AVET JX question

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by hamptonsurf, Nov 1, 2009.

1. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

I was looking at one of these today at the Bass Pro Shop in Foxboro. I was thinking about picking one up for jigging groundfish. When I was checking it out, it didn't seem very smooth (as in not as smooth while reeling as my saltists). Was it maybe just this particular demo model....or is that normal for Avets? Also, the tension control seemed very hard to adjust.

2. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

That is normal for avets but I do notice they get a little smoother as soon as you start to use them. I also personally like that more rugged feeling you get from avets and accurates, it reminds me that I'm actually doing something when I turn the handle. I even prefer it to that smooth feeling of shimano's and daiwa's. They feel too delicate and dare I say almost "cheesy".

3. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

small avets bind at decent drag settings. its a problem they need to fix to be considered (IMO) an elite small lever drag reel.

4. Jrzrider83

Jrzrider83 Senior Member

it should be noted that the "binding issue" with avet reels occurs when the reels are operated with drag settings in excess of their specified max rating.

5. hamptonsurf

My intentions are to use the reel for groundfishing (cod/haddock etc) as well as stripers and blues. I have saltists (30 size) but I need a bit more line for deeper drops in current. I'm waiting on a couple of 40s, but thought these avets might be another option. I also hate the way the paint job rubs off the saltists so easily.

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

hampton - were you adjusting the drag while the lever was in strike?

7. hamptonsurf

I put the reel in free spool and it was adjustable....but very very stiff. I thought it might be the particular reel since it felt stiff all around.

8. hamptonsurf

Maybe the HX would be a better option.....bit heavier, but doubles as a tun reel as well.

9. north coast

north coast Senior Member

Hampton,I use the JX and the LX for codfishing. I think you'll like them better than the saltist. I also use the 30 saltist(high speed),but the avets seem to have a bit more torque.Maybe the gear ratio. I don't find them stiff when hauling fish up.

10. hamptonsurf

Thanks....I didn't see the capacity of the LX before, I think that's the one I want. Should be an intersting experiment as this will be my first lever drag jigging reel and possibly my first 2 speed, if I go that route. Are your single speeds North Coast?

11. hamptonsurf

the other kicker for me, though I'll likely still give it a shot, is the lever drag. I'd prefer star drag as its easier to flip it to engage than uch the drag forward.

12. deam

deam Member

Check meltontackle.com they have accurate B2-870 on sale if you want 2 speed. It is a better choice for me. I owned both LX and 870 2 speed. But I like to use my single speed reel more.

13. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

I can't think of any good reason for a two speed when used for groundfishing. That would just be more than you would want/need for that application.

14. hamptonsurf

Thats my thought.....what single speed do you use/prefer?

15. north coast

Thanks....I didn't see the capacity of the LX before, I think that's the one I want. Should be an intersting experiment as this will be my first lever drag jigging reel and possibly my first 2 speed, if I go that route. Are your single speeds North Coast?

I don't own any 2 speed reels. More money, More weight, More things that can go wrong. I can't think of a single time that I wished I had a lower speed.

The lx and the Jx are the same reel,the lx being just a little wider. If your just going to use it for groundfish, and don't need the line capacity, (not too many cod and haddock burning off line):) I'd go with the JX.It's narrower therefore lighter,easier to jig all day.

16. hamptonsurf

My concern was this…My saltist 30s are great, I love them, but I have now fished in currents and deep water where my jigs are on the bottom and I’m into the backing under my power pro…..I don’t like that. I was looking for remedy the line capacity issue. Someday I hope to catch a haddock that requires 25# drag and a quick chase with the boat to regain line, but I doubt it will happen anytime soon.

I believe the JX holds about 60 more yards of 30lb mono than the saltist 30 and obviously the LX hold even a bit more. I plan to run Jerry Brown 60 Hollow, which I read is about 0.3 thicker than the power pro 65. As the LX isn’t all that much heavier, I thought maybe I’d go that route. Maybe the JX is plenty big.

17. hamptonsurf

I think I will buy either the JX or LX in 4.6 retrieve....single speed. My jury is out on the magic cast, but since you can add that yourself aftermarket, I may go with the regular and see how I like it.

18. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

I think I will buy either the JX or LX in 4.6 retrieve....single speed. My jury is out on the magic cast, but since you can add that yourself aftermarket, I may go with the regular and see how I like it.

no need for the magic cast when your dropping straight to the bottom :D

19. hamptonsurf

very true.....I don't know if I'd be casting anytime soon (maybe when in florida, if anything). I've heard the JX is a better reel (more reliable drag) than the LX, but I'm not sure how much line I want to hold. Either is more than my saltist 30, so it may not matter.

20. north coast

Hey Hampton, I sent you a PM on the other site. I have an lx I'm letting go. If your interested. Very reasonable. Read the pm and get back to me if your interested.