get ranked higher on those sites and thus are exposed to more people.

fathom likes this.
  9. CJB2679

CJB2679 Guest

I HAVE 2 AVET LX'S 2 SPEEDS
    we went to boomvang 2 weeks ago and the avets did just as good as my shimano's with star drags i like them and imo if you can't cast an avet maybe you should buy a zebco .

10. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

I have a JX Avet and it NEEDS a very educated thumb or you will backlash like you wouldn't beleive.

11. shanker

shanker Senior Member

I have a JX Avet and it NEEDS a very educated thumb or you will backlash like you wouldn't beleive.

Jerry, mag it!

BTW, is Breakfast on for Saturday?

12. Grey Crane

Grey Crane Guest

Guess I better trade in my Toriums and switch to a Zebco. :)

I looked at the Trinidad and didn't like that the spool release was plastic. I tried fishing spinning rigs for offshore casting and just didn't like them. For most people they seem to be the topwater setup of choice, but I just prefer the conventional reels.

If you were considering upgrading from Toriums to a similar but hardier reel, primarily for casting, what would you choose? The Saltiga looks tougher - has anyone used it for a period of time. Any other brands y'all would suggest to fill this niche?

13. DavidG

DavidG Guest

I have a couple of LXs and as Jerry says it takes a very educated thumb. I use the cast control (1st bump of the lever) and it helps some but I would rather throw a spinner if trying to throw for the fence.

Somewhere on Bloodydecks or 97t6tuna there is a link to a NE forum that has a great post on magging an Avet. They're using them for surfcasting to stripers.

14. Mako

Mako Junior member

I am going to have to dissagree. I have several avets, and they are my favorite for light tackle. For livebaiting large yellowfin, you can't beat them. I think they are head and shoulders above Daiwa, and I prefer them over Shimano. I will have to agree that Accurates are still superior. But this thread was about casting, I think there are better reels for casting poppers than avets, the freespool is amazing and tends to backlash the smaller reels. I have the MXL and LX for jigging and they can easily punk out an #80 yellowfin. Plus they are NOT made in Japan

All Avet reels are level drag which it not going to cast as well as star drag reel.

In my opinion Avet reel is not yet to the level of Accurate, Shimano, Daiwa, Duel, and Alutecnos. Give it few more years, I am sure they will match or surpass the quality of those mentioned above.

If you have to buy Avet reel to cast popper, I will think the JX Narrow might work. JMO.

Your best bet for conventional casting reel are Shimano Trinidad, Torium, Daiwa Saltiga, Saltist or Penn Torque 200 or 300.
    I do have Penn Torque 200 for $340 free shipping.

Guys, those icons are links to sites that rate articles and information on the web. You'll see those icons around on a lot of sites these days. If you see an article or post thats interesting you can click on the icons to cast a vote for it. Articles with the most votes get ranked higher on those sites and thus are exposed to more people.

15. CJB2679

CJB2679 Guest

:) Guess I better trade in my Toriums and switch to a Zebco.

i was only trying to say that casting an avet reel is not a hard thing to do
    i don't feel that you need to mag an avet to cast it where you want it to go if nothing else just practice , i have lots of friends that have avets and they don't have a problem casting them either . like i said in my 1'st post we went to boomvang a few weeks ago we were casting top waters no yellow fins >>>>and NO BACKLASHING< <<<<<<<< if you have one just practice.
    everyone know's that the accurrate's are better reels
    but it's like chevy, ford , dodge everyone has there own preffrence .
    good luck

16. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

BTW, is Breakfast on for Saturday?

Yes, don'y know where yet about 9:00

17. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

I'm not bragging, but I can pitch a 6oz surface iron about 80-100' w/
    my little SX. Down side of that is even w/ the bellvilles reversed, I can
    only get 17# @ full lockdown, and it really tightens up the cranking effort.
    I'm a "dumb-thumber" and I adjust it out just like a bass reel, & cast w the
    lever in "bait" position. Also, offshore rods are heavier action(harder to
    load-up) and have longer butt sections. try moving your pivot point up
    or down the rod. You'll know when you find your "sweet-spot". God, now I
    sound like a damn golfer!
    Minnow showed me an AWESOME reel on Cinco. think it's called "blue
    Heaven". Incredible reel in such a small package. something like 27# drag
    @ full? just a little bigger than my Avet SX. Hey MINNOW, can you help me
    out on this one?
    tight lines
    -Brian

18. newman

newman Guest

Ronnie I have to disagree that the Avets don't have enough drag to beat a 100lb YFT. My JX has 20lbs of drag AT STRIKE and over 25lbs at full and STILL with better freespool than star drags. Most guys only use 15lbs to 18lbs of drag on their Stellas or Saltigas and land 100lb class YFT.

Just before the Houston Fishing Show I was playing around in the backyard and was consistantly throwing Tuna Hunters a measured 200'-225' on the 8' Hastings Wahoo Stick. Unfortunately the reelseat was too low on the handle so I could not get maximum distance but am confidant that if the reelseat had been another 4" higher I would have been able to easily pass the 250' mark.

19. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

The Avet's are too smooth for casting....and maybe one day a well designed brake system will be put on an Avet to make one hell of a reel. As far as strength, you can boat most any fish with most any Avet. DeepBlueGulf has a personal goal of boating a huge yellowfin on an Avet SX.....(and he doesn't even drink!)